Ask the mods anything

Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #87CD  
In the UK it was Hooliganism. That was fun ^__^

In Japan it was … confusing. I just remember that we all laughed and I was never to do that again. Basically I was buying tickets to go into train stations to shop a the stores then leaving and the system got confused and I was invited to spend some time with the local police explaining the situation. That was pleasant and entertaining for everyone involved.

In Germany it was because while in America it is not ‘strictly speaking’ illegal to do certain things with phones, like transfer gigabytes … maybe terabytes … of data down the signal channel of an ISDN line without anyone picking up the phone (which means no phone call, so free bandwidth), in Germany the ‘spirit of the law’ means that you should pay for phone calls even if no one picks up. And they’re pretty strict about that. They also have a limit to the number of calls you can make a second. I don’t know the actual number, but it is significantly less than 10,000 calls a second. So, not so much ‘robbery’ as ‘technically it’s not, strictly speaking, illegal, but in some nations exploiting contracts and hardware systems to make thousands of free phone calls transferring entire movies from one nation to another without paying for it is really frowned upon’.

And I was not in Singapore installing that phone switch before we had a license to operate in that nation you can’t prove that was me.

The UK was hilarious though. They literally DO wear those funny hats, and offer you tea when you get to the clink. Basically I went into a bar on game night wearing my normal clothes, was having rollicking fun with boating games with me mates, and got nicked for “Canvas And Trainers” which on the official forms is “Hooliganism”. Mates bailed me out, I changed clothes, we went back out for more drinks. Settling with the dock was fun, too. Just like being in a PBS murder serial.
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Gameplay The Pony  
I don’t know if she was acting, but in all regards every minute with her was like being with Maud. And just based on her Yoga classes and the moves she pulled at the rave, oh my god she’s stronger than she looks.
Background Pony #87CD
@moonchosen
Being in an active shooter situation. They are unpleasant. More unpleasant by a huge factor than being actively shot at. By comparison being in prison in a foreign country was a breeze.

Btw, I may ask why you were in an active shooter situation? Are you a cop of soldier?
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #87CD  
In that case, very much so. The story the writers and actresses shared was that when they were looking for a voice for Maud one of them said; “How about the yoga teacher?” because some of them took yoga classes from Ingrid Nilson and she’d asked about being in the show, and they were like; “Perfect.”

I don’t remember if that was her first appearance on the show, or if she’d previously done Limestone and Marble, but … yeah. She’s perfect in the role.

I don’t know if she kept up the voice through the whole convention just for fun, or if that’s really her voice, but she would say something and it would be like “Bang!” That’s Maud.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #87CD  
No, I just worked in a lot of factories, and sometimes things happened. One time the foreman went home and found his house empty and his wife and the kids gone and a note on the door and the only thing left in the house was his clothes and his personal stuff, so he came back to the office with his pearl handled six-shooters (really, not making that up - he literally had pearl handled long barrel 38’s) and shot a few lights out of the ceiling then started shooting at people.

Not fun.

Kind of situation where you’re not sure if you should dive under furniture or dive out a window, or try to talk to your friend before something worse happens.

Thankfully talking worked.

The next time was similar but in a different company.

The next time was at a community center in a ghetto, basically. Pretty much the same situation each time.

At first I thought it didn’t get to me. But over time it gets to you. Then you realize it got to you.

By comparison, being literally shot at by someone trying to kill me where I didn’t know the person at all was so much less of a problem. It wasn’t a friend who was beyond their ability to cope. It was just a fucker to deal with.

But this is pretty depressing for this thread, so … this is probably the last I’ll say about it. I know some others on staff have similar experiences, or might even be in similar circumstances. I hope they are well, and will not say more on the subject unless they want to talk about it because this is supposed to be a happy thread.

full
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Gameplay The Pony  
There’s other fandoms, MLP will be back, and there’s virtual conventions happening all the time. I’m going to one this weekend, but for a different fandom. A year from now people will probably be planning conventions for 2022.

Comic Con is usually an easy way to get into conventions. There’s enough people who don’t know each other that you can hide in the crowd until you feel comfortable.

And smaller local conventions are awesome because they always need volunteers. Like, people to pick up talent at the airport, people to help show talent around the town or take them on a shopping trip. Lots and lots of chances to get to talk to your heroes.

A year from now things will most likely be very different. Maybe not back to ‘normal’, but a new normal.
deactivated103f39d

@Gameplay The Pony
There’s other fandoms, MLP will be back, and there’s virtual conventions happening all the time. I’m going to one this weekend, but for a different fandom. A year from now people will probably be planning conventions for 2022.
Comic Con is usually an easy way to get into conventions. There’s enough people who don’t know each other that you can hide in the crowd until you feel comfortable.
And smaller local conventions are awesome because they always need volunteers. Like, people to pick up talent at the airport, people to help show talent around the town or take them on a shopping trip. Lots and lots of chances to get to talk to your heroes.
A year from now things will most likely be very different. Maybe not back to ‘normal’, but a new normal.

Small conventions sound very neat and relaxing. Not sure where conventions take place however and the cost for plane tickets would be to get to them.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Gameplay The Pony  
It is what it is. Sometimes you can make it to a convention, sometimes they’re too expensive or too far away. Sometimes you have to make your own convention, but that usually works out better when you’re in school because more people = more easy.

Also small conventions can be OH MY GOD stressful, because everyone knows everyone and you’re always on. If there’s two thousand people at the convention, you can chill between shifts and hang out. But if there’s only 200 people at the convention, then odds are if something needs to be done there’s only a handful of people available so you gotta do it.

So, small conventions and large conventions each have their own levels of stress and challenge.
Background Pony #87CD
@Ciaran

Not sure how in school would work, given that bronies are still considered prime target for bullying and mocking, atleast here. Other than that Cons sound interesting, what do they have?

(Alv nmms, pense que se odiaban :V)
deactivated103f39d

@Gameplay The Pony
It is what it is. Sometimes you can make it to a convention, sometimes they’re too expensive or too far away. Sometimes you have to make your own convention, but that usually works out better when you’re in school because more people = more easy.
Also small conventions can be OH MY GOD stressful, because everyone knows everyone and you’re always on. If there’s two thousand people at the convention, you can chill between shifts and hang out. But if there’s only 200 people at the convention, then odds are if something needs to be done there’s only a handful of people available so you gotta do it.
So, small conventions and large conventions each have their own levels of stress and challenge.

Is that what you think of the matter? Both types must be good.

Have you ever been in a relationship before? I haven’t. I will say that it’s annoying how movies keep showing romance. Like, not every movie needs romance. As for TV novelas, they show the same type of thing. Two guys were friends until they met a girl and then became enemies because of her. It’s a stupid plot that should be extinguished. Would best friends really fight each other just because of a girl in real life? I don’t think so. Also, why do novelas have to be about romance? Why not one about action and aliens? That would be cool.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #87CD  
That’s why I suggest Comic Con as a start. It’s got everything. Comics, super heros, indis, gaming, anime, cosplay, talent, ponies, Adventure Time, even Doctor freaking Who and if you’re lucky a couple of Dead Pools. They’re a great place to start. While your friends are checking out the bondage gear over in the west wing, you can grab some pony time in the east wing. Or vice-versa.

@Gameplay The Pony  
I’m sorry, I don’t really feel like having that kind of discussion here. Too much like work.

Speaking of work, I’m supposed to be getting ready for a meeting, so … later, all.
deactivated103f39d

@Background Pony #87CD
That’s why I suggest Comic Con as a start. It’s got everything. Comics, super heros, indis, gaming, anime, cosplay, talent, ponies, Adventure Time, even Doctor freaking Who and if you’re lucky a couple of Dead Pools. They’re a great place to start. While your friends are checking out the bondage gear over in the west wing, you can grab some pony time in the east wing. Or vice-versa.
@Gameplay The Pony
I’m sorry, I don’t really feel like having that kind of discussion here. Too much like work.
Speaking of work, I’m supposed to be getting ready for a meeting, so … later, all.

You said I made one line sentences, which turned you off. I’ve improved.
Background Pony #87CD
@Gameplay The Pony

That’s something that needs to be discussed during PM, don’t ya think mate? Also, the poor guy’s busy, leave him be, everybody got a life and job to take care for.

Question for other mods that aren’t busy: How do you react to people trying to be friends with you? As in, non mods?

Ah, and how different is the Derpibooru interface of a mod/admin from a regular user?
Fleetfoot
Fleetfoot - For Patreon supporters
Perfect Fleetfoot Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ saucy Fleetfoot images with 350+ upvotes (Perfect Pony Plot Provider)
Woona - To my most special somepony~
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Responsible Disclosure - Lessons from Furbi
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Senior Moderator
Fletch the Enfield
Ah, and how different is the Derpibooru interface of a mod/admin from a regular user?

It’s pretty much the same UI, we just have access to the moderation and site tools menu on the screen’s top right along side bit of additional user info. Since the code is open source there’s really no secrecy on it.

I believe friendship is something that forms with those of your day to day, direct and sometimes forced interactions out of the blue aren’t going to do magic.
Background Pony #87CD
@Gameplay The Pony

I would love to hear your opinions about the mods if you don’t mind.

Btw. Decent…. I found it informative but that’s me. Now I know I need to go to jail to live a good life
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide