DNP breech being ignored

Grapefruit Face
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Me & My Delusions
Just because the base is free to use dosent mean the finished art is also free to use.
I’ve recently been trying to help EJFrieLightningArts007 get a edit of one of his vectors taken down. But each report is denied. It’s evident that RozyFly10 didn’t use the original base and instead edited EJ’s finished piece. The edit is also a personal attack on EJ.
I don’t understand why RozyFly10 is allowed to edit EJ’s work. EJ is even on the DNP list for “no edits” and himself as stated he does not approve of this edit.
If you read the comment, he says Rozyfly10 broke the contract of the “re-use” line in EJ’s original image description by not crediting and creating derivative content (replacing Misty with Sprout). EJ also claims that RozyFly10 has harassed him in the past.
I believe RozyFly10’s edit should be removed from Derpibooru.
Posted Report
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Grapefruit Face
They BOTH traced many of the parts that line up perfectly from here, from Feb 2022, an earlier trace made months earlier than EJFrieLightningArts007’s, reapplying the original base per what appears to be the original trace, and RozyFly is the only person where there’s any public record of them asking for and receiving permission.
Never leap to assume person A is tracing from person B, because too often you’ll find they were both were tracing something older.
Should BOTH of those be taken down for violating the licenses of the base makers and tracing small-brooke1998’s work? Arguably, EJFrieLightningArts007’s should be. But RozyFly had prior permission from small-brooke1998. And it doesn’t seem that small-brooke1998 minded EJFrieLightningArts007’s reuse of their work. And none of the people actually involved are making any accusations here, so it’s a wash.
This kind of mess is a problem that happens with a lot of DA images where people use bases then try to claim ownership, with people iteratively re-tracing each other and claiming ownership of things they actually traced from someone else, sometimes with, sometimes without permission, and often there’s an older work that it turns out everyone also copied from.
Perhaps, the solution is to document the sequence of tracing both of those people did in the descriptions of their uploads. Including pointers to where one of them asked for permission first.
That way at least everyone in the tracing pipeline would receive their due credit.
But doing that also feels like it would be unnecessarily harsh, and shaming.
Please drop it.
The whole thing is a convoluted mess of tracing and accusations, with people claiming ownership for OTHERS of things that were obviously stolen line-for-line from someone not even named in the mess. In the end it just looks like the person you are attacking checked more of the boxes than the others in the same mess and did the least wrong in this case. And this is just the surface level. The details run several rabbit holes deeper.
Grapefruit Face
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Me & My Delusions
No I will not “drop it”. Even if EJ traced from Small-Brooke1998 (which he didn’t, just referenced at most), Small-Brooke1998 is friends with EJ but not friends with RozyFly10.
Also you’re forgetting that EJ re-traced the entire base into his own vector which is what RozyFly10 took without credit or permission.
I’m not talking about ownership of the base. That’s free to use. But EJ’s original work (mainly the manes, tails and accessories) were stolen. The moderators took down a similar edit which took a picture of an OC and Izzy and changed it into Izzy and Sugar Moonlight which was made upon a base. What’s so different about this?
Posted Report
Grapefruit Face
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Me & My Delusions
Small-Brooke1998 only said Rozy can take inspiration from her art. Not trace. So even by your delusional logic RozyFly10 is still breaking an artists wishes.
The only reason the results match is that EJ traced from small-brooke1998, too.
You seriously think that it was line up that perfectly if they just traced from Small-Brooke1998? Seriously how delusional are you?
Posted Report
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
I didn’t work the actual report and don’t have the DIFFs that show who traced who. I’ll look to see if someone on staff still has them.
In the meantime, please stop insulting and attacking everyone who disagrees with you about this.
Posted Report
Small Brooke
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag

Small Brooke
That is not true! I never told Rozy to trace, I just allowed him to take inspiration but not steal my art piece. And also, EJ didn’t steal my artwork and edit it, he used his own original base (from the artist) to make it. And oh, he used a different color palette for the characters (which are similar to the colors of the character from early merchandise and the magazines). Heck, in my version, Zipp and Pipp are in different places. And oh, I edited out the flying Pegasus base in the edit base edit and only have 5 ponies.
Rozy did in fact reuse EJ’s vector art and edited it, and yeah he did ask me if he could “reuse” my edit a year ago which I totally refused, so of course when I told him he couldn’t, he didn’t use my base edit. But Rozy didn’t ask EJ and just straight out used the vector.
Do things your way but EJ never stole my base edit. Inspiration is one thing but tracing and editing is another.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
which I totally refused
I am sorry, that wasn’t clear from your exchange with them on DeviantArt. In any case, Grapefruit Face is a third party and their claim to these works is on behalf of others, and there has never been a claim that the work should be taken down because of your work from last February.
In any case, I never meant to imply that you told RozyFly to trace. Only that you said they could reference off of your work.
Referencing, base used, copying - all of these are indistinct words. For us things are edits or traces.
That said, your copyright is reserved, and if you would like RozyFly’s image taken down we will take it down, because there is no question it is derivative of your work from last February.
I can not take it down due to a violation of EJ_Lightning_007’s work, but if they would like to appeal it they absolutely may. But, as far as I can see, they have not.
If you would like RozyFly’s work taken down, let me know and I will do so.
If you would prefer that we instead add your artist tag to RozyFly’s work, we will - this is described in more detail in our policy concerning traced images.
It’s your call.
EJ never stole my base edit
Hmmm … as I said before, I would have to go back to the diffs. I thought that their image was more line-for-line with your’s than EJ’s.
But, that is really a red herring at this point.
If you would like RozyFly’s word deleted for Rule #1 just give the word.
And I’ll go see if anyone on staff has the DIFFs from the original discussion from 2 weeks ago.
