Hiding memes by default

The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
So, I just got back from 5 or so days off the site and wanted some nice Cadance images, because I bloody like Cadance, OK?

And I got roughly 150 meme images and 20 actual images.

So, serious suggestion time; should we hide memes outright? By memes, I mean stuff like “screaming armor”, “nature is so fascinating”, “TV meme” and all those good old no-effort memes, not stuff like someone drawing a RD as Vegeta screaming “It’s over 8000!” or whatever.

Thoughts? Insults (oh, I know you have those)? Ideas?

Boop, poll thread here
Background Pony #9A8D
Personally, I don’t think meme is overly disturbing or annoying unless they are spammed en masse, which usually only happens 1-2 weeks after the birth of a meme.

This is probably an unpopular opinion though, and I don’t have problem with it being hidden by default.
RIG
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Thread Starter - Five Nights at Freddy's thread
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

The Anti-Normies
you mean hide automatically anything tagged “meme”? well, i don’t have any problem.

edit: just tell me when it happens.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
I’m thinking the “meme” tag as it is is to broad, as it does contain things that are memes but are actual art.

Maybe tag all these copy-paste memes with “exploitable meme”? And have that one autohidden?
shyflutter
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

Please do it. Hide the entire “meme” thing. I know someone who hardly ever visits derpibooru because there’s so little art you can cast your eye on. When I’m logged out I’m indeed always surprised how cluttered this page looks.
Kazapsky
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Five scoops of ice cream
I’m kinda ambivalent. Some meme images are actually pretty funny, some are just bleh - even amongst instances of the same meme.

Although I must say that a lot of the “Cadance laughing at your misfortune” images are in pretty poor taste.
RIG
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Thread Starter - Five Nights at Freddy's thread
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

The Anti-Normies
i think this is a good way to avoid losing new users that by looking the main page in one of those unlucky days a meme is spammed to dead ragequits (before even realizing they can filter stuff).
Background Pony #DF22
Perhaps spoiler memes in general and outright hide the “exploitable” ones. Do we have a tag for those yet?
Background Pony #DF22
Perhaps spoiler memes in general and then outright hide the “exploitable” ones. Do we have a tag for those yet?
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Background Pony  
We do not. And if we do spoiler/hide something, I think it really should just affect the exploitable ones.

Those being stuff like TV Memes, the scary door, chikun, twiface, reaction if X, same voice actor, etc; the sort that are pretty much just copy-pasting one thing onto another or slapping on some text.
when she felt her wings unfold
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

Goodbye Ponk Pie Hat
Spoilering clutters the page up with nigh-identical images as much as just showing. They should be hidden by default.

But we can’t hide just “meme” by default. Direct uses of lazy cut-and-paste / exploitable / template memes, sure: hide those. References to memes in non-lazy artwork shouldn’t be hidden thought, and I’d suggest “meme reference” for that just to be more explicit.
boz
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Thread Starter - The evil council continuation

It’s maybe too much because in this case, memes aren’t made to offense anybody(in most case) and so aren’t in the same league as grotesque, explicit and other default hidden tags can be.

I can understand the idea behind it though, but I don’t get why spoiler some, if it is to get rid of their annoyance by number, spoilers will only turn pages of annoying memes into pages of annoying, exactly identical, spoiler images.
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@boz  
Yeah, spoilering wouldn’t do anything.

I’d like to hide because we’re already almost memebooru. Look at how much crud we’re getting from the last IDW comic alone; god knows what will happen when S4 actually starts and new reaction images and exploitable scenes pop up.
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
Let’s all remember the last several times I went ahead and did something I thought would be for the betterment of the site.

Oh right, they all ended in people calling me an autistic faggot dictator.
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
Also another reason I’m floating this here and doing nothing is because I can’t really do anything. I’m on the shittiest mobile nets possible on a terribly old netbook, so the concept of active moderator work, much less admin work or mass retagging is straight out of the question for me atm. I also don’t want to just dump the task on another mod and then just vanish while they deal with the inevitable fallout.

Plus I’m used to being the one people blame for everything, I’ve kind of grown to enjoy it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide