2023 Derpibooru Community Collab

tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Seems like guys are already putting up works early on.
Say that a artist wanna redo their submission–maybe an update or any random change of mind. What do be do?
Posted Report
Lil_VampireCJ
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Lil_VampireCJ
Well, if a artist has to edit or change their submission; they can easily do so as long as it is merged with the old one & updated before the due date. I they change their mind completely for wanting that oc, art or themselves in-general invited to the collab; they can remove the tag or take down the piece.
If they do any edits or change their mind after the due date; I do not know but I believe you just contact the staff to either have it removed or edited once its uploaded or while its still being made, that’s just my guess for that part.
Posted Report
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@tehwatever
Yes but Joey has a poop ton of work in putting the collab together in any case. If someone’s going to go through the trouble of isolating characters from a background, why not put in the extra minute to make sure it’s done properly?
Posted Report
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@tehwatever
The lasso tool can be a friend. But most of the time it is your enemy. Especially if there was any aliasing on the original.
I’ve got some spare time this afternoon, I’ll do a pass to show the difference not depending on the lasso can make.
Posted Report
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@saby
For me, one of the really important things to make sure of is that you’re not leaving any floaters which will end up laying over the top of other people’s ponies during composition.
There’s a million ways to do this. This is how I do it.
A big problem is the little white blobs that are close to the outline of the character. They’re non-contiguous, so the way I learned to handle them was to get as close as possible to the main outline (the black line) and then spam magic wands to grab the debris, combined with “select similar”:
Then I use the eraser, set to HARD, to open a gap between the body that we want, and the background we are trying to get rid of. My default base layer is cyan so I can see it. It really helps floaters pop.
In this image you can see another floater that I had to grab with the wand in order to continue the erasure.
Soon enough you’ve outlined the figures, and can dismiss your mask, set the sensitivity to 254, and if you then click anywhere outside the erased outline you should grab only the background.
Save as transparency, and you’ve got something ready to have the outer edge smoothed, or antialiased if you want.
It doesn’t always work, but for me this is a fast and familiar way to clean up backgrounds.
And, because I’m doing it with a brush on a drawing tablet, it’s easy to “smooth out” spots where the outline doesn’t connect to itself, or where the figure’s primary tone is the same as the background, like under the main character’s arm.
That’s just how I do it - there’s others who can make masks super fast and super reliably.
And you can do the exact same thing by working with the outline instead of the background to create the mask. In this case, the background just was super handy to start with.
@Dex Stewart
Here’s mine as promised:
Unfortunately, it looks like you ended up with several versions of the same image - and it looks like most of them have got tags for the collab. So you’ll need to pick the one you want to go with.
Please choose which one you prefer, and zap the collab tags from the rest. Or let me know which one you prefer and I’ll remove the tags from the others for you.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Cherry blossom
Using an on-site link, like:
>>2994361p
works much better. Besides supporting people’s filters, it also makes the image a clickable link.
Unfortunately, your image is both too small, and has a background.
Do you have the original, and can make it the right minimum size and remove the background yourself?
If not, please let me know and I’ll resize it and remove the background for you.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Ciaran
Side by side, yours and mine are practically identical. Good to know mine wasn’t that bad.
For me it’s a lot more time consuming since I basically “redraw” the piece by putting a new layer of solid color over the thing I want to isolate. Opacity 50%. Checking with the magic wand tool if my solid color has some strange gaps on it.
Once I feel like I covered everything, then I create a selection from the solid color layer, then use that as the mask.
Then I can edit the mask for further tweaks.
Takes way longer tho.
Überponya
Artist -

Good time people! I have a question regarding OC. I do not have my own character, but I would like to participate in this event. What should I do if I want to portray an OC from the book universe, for example Morning Glory from Fallout: Equestria — Project Horizons? Who do I need to contact about this? As such, there are no owners of authors-artists, it belongs to the writer, sorry if it’s not. In the 2022 collaboration, I saw BlackJack, but I could not find the author of this picture. Thank you in advance!
Posted Report
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Rule 17:
Due to the nature of this project, all submissions to the collaboration are considered immune to DNPs and takedown requests. If you’re submitting an OC drawn by someone else, please be sure to verify that this is alright with the artist first. Likewise, if you are submitting an OC owned by someone else, please ensure they are ok with it (and not already drawing/having someone else draw their character).
Guess you gotta go find the writer then. Would be kind of an issue if the writer decides you can’t have Morning Glory up in the group photo after Joel had already uploaded the full collab image.
Once you got your permission, make sure to use the 2023 community collab tag and the OC’s name tag to see if somebody already submitted.
Unless certain Fallout Equestria characters are already sort of “Public Domain” in the pony community.
IronYoshi
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag

Best Worst Artist
I’ll post mine in full tomorrow, but I want to know which version I should go with. I know they have to be close together, which is why I’m leaning towards the second image, but I want to know what everyone else feels like I should go with.

First one

Second one
Posted Report
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

PM me your cute OCs
One thing I want to ask to make sure its okay to, can I draw & add a OC to the collab that belongs to a friend of mine that is no longer with us?
Of course
I do not have my own character, but I would like to participate in this event.
Post an anonymous comment, and the pony that the random-avatar-generator creates is your new OC.
Posted Report
Background Pony #301A
Post an anonymous comment, and the pony that the random-avatar-generator creates is your new OC.
Like this. There’s a randomly generated pony OC to the left of this post.
Edit: It’s an orange pegasus with a purplish-gray mane.
Melisareb
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).

rahhhh
Ayo! The collab is open! I’m busy yet, but the Christmas Vacation of my school is on 19th December.
I want my friend, Hsu Amity in on the collab result 😅. Tagged btw.
I’m thinking of my PT OCs are in the collab (Irene & Oscar). For Oscar, he’s a sheep, I can make him in MLP-FIM show (ref in right).
Posted Report
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@☬ ᏝᏆᏁᏨᎾᏝᏁᏰᏒᎬᎳᏕᎿᎬᏒᎱᎯᏁ ☬
Thank you - I’ll take care of it. And, yeah - I want to give Joey the largest image possible, within reason.
@tehwatever
That sounds good - for myself, it’s easier if the “thing below” is the layer I’m working towards, instead of being on top. That might be because I’m used to scraping red film on light tables. There’s so many ways to do this, and like you I’m just using the same process I’ve been using for removing backgrounds since maybe PhotoShop 2.2.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: alright we're done here