Posted Report
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Doesn’t look like anyone else from staff who worked on this is around, so I did some math myself. Please excuse the mess while I build out this process here.
Looking at the differences between Small Brooke’s >>2810684 and Rozy Fly’s >>3023436 (merged), and taking into account the reported base that was used, here are the differences between Rozy Fly’s >>3023436 (merged) and the reported base:
thumb
And now and Rozy Fly’s >>2810684 and Small Brooke’s >>2810684:
thumb
Under our policy concerning traced images we would take down >>3023436 (merged) if Small Brooke requested it.
Now, looking at the differences between EJ_Lightning_007’s >>2964107 and Small Brooke’s >>2810684:
thumb
Under our policy concerning traced images we would take down >>2964107 if Small Brooke requested it.
… working …
Background Pony #89A9
@Ciaran
Hi Ciaran, just another 3rd party here. I know you have a lot on your plate, and I think you’ve got a few things mixed up here.
Small Brooke’s, EJ’s, and Rozy’s all are derivative of AngelLight’s base. The base includes only bodies and faces, no manes, tails, or accessories.
To my eyes, neither EJ’s nor Rozy’s is derivative of any of the unique elements of Small Brooke’s. I don’t see why Small Brooke would have any sway over either EJ’s or Rozy’s images.
Rozy’s contains some identical parts from EJ’s: Izzy in entirety (with addition of hooves/fetlocks), the shapes of the upper half of Pipp’s mane and ornament, the shapes of Sunny’s mane, tail, and bag.
Posted Report
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Small Brooke’s, EJ’s, and Rozy’s all are derivative of AngelLight’s base
Very understood. That’s the whole deal, really. But, I would not be in the least surprised if I’ve got some things mixed up. I’m trying to recreate a crime scene from 2 weeks ago.
Let me get the last piece in place - the comparison of EJ’s and RozyFly’s images … then I’ll have more to say I think.
Posted Report
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Picking up from here, if you lay both EJ’s image and Rozy Fly’s image in Photoshop and calculate the differences between the gray layers, you get:
Now … Here’s the tricky bit.
Does EJ have a copyright? Yes, I think so. But it is a derivative copyright, for sure.
But derivative of what? Of the original base? Or of Small Brooke’s image?
Just running the diff between them, there’s enough similarities between EJ’s and Small Brooke’s image that if Small Brooke asked for EJ’s to be removed then it probably would have been.
Just as if Small Brooke asked to have RozyFly’s image deleted I would do so right now without hesitation.
The problem though is when comparing EJ’s to RozyFly’s. RozyFly’s is also derivative of EJ’s, but is EJ’s derivative copyright sufficient to make a copyright claim on others who use - in part - their edit to make another edit?
Generally speaking, I think they should. But this is a case-by-case thing.
When staff looked at this two weeks ago they determined that EJ’s claim was not strong enough to ask for other people’s works derivative of their work be deleted.
That said, should RozyFly have used THIS MUCH of EJ’s image to make their’s?
Heck no. I think that was a very bad idea and as should be obvious to everyone was a real dick move ((my full apologies to any Richards in the house).
But is it a “Delete that image right now” dick move?
Two weeks ago the answer was “No.”
So - here we are.
I personally believe that Small Brooke’s work is transformative enough that it stands alone as a separate instance of copyright.
And I believe that both EJ’s and RozyFly’s images are close enough to Small Brooke’s that they are … given that these are all bases of the same thing … derivative of Small Brooke’s.
But is RozyFly’s image derivative enough of EJ’s image that EJ can ask to have RozyFly’s image deleted?
Two weeks ago, staff said “No.”
This is the problem with “Base Used” - everyone who uses the base is derivative of the base. And far too often they end up derivative of each other.
Give us something where an artist drew something unique and original, and someone traced it - THAT is what we’re set up to handle.
This stuff where everything is based on a base? Ouch.
Add to this we have a third party speaking on behalf of artists where the artist hasn’t indicated that person has a right to do so, and given that our Takedown stuff starts with the stipulation that ONLY THE ARTIST can ask for a takedown or make a copyright claim on someone else’s work, and here we are.
So - I think that’s how we ended up where we are.
Is this what should have happened? I don’t know.
But, for Next Steps:
  1. If Small Brooke wants RozyFly’s image deleted I’ll be happy to talk to staff to see if that can happen, because I really believe Small Brooke has a valid claim.
  2. And if EJ wants to appeal the decision made 2 weeks ago for the original takedown request, all they have to do is ask on Support on our Discord channel and hopefully there will be enough staff around to help discuss it some more.
I think this is how we got here, and where we are at - Am I missing anything?
Posted Report
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@saby
Thank you - I haven’t been able to find it. My SearchFu is probably weak.
If you think I’m missing anything please weigh in. Because we’re dealing with “Base Used” images here, lot of this is in the “Or What” category where we don’t really fit in with a lot of what happens on DA.
Posted Report
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Just for giggles, does anyone have the time to calculate the difference between RozyFly’s and EJ’s images from the original base, and then calculate the differences from the results? That should show the actual ‘these things are like the other’.
I’d do it but I need to get back to the day job. If no one else does, I might try later this week.
Posted Report
Background Pony #89A9
@Ciaran
Sure.
I filtered each for contours only (because differences in color fill are trivial and may vary with color profiles, etc.)
I excluded the background from Small Brooke’s because none of the others included a background, and the background in question was itself a resource from elsewhere.
I excluded any contour that originated from the initial base, because that is a freely-usable resource and is not an element made by any of the 3 individuals being discussed here.
Top is the base. First row is each of Small Brooke’s, EJFireLightningArts’, and RozyFly10’s. Middle row are diffs. Bottom row shows contours present in both images being compared.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Problem resolved.