Generation One MLP Cartoon Roundup

Kazapsky
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Five scoops of ice cream
@Amethyst_Crystal

Moochick’s cluelessness during the “Finding a Home” song was at an all-time high, to the point where this usually-annoying quirk managed to loop all the way back around to be hilarious.

Cookies to anyone who gets why the Taj Mahal was an incredibly inappropriate option.
ender1200
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

I’m watching the movie… in short bursts.  
Mostly because this time around i really don’t like the villains. I really can’t stand the whole “dumb incompetent henchman” trope (guess who are my least liked ponies in G4) and the two daughter witches are playing it as straight as a laser beam (In deep space).

Edit: The smooze song sounds like a commercial jingle. I know that the movie is in the end an marketing tool, but personaly I think that kids movies should not be used to advertise elderich spells of mass destruction. It’s just unethical ;)
Amethyst_Crystal
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Goth Hippie Nerd Pony
@ender1200  
I feel like the witch sisters are interesting with their family issues and incompetence with magic, not to mention so bad that they’re even openly mocked by the ponies themselves at one point. Their weird ‘opposite tastes’ in food is cute too.

That said, they certainly could be considered ‘incompetent henchmen’, and that’s definitely a love it or hate it kind of characterization.

‘Nothing Can Stop the Smooze’ sounds more like some catchy oldies song to me, honestly. :)
ender1200

@Amethyst_Crystal  
‘Nothing can stop the Smooze’ dose have this oldie quality to it, but so do many commercial jingles. It’s still my favorite G1 song so far.

@Kazapsky  
The Taj Mahal was incredibly inappropriate for the same reason the pyramids were - It’s a giant tomb!
Sjogre

Alright, I am finally going to stop slacking off and right this thing, although I’ll just stick to pointing stuff out instead of a full writeup.

Thank you, Amethyst_Crystal, for moving the thread along.

Movie begins, with the theme song interspersed with scenes. I kinda like that, and wish more things would use the method. Somewhere, there’s a video of all of the My Little Pony theme songs. After we get to the series proper, I’ll have to post it.

Spring rolls in without any aid from the ponies, although they are having a concert for the woodland critters.

Oddly, despite the G4 ponies being stewards of nature, few of them can communicate with animals the way that all of the G1 ponies could. Rather than being an ability common to all, it’s a rare talent, that we’ve only seen Fluttershy possess. You’d think that such a talent would be more common among the group that actually needs it.

The movie is where we first see the ponies that will appear in the series. Spike is one of only two characters to jump from the specials to the series. Three, if you count the Rainbow.

He’s a handy being with a piano, and is in something of position of responsibility here. Spike will go back to being more of a kid in the first part of the series, but as he gets some focus, he’s start to be something of a leader and diplomat.

The witches of…. whatever that mountain is. Reekle and Draggle seem to genuinely like each other, but Hydia is just plain a bitch. Her daughters aren’t coming out as evil as she’d like, but that’s really her fault. They’ve got a great big legacy of evil, but Hydia has just been letting them slack off around the house instead of taking them terrorizing.

Seeing some of the extended witch clan would have been cool, when you get down to it.

This is also where it’s first revealed that Dream Valley was originally a terrifying hellhole. That’s actually going to come up at least once more that I can recall, and explains why so many monsters and villains live in the area.

I can’t name all of them off of the top of my head, but the baby ponies in the dance line will all appear later. I was actually kind of surprised to realize that I recognized them all from later episodes.

G1 Spike, like his later counterpart, will often attempt to be the voice of reason. Unlike G4 Spike, people will listen to him on occasion. Baby Lickety-Split is mostly ignoring him right now, but she’s at least acknowledging him.

The ponies know the witches on sight, and aren’t hostile towards them.

We have some of the adventurous ponies group up here. Shady is a chronic complainer, but is actually an above average athlete with no actually problems besides her poor attitude. Fizzy is a scattered brained unicorn with the power of bubbles. It’s actually the most versatile unicorn power in the series, and I’ll be keeping track of everything that she uses it for. Bart Simpson is the unicorn that’s being voiced by Nancy Cartwright using an early version of her Bart voice. I know what her name is, but I can’t help but think of Bart whenever she talks. Magic Star doesn’t actually go adventuring that often, but she seems to be in charge of Paradise Estate, specifically maintenance and yard work.

Reeka and Draggle are sent out to get the ingredients for the Smooze, but decide to skip the Fluum. I don’t think that we get to hear what the Fluum was supposed to do, but the Smooze is basically a pumped-up shoggoth. If it wasn’t for the art style, those eyes would be creepy as hell. It even has a mental effect, although a mild one.

A few of the ponies recognized it on sight, presumably from when it was used on Grundleland.

Wind Whistler and North Star are sent to fetch Megan. Wind Whistler is cooly logical, although not without emotion, and one of the main ponies. North Star doesn’t appear as often, and I honestly can’t remember much about her. Danny is often a jerk, but he’s always willing to help, and has some useful technical skill. Molly is basically a younger, less developed version of Megan.

The Smooze covers Dream Castle without slowing down, and beats the Rainbow of Light in short order. In a nice touch, the Rainbow actually uses the explosion move that it used to kill Tirac, even if it doesn’t work.

Hydia was able to tell that the Smooze was underpowered despite a decisive victory against the Rainbow. Has Hydia seen it fight a Rainbow before? Why do the witches not like ice cream? Are they lactose intolerant?

The song Megan sings is actually a pretty good example of why Megan is the overall leader; she’s always willing to get up and keep trying, regardless of how dark things seem, and that helps everyone around her.

The Fluum, as it happens, is a giant, aggressive plant. It’s also kind of a jerk, going out of it’s way to be mean to the two rather than just getting rid of them.

The last we saw the mushromp it didn’t look like that. It won’t look like that the next time, either, and I’m not sure if it’s because the animators lacked the model or sheet or he used magic. Probably the first. This is actually the first proper appearance of Habbit, the Moochick’s put upon assistant. He’s kind of a predecessor to Angel Bunny.

The Moochick mentions several buildings and personages from the human world. The show never goes into it, but we see human world technology and artifacts several times, so movement between worlds doesn’t seem to be unique to the ponies.

The Moochick is the one that creates and places Paradise Estate, even if Habbit drew up the plans.

The Moochick knows how to stop the Smooze, and knows the flutter ponies. The Moochick is a long time friend and ally of the little ponies, but specifically to the residents of Dream Valley more than the flutter ponies. Given his resources, it seems highly likely that the Moochick helped the ponies settle Dream Valley back in the day, so his loyalty to the Dream Valley ponies even when it goes against the wishes of other groups of little ponies might be important.

The grundles… Nice, but annoying. Not really shown in the movie, but they have the ability to tunnel quickly. I’m not sure if that guy was the king of the grundles to begin with, or he just named himself king after everyone else died.

While the Smooze was quite after beating the Rainbow, it was still alive, and still dangerous, even before Hydia gave it the Fluum. I was always under the impression that the Smooze was just under orders to rest while Hydia was getting the fluum. After all, it was able to get that boat back to the volcano, so it still had mobility.

Magic Star’s jump across a river with two passengers is probably the first overt example of the superior strength of the earth ponies, but it isn’t the last. It’s actually mentioned on more than one occasion that the different pony types don’t have even abilities, and are literally incapable of competing on an even basis.

Fizzy likes how Wind Whistler talks. I’ll admit it, I ship Fizzy/Best Pony.

Lickety-Split’s echo sequence at least has responses that could plausible pass as echoes, which is more than most echo sequences can say.

Shadow Forest has trees that throw crude spears at anyone within. Given later information about Flutter Valley, that is probably a deliberate defense mechanism.

While unicorn winking has the limitation that they can’t pass through solid objects, it still functions like Bleach flash steps, which is still pretty good.

Alright, does anyone know if spiders are ticklish? I have no idea of how you would test that, but the question remains. More importantly, do spider laughs actually dissolve spider webs?

Ah, Flutter Valley, a beautiful and peaceful place… That’s actually surrounded by monsters, maintained by a dangerous magical artifact, and ruled by a xenophobe. Up until the wayward flutter pony appeared, Rosedust was perfectly willing to throw Megan and the others out. They’ll come in response to a call for aid when called, but they aren’t in the habit of offering any help, and they don’t mingle. At all.

Also? They couldn’t be arsed to restore Grundleland. Okay, longterm encasement probably killed the original plant life, but still…

The Utter Flutter has a silly name, but it works on just about everything and everyone, assuming that there are enough flutter ponies using it. I actually would have liked to see the flutter ponies more often just to get an idea of the limits of the Utter Flutter.
Align
Wallet After Summer Sale -

-After seeing their little realm surrounded by dagger-like mountains, I kinda want to read or even write something about how everything was all nice and evil before the pony interlopers came along with their ugly greenery and awful kindness. How alien the beings already living there would be.

-Man, Hydia does not have a singing voice. Real hard to tell when she was just talking and when she was trying to follow a melody.

~~Did a pony just use “hot dog” as an insult?

-Those two mouths gaping at the camera for several seconds… was that supposed to be funny?

~~“It’s the witches from the volcano fort!”  
Oh, they already know them?  
“They’re cute!”  
wat

-The Smooze is rather more alarming without the song to go with.

~~“It’s our fight!”  
Did not expect that.  
“I LOVE danger!”  
…That neither.

-Can’t help but feel that the silliness of the Smooze is an integral part of its character, despite how incredibly dangerous it is. Reimaginings like >>20708 wouldn’t really work.

-It’s nice how they use long words like “pneumonia” and “impenetrable” without hesitation.

~~“Gee, even Twinkle is gone…”  
…It’s not like she died?

~~Giant sunflower field. I probably shouldn’t be so worried ~~ wrong fandom, after all…

~~“…through a place called Shadow Forest!”  
“OOOoooooh!”  
“Danny!”  
lol

-Suddenly, attack of the standard sound effects.

-Lickety Split’s sad song is really nice.

-Gah! All these sudden cuts from one scene to another are really jarring!

~~“Reminds me of your friend”  
Danny confirmed for best pony.

-And the witches are still in that volcano, fighting each other to this very day…
ender1200

This is also where it’s first revealed that Dream Valley was originally a terrifying hellhole. That’s actually going to come up at least once more that I can recall, and explains why so many monsters and villains live in the area.

It’s like a reverse Fallout: Equestria  
or from one of my favorite quotes on the subject:  
“Dream Valley is constantly out to kill you. It’s like Australia, Sunnydale and Ravenloft met at an orgy, and spawned this abberation, then woke up in the morning and freaked out when they realized Care-A~~Lot and Disneyland had also participated.”
~~ Where I Watch: My Little Pony, post #72

the Smooze is basically a pumped-up shoggoth. If it wasn’t for the art style, those eyes would be creepy as hell. It even has a mental effect, although a mild one.

Now that you mention it. I can see what you mean. The Smooze is a better singer though.

… Now that i think about it, how did the sea ponies survive the smooze attack? did they survive the smooze attack?

Why do the witches not like ice cream? Are they lactose intolerant?

Most likely because ice cream is universally considered “tasty” and the witches have an upside down taste.

This is actually the first proper appearance of Habbit, the Moochick’s put upon assistant. He’s kind of a predecessor to Angel Bunny.

I’m starting to suspect that the Moochick suffers from dementia and Habbit is his nurse… The guy don’t seem to remember who the ponies are, and offers them a pyramid as a new home…

While the Smooze was quite after beating the Rainbow, it was still alive, and still dangerous, even before Hydia gave it the Fluum. I was always under the impression that the Smooze was just under orders to rest while Hydia was getting the fluum. After all, it was able to get that boat back to the volcano, so it still had mobility.

I suspect that he was depowered after the battle with the rainbow and needed to floom to regain his ability to wage a full assault again.

Lickety-Split’s echo sequence at least has responses that could plausible pass as echoes, which is more than most echo sequences can say.

that was a good scene.

While unicorn winking has the limitation that they can’t pass through solid objects, it still functions like Bleach flash steps, which is still pretty good.

If i remember correctly G4 unicorn teleportation don’t have this limitation.  
Twilight teleported from the street back inside her library in episode 3 of season 1 (with spike as a passenger).

Alright, does anyone know if spiders are ticklish? I have no idea of how you would test that, but the question remains. More importantly, do spider laughs actually dissolve spider webs?

Spiders are encased in exoskeleton so there is no way in hell that they are ticklish (i don’t think that they even have the neurological properties to register tickles).  
And as for spider laughter: they have no lungs either so no. Actually Human are the only specie that laugh. we know because biologist have taken the test of tickling animals and record how they react.

But magic giant spider so whatever :p
Sjogre

@Amethyst_Crystal  
It could be supposed that there is some kind of time distortion when travelling the rainbow between Earth and the world of Dream Valley, though much less extreme than the time changes between Earth and Narnia. Megan does seem noticeably older between the specials and the movie, and perhaps she starts visiting far more often so she can get to know this generation better (although one could say that it’s a new year of new toys, too).

Time dilation is highly unlikely. Time passage seems the same on both sides, and we’re actually going to see it a few times. Differences in appearances seem to be the result of different animation models. As far as the disappearing ponies, I think that we’re supposed to assume that they’re either hanging in the background, or that they were killed.

Dream Valley is a dangerous place, and we don’t see any old ponies…

During the series proper, Megan and her siblings appear to move into Dream Valley permanently, with only the occasional visit to Earth.

@Kazapsky  
I’m going to be calling the Moochick senile quite a lot. I’m not completely joking when I do that.

He’s got his good days and his bad days. On his bad days, he’s like this, if not worse. On his good days, you’ll see why he’s still the preeminent magical authority of Dream Valley.

Taj Mahal, Taj Mahal… Oh. That, uh, that actually makes a ridiculous claim from later in the series fairly plausible.

Next time they get a house from the Moochick, they need to specify no corpses.

@ender1200  
Hey, someone else that read that thread. That thread is actually what got me into ponies as an adult.

… Now that i think about it, how did the sea ponies survive the smooze attack? did they survive the smooze attack?  
Huhn. We won’t see the adult sea ponies again. I always thought that the adults died to some underwater monster, but the Smooze is another contender.

I’m starting to suspect that the Moochick suffers from dementia and Habbit is his nurse… The guy don’t seem to remember who the ponies are, and offers them a pyramid as a new home…  
Starting?

If i remember correctly G4 unicorn teleportation don’t have this limitation.  
Twilight teleported from the street back inside her library in episode 3 of season 1 (with spike as a passenger).

She’s also failed to teleport out of some ropes, which is the usual problem for G1 unicorns.

Anyway, I doubt that the G4 writers remembered that limitation or would have cared if they did, given that they altered the powers of all of the ponies.

While winking out did have the limitation of not being able to pass through solid objects, it seems much easier to do repeatedly, and is a racial ability rather than being one of the hardest spells in the setting.
boz
Thread Starter - The evil council continuation

I don’t think there is too much to understand out of the ponies change between every special before the series. Yes we don’t see any old one in the series and based on much other show when this happen we are likely to conclude to time dilatation, but on the other hand, none of the series pony were in the special either as a younger and megan get back home in the main series too without discovering a completely new group of ponies each time.

If I had to go for a theory, I’ll just say that perhaps those from rescue at midnight castle just move back to where they really come from before going dream valley. Like an expeditionary corp who build the first castle then move back to the metropolis when colonist get in.
Amethyst_Crystal
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Goth Hippie Nerd Pony
Lots of interesting talk about the movie. I’m unfortunately pressed for time right now, but I’d like to note that I just made a separate thread about the wonderful bite-sized  
songs of G1 MLP ’n F

Oh, and I’d like to say a couple things about the next story, ‘The End of Flutter Valley’, in the tv series proper: it’s actually more like a 5-parter, since episodes are 11 minutes long, but still a bit longer than the movie itself. No storyline after this one is more than a 44 minute 4 parter. I personally find the pacing to be pretty good though.

Also a disclaimer: this 10-parter does have a lot of bad voice mixing and animation errors.. but I have to say, none of the following stories get nearly as bad as often… so don’t let it turn you away from the rest of the show!

Besides, it’s got the adventures of Morning Glory and Sting! Hardcore Flutter Ponies! Nefarious plots! Critters weirder than bushwoolies! Badass bees! Watch it!
Sjogre

Welp, conversation on the movie has been dried up for a while, time for the next serial.

Give me some Honey, Baby.

The End of Flutter Valley is easily the longest serial in the series. It’s been called the sequel to the movie, and not without good reason, as it features the return of Hydia. This is the only time in My Little Pony’N Friends that any villains return.

This serial, sadly, is much weaker than the movie. While it has some strong points, like world-building and introducing new characters, it also has some weak points. Most unfortunately, it has transparent padding in the form of gratuitous cliffhangers, but Hydia also becomes massively less competent. It’s still watchable, of course, and has some entertaining parts, but I’d suggest starting with Ghost of Paradise Estate if you want to sell someone on the series.

As always, I’ll be giving people time to watch the serial themselves before posting my writeup.
Tarkan809
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Artist -

Dragonlover, Spike Fan
I’m very curious to ask… Even though I watched My little pony ’n friends recently But…  
Does Spike eat gems in My little pony ‘n friends?

I’m very curious…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide