MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@Background Pony #C1C5
Season One of FiM was firing on all cylinders to show how good it was. The end result was this unforgettable season that had this “juice” to it. The drawback is that it had no long-term plans and wasn’t sustainable. I’ve been working my way through Season Two, and it feels less like a continuation, and more like an expansion pack. It also feels very unplanned.
So far, G5 has been very cozy, with a setting that feels much more “lived in”. In G4, it was a crapshoot if something would ever come up again, but G5 has been pretty consistent at delivering the things it sets up. The worst of G5 is better than the worst of G4.
Jonny Manz
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am who I am
@Background Pony #C1C5
I would say that every part of G5 is better than the equivalent part of G4: ANG is better than the 2017 movie, TYT is better than Pony Life, and what we’ve gotten of MYM is better than the first half of season 1 of FiM (based on runtime, that’s about what it’s equivalent to).
It has strong, memorable, well-written characters and a colorful world, just like G4, and everything else is just gravy (like with G4).
Really, the only complaint I can think to make about it is the absurdly slow release schedule.
Both generations also hold a special place in my heart.
Background Pony #78BB
@Background Pony #C1C5
I say it has potential to be interesting and fun. It has some flaws but so did G4. I won’t say it is better or worse than G4 because it is not fair. G5 is still at its beginning while G4 had nine seasons to improve. The first three seasons of MLP FIM weren’t perfect but in my opinion the next seasons (yes, even 8 and 9) were way better regarding storytelling and characters.
Note: Sunny still needs to learn how to control her alicorn form. It is part of her and she won’t be able to defend the world if she doesn’t. There will be more villains besides Opaline. This could make for a cool episode.
Though I am very curious how they will defeat an immortal being. What makes me think that must be why Twilight took away her magic according to Sunny Starscout’s Book of Adventure. If she lives forever, at least she won’t be able to hurt anyone else without magic. But then again she is a fire alicorn. She probably can absorb fire to restore her magic. Everypony else got their magic back when the Mane Five gave Equestria hope again except for Opaline. I salute you, Twilight. You did good by taking away her magic.
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@DerpyFast
I personally didn’t find Season 1 of FiM that great, but I totally agree with the worst of G5 being better than the worst of G4. I mean, are you honestly going to tell me that Ali-Conned, the most controversial MYM episode, is worse than the worst episodes of FiM? Even I, the kind of guy who doesn’t really dislike any FiM episode, definitely finds that episode better than something like Non-Compete Clause. I also enjoy the worst of Tell Your Tale more than my least favorite FiM episodes.
@Jonny Manz
Yeah, you pretty much hit the nail with all those equivalents. However, I think TYT has proven itself more than ever at this point to be on a much different scale than Pony Life. Pony Life was a guilty pleasure sugar rush while TYT is actually providing the new generation with more substance.
CloudMistDragon
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@🧡☮Starrscout☮🧡
So do I, it got even better to me when I re-watched it, as I’ve said in the past. Even The Cutie Mark Mix-Up and Hoof Done It?, the other two “weak link” parts of MYM Chapter 2, were better to me upon re-watch. I’m surprised I forgot the G5 pilot when I read “the worst of G5” though. Also better to me after re-watching it, but not a fan favorite for understandable reasons. FiM’s pilot, however, was no fan favorite either for good reason.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Music Connoisseur
Am I the only one who doesn’t like to compare and contrast G4 to G5 in spite of their in-universe connections? I think both have their own unique strengths and weaknesses and I like enjoying them both for what they are despite personally preferring one over the other
Elidiotadelaesquina
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Artist -

Stupid idiot
I feel that the big mistake of the G5 is to take part in the G4 within its lore.
I feel like it can be its own thing, but relate it up so much with the past generation, It causes a “wrong feeling” when generating expectations… Although I have never had them.
Jonny Manz
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am who I am
@CloudMistDragon
That’s fair, yeah, TYT at its craziest (for the most part) is still more grounded than Pony Life ever was.
@Background Pony #78BB
Thanks for reminding me - I had meant to mention that if we were comparing the entirety of G4 to the entirety of what we’ve gotten of G5 thus far, then G4 wins, but that’s mostly because there’s more content available, so it’s only natural that there would be more standout moments. Therefore, I think that’s not really a fair comparison, and so it’s one I stay away from.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Totally agree with Season 1 of FiM not being very good
Season One or Season Two? Because I still think Season One is one of the best, and it’s Two that I’m finding not that great (with at least seven episodes I’d skip on future watches, compared to just one in Season One).
CloudMistDragon
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@🧡☮Starrscout☮🧡
Uh…no? I know that every episode has its fans. It’s just that the pilot of FiM has often been regarded as one of the weaker episodes of Season 1 for legitimate reasons the same way G5’s pilot is often regarded as the weakest thing MYM’s given us for legitimate reasons. “Not a fan favorite” just means it’s not something fans usually call one of their favorites when there’s stuff they usually consider a lot better.
@DerpyFast
Sorry, I got confused, reworded that remark.
Algebroot Neogears
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

Sci-fi & Dragons
In my opinion, G5 feels less like a continuation of G4, and more like they reskinned various aspects in attempt to make it part of G4’s world. Like how it can look like G5’s creators edited an important group of past figures to look like major FiM characters, or adding random background details that resemble G4 content.
Basically: There has to be more than just random items, character designs, and names added to make it actually G4. It needs to be properly built on pre-established G4 personalities and lore, which G5 doesn’t seem to focus enough on doing.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide