Clarification on Derpibooru's policies regarding traced images

Paradox_Brony

Sunset is Best Girl
Not necessarily regarding tracing, but does Derpibooru have any policy against the somewhat severe editing of a dead artists work?
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Paradox_Brony  
Same as for any other artist: Don’t make it into something they’d probably hate, at least not without rendering it rather unrecognizable as originally coming from them.
Paradox_Brony

Sunset is Best Girl
@The Smiling Pony

Yes, but also a specific uploader. Generally this isn’t a bother and I assume everything is on the up and up.

But when I saw this post,  
https://derpibooru.org/2175919  
I realized that the uploader was taking different pieces of art from different artists and editing them in the same manner.

Again I don’t think it’s a large issue but I did some looking before coming here and that’s when I noticed that the artist of this image had been missing from the internet for over a year.

Since ideas of diversity and inclusion are these days more heavily tied to politics I don’t know if it’s right to take these pieces of artwork without asking the artist if they’re comfortable with somebody editing them in this manner.
Paradox_Brony

Sunset is Best Girl
@Derpy Whooves

The reason I didn’t report in the first place was because I wasn’t sure if this was a policy that Derp had. If it’s not a policy that the site has then I can’t report it right?
Derpy Whooves
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@Paradox_Brony  
If you don’t know what rule to use, just use “Other” and explain the problem that you see in the text field, but in general what you’re talking about is Rule #1 - If you report an image for Rule #1 and we disagree we’ll reply to you and talk with you about why we ruled the way we did. Your question has nothing to do with tracing - please PM me if you still have questions, and please report the image that you think is a problem.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Amity (徐詩珮)  
If you consider any of their drawings to be traces or recolors of your work, please report them. If they are derivative of your work (traces or recolors) then your copyright is retained and we will take them down if you would like. In the meantime I am still working on contacting the other artist.
MMFAN
Artist -

Always Ready To Learn
As a rule I always ask first before doing a color edit, I add both my artist:_mmfan tag as well as the original artist:_username to the tags and link the original sketch in the source. I up the resolution, but that is largely the only change I make so I get cleaner lines. I’m curious where I fall within the policy guidelines.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@MMFAN  
If you are crediting the original artist (and even if appropriate providing a link to the original image either in the description or as the Source_Url of the upload), and as long as the original artist is ok with color edits (ex: they don’t have a DO NOT POST that does not permit color edits) then you should be ok.

The only problem with color edits is that changing the characters in the original image may run afoul of our Rule #1 - for example if you remove or change an OC in the original image, or change one of the characters into an OC, then we call that an ‘OC Edit’ and generally speaking those are Rule #1.

It looks like you ran into one artist once who didn’t want their work here, but other than that your uploads seem fine.

If you’re not sure though, and have something in mind that you’d like to do, feel free to PM me and I’ll ‘work the process’ to see if there’s any foreseeable problems with what you’re proposing. That’s no guarantee than an artist might not complain afterwards, which is their right, but at least then you’ll know that the image isn’t taken down due to something that was foreseeable.
MMFAN
Artist -

Always Ready To Learn
@Ciaran

The last couple of years i’ve gotten better at anatomy, so I actually draw my own stuff nowadays, but its still interesting to see where the old me stood. Thank you for the quick reply and in-depth answer. :)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide