looking for critique on new rig

Melvelvin
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

Hey guys! I’ve spent the last few months cooped up working on this twilight rig, I threw together a rough little animation test and I’d be grateful if some folks could share their thoughts. Usually I get feedback from other animators I know but I have no idea how my coworkers would take this project…

(there is sound, click through to the post for it)

Having been the only eyeballs on it as I was making it I worry I may have strayed into the uncanny valley, which I want to avoid.

I’ll put a list of known issues here so folks can avoid repeating themselves:  
  • It’s rendered in eevee, not cycles, so it doesn’t look great overall. The shading and defocus specifically are pretty whack  
  • The lip sync is rough, she’s kind of mouthing in places and I haven’t properly sold a number of the phonemes.  
  • Some of the acting choices are dubious, I would need to either sell that arm swing on “Always glad” way - better, or cut it entirely for something more natural.  
  • the cloth sim is… jank. (The original plan was to use a deform rig, but I ran out of time)  
  • hair is clipping in places  
  • there are still some funky deformations in the nose I have to iron out  
  • an anon pointed out the blinks are way too fast and they’re damn right, I just did blinks for a normal human sized eye without thinking. Good to know!
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide