MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

RetiredAstrum
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

@Shimmering Spectacle
3D G5 designs of ponies are in general well-made and look cute and pretty (similarly to how MLP FiM’s designs looked great).
2D G5 designs are okay. Not bad, but just can’t compare to 3D ones (mostly because of some questionable choices in the animation style).
Posted Report
Jonny Manz
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

I am who I am
@TheQuietMan
Yeah, one big advantage G5 has over G4 is the fact that, due to its release style (on YouTube and Netflix) different language dubs are available almost immediately.
I found a channel that posted the Japanese dubbed songs for Chapters 1 and 2, lemme see if I can go find that again. I asked them if they could post the songs for Winter Wishday as well, but they haven’t responded yet (and that was a couple of months ago I asked 🤷)
I’m tempted to, at some point, sign up for one of those VPN free trials that sponsor, like, half the videos on YouTube or whatever, and set my location to Japan to access the full episodes of MYM in Japanese. Then I could potentially figure out how to rip those myself (as if, haha)
@RetiredAstrum
Agreed, love the CG designs, and the TYT designs grew on me, for sure.
Posted Report
Jonny Manz
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am who I am
And actually, they did go back and do seasons 3-6 as well, but with a much less well known cast - that aired on Disney Channel Japan (well, technically, seasons 3 & 4 aired on an offshoot called DLife, but that’s splitting hairs - that channel had shut down by the time they did seasons 5 & 6). They also did the Best Gift Ever and Rainbow Road-trip specials. I believe it’s that cast that they used for the brief scene of the Mane Six at the beginning of A New Generation, as well as for Twilight’s appearance in Growing Pains.
Overall, it was competent, for the most part, but a clear step down from the original cast (for one thing, the new Celestia constantly sounds like she’s about to cry, and Scootaloo sounds wayyyy too old). By far the worst thing, though, was the songs - not so much in the main series, where they were competent but far too reliant on auto tune, but certainly in the specials. They must have fucked up the programming of the auto tune, because they were invariably horrible and discordant - do yourself a favor, and never look up “The True Gift of Gifting” in Japanese unless you want your ears to hate you for a while.
Speaking of the original Japanese cast, however, they did go on to dub most of the Equestria Girls content, from the movies to the specials to the YouTube shorts. Plus, they also did the 2017 movie. The only unfortunate thing with those is that, aside from the content which was originally uploaded to YouTube (so the music video shorts as well as stuff like Forgotten Friendship, IIRC), they did not dub any of the songs - so that’s the EqG movies as well as the 2017 movie.
But I digress, that’s probably enough G4 discussion in the G5 thread, haha
Posted Report
GoodVibesGorgeous

Grumpy and antisocial
@TheQuietMan
Season 7 may start soon, so it’s probably seasons 8 and 9 will air as well.
@Jonny Manz
I have to say the Japanese dub for seasons 5 and 6 sound pretty weird, probably because it wasn’t done in Japan (I did some research and it apparently was done somewhere in South Korea). I’m optimistic season 7 may return to Japan (maybe in the same dubbing studio as G5, who is doing a pretty good job).
Posted Report
Jonny Manz
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am who I am
@GoodVibesGorgeous
Really? Fingers crossed - I wonder if the people who I was helping with that spreadsheet of Japanese episode titles and voice actors know.
And interesting, I remember there was a Netflix English dub for an anime (I forget exactly what it’s called) that tried a dubbing studio in South Korea, and apparently the response was so negative that a few months later, they re-dubbed it at Bang Zoom! Entertainment in Los Angeles with a more standard stable of dub actors.
Posted Report
🧡☮Starrscout☮🧡
Duck - Hates MLP:FiM but still paddles around the MLP:FiM pond quacking about how bad it is
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Has anyone noticed the repetitiveness in Tell You Tale’s background music? It’s almost the same background music in every episode. Also it’s the 1 year anniversary of TYT today! I can’t believe it’s been that long!
Posted Report
harasha456
Non-Fungible Trixie -

The Cringemiester
as an archivist I’m thrilled that they bundle old episodes into the new episodes because I get a lot of redundancy.
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide