Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@Cyborg  
Seconding that it would definitely have to be opt-in. Otherwise it would be a massive privacy issue (stalking, doxxing).
Background Pony #0F89
A way for tag short descriptions to be presented/viewable in both the autocomplete/tag suggestion dropdown, and the tag editing UI itself. Tag short descriptions currently pop up as a tooltip if you mouse over a tag’s link when it’s on an image, but not in the autocomplete/suggest dropdown nor while they’re in the fancy tag editor.

Rationale: the tag short descriptions often contain notes and hints about how certain unintuitive tags should be used (for example, neon lights) so it would be directly useful for them to appear where you do tagging.
FakkaJohan
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Artist -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Hi, this isn’t a very big feature, but it annoys me slightly.  
2 of the dropdown menus on the ‘action bar’ contain only one element. Perhaps it would be better to just replace the dropdowns with just that button it contains.  
like this:  
full
Winter-Moon
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

The Lost Sisters
@Spitler  
While I agree with the “comment” one, I feel like the “image” one should stay

Say a new member comes to Derpibooru, and sees that. She or he would probably be wondering, “Random what?”
The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Spitler  
The “Activity” dropdown used to link to pages showing recent images based on different search categories, plus a dedicated page showing an excerpt of them all. That was ages ago before several improvements to the search engine and additional queries (like searching by date, popular, etc.).

It’s an artifact of the past and overall could use a redesign, so long as no functionality is lost (ie. still have easy access to 1st pages, homepage, random, etc.)
FakkaJohan
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

@The Smiling Pony  
Never knew there used to be more stuff under images, that’s really interesting!

I don’t think any functionality would be lost. All images are visible on the homepage (and when you search ‘*’), the homepage is still easily accassible with the button directly above ‘images’ and ‘activity’ doesn’t seem to do anything.

Or, if you want to keep the ‘images’ button, it’d an option to put both buttons next to eachother
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
Could tag locks have multiple levels, so needing to prevent/enforce one specific tag on a picture wouldn’t have to mean disabling tag edits altogether?

I was thinking following levels:  
  • single tags locked  
  • tags fitting a query or regex, like forbidding “op is*” tags from being added  
  • tag groups (prevent editing rating or character tags but allow other changes)  
  • all tags locked.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@saby  
A single tag or number of tags can be locked on an image.

Often the entire thing is locked simply because locking the ability to add or remove a tag just results in people getting creative; if they can’t add “this is shit”, they’ll add “th1s is shlt” and so on.
Masem
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag

Might be worthwhile in the site headers to reminder users of Rule #1 and length limits of webm from official media, with the new movie in forms available to make webm’s from. Haven’t seen too many offenses but there have been a couple. Could replace the current part about camrips which no longer should be a concern.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score

Is it possible to have the automatic DNP kickout (which prevents uploads containing artist tags for those on the DNP) be constructed to also toss up a warning notice if such tags get added after an image is uploaded? Obviously not something which would delete an image outright because trolls would kill the entire site within days, but the same kind of Can’t Let You Do That, Starfox notice you get if you forget to add a rating tag on initial upload.
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@TexasUberAlles  
Warning, maybe, but block, no. It’s the main/only way for “no one except me and bob and completely unknown people that commissioned me and also stuff posted on a Friday at 10AM” and other custom exception stuff to get added.

It’s easier to just moderate people that abuse the current mechanic than to design and implement the four dozen known edge-cases for it and then still moderate the people that abuse it anyway.
Background Pony #0F89
@TexasUberAlles  
@The Smiling Pony  
Rather than warning the tagger, wouldn’t it be more useful for that event to auto-generate a report on the post? And, wouldn’t it be better for that to happen silently, without a warning, since you wouldn’t want to influence someone to stop identifying posts with a DNP artist tag?

Even if that only occurred for simple DNPs, such as “artist upload only”, I’d imagine that would reduce user burden and improve response time and thoroughness.
Wiimeiser
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

(Foil Hat)
@The Smiling Pony
@Background Bat #0F89
Necro for my two cents: There’s been a couple of instances of The Minuscule Task being added to cover arts for paid art packs, as well as a meme edit and an old commission from several years ago that should have been uploaded before but wasn’t, but he’s the only artist I’ve seen “necessary workarounds” for. On the other hand, most artists who issued full takedowns along with DNPs in the last 15 months do not want their art associated with Derpibooru due to nazis, most notably Dilarius who had their entire account and all contributions wiped from the site (don’t know about forum posts though if they were I wouldn’t be surprised if they were nuked entirely) so maybe making artist:dilarius and the others forbidden tags would be justified then…
@TexasUberAlles
I had to look around to see what you meant by that… “Background Pony” and “Batpony” have the same initials, so you should have just used the full words…
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Wiimeiser
The number of instances of people uploading images with permission / approved circumstance far outnumbers the instances of people uploading from artists under full DNP.
Your constant, incessant, never-ending complaining about DNPs from certain artists at every possible opportunity is also really god damned annoying and helps nothing and nobody.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score

I wish more users who upload stuff with special permission would actually say so in the image description; I’ve reported a bunch of images for coming from sources with some version of “do not repost my art”, and just ended up wasting Ciaran’s time because the BP who uploaded them got permission to do so.
JP
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
Now that we just got a fresh batch of new site assistants, I started to think how nice it would be if tag additions made by assistants/mods/admins would be somehow indicated directly in the tag editor (thicker borders or alternate colors, for example) so you can quickly see if the tag you’re about to remove perhaps should not be removed, without having to consult the tag history.
I don’t know how many people would care about those indicators, but at least the site tries to warn them.
GlitchedWolf
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Derpbooru Free Edition!?
@JP
I’m voting against this, Doesn’t really seem necessary. If someone decided a tag shouldn’t be on an image I doubt a slightly thicker border would make them reconsider much, and we aren’t perfect. Mods can mess tags up sometimes either due to misunderstanding or not double checking after merges / mass tagging. The times where the mod warning is more helpful is during cases of someone removes or adds a tag and a mod decides against that and adds back or removes their tag. User in question would then check tag history and see it was a mod decision.
It would mostly end up just making the tag sections look messier than they are.
JP
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
@TheGlitchedWolf
I guess you’re right, I didn’t think about those points at all. And you’d have to explain somewhere on the page what the different style means == more space taken up.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@TheGlitchedWolf
What are your thoughts on an altered proposal where the tag gets the emphasis if it is changed by a mod, changed again by a user, and then reverted by a mod? Rather than emphasize any tag a mod touches, emphasize the ones where they reverted a previous edit?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide