Cartoon/Western Animation General

Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart  
“Bartok the Magnificent” was the only sequel he worked on. (Bluth even admits he hates the “straight-to-video” sequels as much as most fans do)  
Haven’t seen it, but I hear it wasn’t bad.

“All Dogs go to Heaven” was great, though looking back it surprisingly got away with alot of content they don’t allow in kiddy movies nowadays, such as dogs drinking alcohol/getting drunk, smoking, and gambling, (Not to mention the nightmare scene.) Though, it does help illustrate Charlie’s vices well.  
Shame, the original cut was stolen, as it featured longer scenes, and Charlie using the word “damn.” (Said cuss word could oddly still be found on the soundtrack record album which can be found on Youtube, and such.)
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I saw Rock-a-Doodle when I was like two or three. I didn’t remember any of it. When I was eight or nine I read a novelization of it,it felt unfinished. Alot wasn’t explained. Then I watched the movie and found the book wasn’t poorly written,it was just being accurate to the movie.
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart  
I heard Patoo’s narration bits were added last minute to make the movie easier to understand, as it confused test audiences.

Regardless of it’s faults, I still liked the movie, has some nice characters/premise, nice corny musical scenes, great animation, and such, so it’s still not Bluth’s worst.

I hear a few things were edited out to make the movie more kid-friendly, including a scene where the Grand Duke of owls was preparing a skunk in a pie, (the horror!) and Goldie’s cleavage being erased. (Like Rouge the bat in “Sonic X”)
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
My favorite Don Bluth movies are the Dragon’s Lair series, since someone has uploaded this to YouTube and you’re spared the game as such. And the countless coins at the arcade machines. ( Tata-tush!) ;-)

No, just kidding. My favorite Don Bluth movie is Titan A. E. It was amazing to be able to watch it 2000 in the movie theatre. Too bad it was such a financial flop. The movie doesn’t really deserve this. Nevertheless, at the end I have to laugh again and again: New Earth (Planet Bob). And yes, I like animated sci-fi movies in general. Change my mind. ;-D
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@DarkObsidian  
Dragon’s Lair was probably more fun to watch then play.

“Titan A.E.” was truely underrated. Even had some creative alien people designs, and a surprisingly darker tone then other animated movies at the time. It was one of the few that felt comparable to an anime in terms of a “mature” tone, without feeling like an anime, or too “edgy.”
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Beau Skunky

Absolutely. I admit, back in 2000, I had high hopes that this would become the future of modern animated films. No matter how good or how badly this film was criticized. But this hope was destroyed by the financial flop of Final Fantasy: Spirits within at the latest. Not that I think Spirits within was a really good animated film. Especially in the German synchronization there are some very unforgivable failures. But it was unfortunate that it took almost a decade for mature animated films in the West to become somewhat “socially acceptable” again.

And even then it’s almost exclusively about the realisation of Marvel/DC superhero stories. I miss movies like Starship Troopers: Invasion 2012. The Sequel Traitor of Mars (2017) was already much better. Yes, of course. They were Eastern animation movies. But already in 2001 I would have liked to have seen the potential for animated films for adults. This was probably due to the difficulty of technical feasibility at that time. But still today I don’t see much animated films or series that are really suitable for a purely mature audience. Schade.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@DarkObsidian  
Final Fantasy: Spirits was alright, but nowadays it’s CGI while impressive for the time is seen as “uncanney-valley,” and “creepy” nowadays, as “realistic” style CGI just doesn’t sit well with those whom prefer more stylized animation, and the human eye can spot uncanny-valley easily. Kinda a shame, because I like seeing other animation styles besides the usual Pixar/Dreamworks style.

But yeah, “mature, but not too mature” animated movies are hard to come by, as TV & Hollywood’s idea of “maturity” is teenager poopy/sex humor. And while that’s ok sometimes, it’s hard to find “mature” animation that focuses more on action/adventure/seriousness. (Aside from anime, and DC animated “straight to video” movies.)
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Beau Skunky

Indeed. Apart from the question of funding, I sometimes wonder why there is such a lack of faith in being able to achieve commercial success with the right form of animated films today. But at least some streaming services seem to be more open. Of course, I would never have too high hopes here. Success and failure are often very close together.
Dex Stewart
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I just finished watching Cinderella 2. It’s actually pretty good,it’s three segments,of which the third is really strong. One of Cinderella’s stepsisters learns that she can go against her mother and do what she wants.  
The animation is nice for a direct to video sequel. The only really odd thing is the songs. They feel out of place to me. They’re not the worst though.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Dex Stewart  
Seemed kinda cheap though Lucifer the cat was still alive, after what happened in the first.

My friend Anna calls “Cinderella 3,” “Cinderella 3: The Butterfly Effect.”

@DarkObsidian  
Unfortunately, it seems like animated films nowadays just stick to the same style of visuals, and storytelling that’s been profitable for the past 15 years. Hate to sound like a geezer, but very few films seem to take risks, or try to be unique.
Red-Supernova
Betrayal! - Betrayed their team for a badge. Shame forever!
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Thread Starter - The Mega Man thread!
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Passionate opinionator
@Dex Stewart  
The NC made a big mistake about Sandler’s character in that episode though.

@Dex Stewart  
There was a novelization to Rock-a-Doodle? Interesting.  
And that doesn’t surprise me. I felt like more explanations to how their world worked were in the development cycle but they didn’t have enough time since Don Bluth was going through a bit of pride of trying to challenge other Disney movies. I actually headcanonned the plot holes back then. Yeah, all that over an obscure Don Bluth movie!

@Beau Skunky  
I still think its a decent flick as well. Also, Peepers is still the best character. full

@Dex Stewart  
It was always kinda weird that DisneyToon Studios wanted to make a redemption arc for one of the stepsisters despite years of abuse towards Cinderella.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Red-Supernova  
Peepers was great. (And voiced by Sandy Duncan, whom was a G1 MLP pony.)

Almost all movies have novelizations. I even have my Dad’s one for “Hook.” (R.I.P. Robin Williams.)
Dex Stewart
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
I just finished watching the Captain Underpants movie.  
Pretty good. It kinda drags on, though. The film looks absolutely beautiful,some of my favorite cg animation ever. It seems like it was made with the expectation it wouldn’t get sequels,the first couple books are amalgamated together,hitting alot of iconic scenes. I didn’t care for the new personality for Poopypants. He’s an entertaining but cliche villain in the film compared to the book. When Flip-o-rama actually made it into the movie,I’ll just say I never really understood the term “fangasm” until then. Took me right back to second grade talking to my friends about how a Captain Underpants movie would need to include it.  
My only big complaint is the voices,the actirs all give a good performance,but alot felt miscast. I’m not a fan of casting stars for animation in place of people with unique voices or actual proffesional voice actors.  
Melvin was pointless. He should have been cut.  
So,fun flick,could have been better,but still good.
Dex Stewart
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@WyrmSpawN  
Okay,I just thought he felt superfluous. Actually the cafeteria lady who liked Krupp felt out of place more. I guess she works in the movie,just felt weird seeing the story go in such different directions from the books.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide