The Nerd Thread (comics, movies, anime, cartoons, video games, lore, fun stuff, ect.)

Thanotos Omega
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@Zincy  
I generally focus on the loss of the event over it’s brutality, but did concive of one where the magical juggernaught character finaly has enough of theirt creator and thanks to the creator using a spell to swap their vission we get to see his POV as he is repeatadly slammed into a wall face first as more and more bloood skin and bone is left behind with each impact, until she looks down at his face so he can see the mess she made of it and kills him,
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Dex Stewart

This one was for a rando pleb guard in the middle act. She takes a balista bolt the size of a small tree to the chest during a siege.

The first, but not the last to die in a horrific battle.

@Thanotos Omega

I highlight the brutality to paint a grim picture of just what the heroes are facing.

In this scene, a small legion of soldiers are cut down in the opening volley of the war that will consume most of the 3rd act. Caught off guard in a sudden siege, they end up winning but only a pyrrhic victory. This is before the heroes, or the rest of the world, even knows what’s happening.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
I’m pondering the nature of form over substance within visual media.

I went to see Promare today, it had a limited run in a local theater. And despite being utterly devoid of anything I’d consider “substance” I very much enjoyed it.

Which got me thinking. What is required for a movie to be good on spectacle alone?

And where is the delineation between a popcorn flick, where the movie is mostly spectacle but feels hollow, and one that is mostly spectacle yet still feels fulfilling to watch?

I’ve noticed that it’s more common with animation. Exceptional animation seems to bouy a movie better than a live action film of the same level of cheese.

There is something to be said about the fact that movies are, at their cores, visual and auditory art. They are stories, of course, but stories conveyed almost entirely with motion and sound. And when the motion and sound are extremely good, there is a tipping point where we are willing to forgive a distinct lack of structure.

I’m just not sure what that threshold is, and what constitutes its parts.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Zincy  
I just watched Last Jedi. I think that one works best as a popcorn movie. I also just watched A Troll in Central Park. Not sure what to think of that one.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Dex Stewart

I still maintain that Last Jedi was my favorite of the three sequel films.

Troll in Central Park, there’s a name I haven’t thought of in a long time. Fittingly, it sort of fits into my thoughts earlier. Don Bluth’s animation was always good enough that even when the movie sucked, it was at least pretty.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Darth Prime  
The bomber ship at the beginning had a horrible design. Was that a deconstruction of how so many vehicles in Star Wars are impractical?  
The weirdest thing to me actually was the “….” At the end of the opening text.  
@Penguin Dragneel  
I’d probably bash it more had I not been traumatized by Masters of the Universe Revelation. I’m pretty accepting of change but that just broke me. The next Spiderman movie can go ahead and make Kraven an alien who telekinetically controls a little girl who’s friends with Scorpion who’s a dog now. I’ll at least say that’s creative.
Darth Prime
You are being deceived - Derpi Supporter
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Bronze Bit -
Ruby -
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

@Dex Stewart  
Maybe.  
The Dreadnought scene was more about deconstructing the Death Stars destruction (mostly the first that is) they destroy the enemies weapon by hitting its one weak spot.  
Lotta people died in the Death Star battles but no one really acknowledges it but here we see the cost of war senseless loss of life etc etc.  
Even though Poe on his own destroyed all it’s guns on the top of it saying he needed to or the bombers would have no chance so fat lotta good that did and at that point Poe is so good he may as well destroyed the he big maincannon on the Dreadnought’s underside while he’s at it.

I find it funny that the year before TLJ Rogue One comes out to explain the DS’s weak spot (because everyone was always making fun of that) so no I’m expecting Disney to make a whole movie to explain the First Order Dreadnought’s weak point.
Darth Prime
You are being deceived - Derpi Supporter
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Bronze Bit -
Ruby -
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

@Dex Stewart  
Well actually the story DLC for EA Battlefield 2 ends with the characters you play as delivers the Dreadnought specs to the Resistance.

What I’m talking about is how the Death Star exhaust port was an elaborate trap (that ended up requiring a Jedi to hit it something Galen Urso could not have accounted for).  
So if Disney made an entire movie to explain the Death Star’s weakness to stop people making fun of it they now must dedicate a movie to explaining the Dreadnought’s weak spot.
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Epiphany:  
Them Star Destroyers at the end of Rise of Skywalker were dummies.

Only a handful actually has the firepower to wipe a planet. The rest are just there to intimidate. I mean, who the hell in their right mind would even try to call the bluff?

Imagine hundreds of fake planet busters came to your planet and ax you to surrender or be destroyed. Is you gonna be like “Betcha 10 imperial dollars none of them have the minerals to do it.”
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide