Starlight Glimmer- What is the opinion of her still?

Background Pony #CC23
@Star Seeker  
Ah, yes, good criticism is good, the one with good bases, but bad ones violates Rule #0, the rules even states about how to criticize.
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Also, am I forgetting an episode. When does Starlight use time travel spells? The spell she used on Sunburst seemed to be either an age spell or an illusion spell. I didn’t get the sense that she time traveled at all.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that Starlight would be extremely hard-pressed to bring herself to ever do a time travel spell again, especially past S6 where she’s more secure in her lot in life, unless it involved an “it literally can’t get any worse” situation. There was no hourglass visual effect in Uncommon Bond, like in Cutie Re-Mark (nor did some gateway to some area in the past appear), nor did the effect resemble Twilight’s accidentally creating a time loop by trying to warn herself to not worry in the past. It’s especially odd considering you’d think Sunburst would be mentioned as being directly worried due to the risk of damaging the timeline, if there was any at all whatsoever.

Starlight gave up the nanosecond she understood he was frustrated. It’s not really her trying to assert power over him by any stretch, or any attempt at malice, that’s just her lackluster at times ability to read people failing her until he’s literally yelling at her.

@Star Seeker  
I just don’t like people making stuff up or ignoring critical information when criticizing things.

Pretty much. Another annoying thing I’ve seen happen is when they horribly misremember information, like someone claiming that Cadance and Shining Armor’s entire source of power came from the Crystal Heart, then asking if I even watched the show and unsubbing before I responded.

It’s kind of interesting how some people became obsessed with ELTSD, wouldn’t let it go to the very end… when that’s kinda what Starlight did as part of her catalyst to becoming a villain, let one major event in her backstory drive her (even if there were other factors), because she couldn’t let go of the past, and couldn’t properly move forward.
Hakirayleigh
Wahaha! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Economist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -

ℜ𝔞𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔶 𝔟𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔭𝔬𝔫𝔶
@Ring Team  
Dude. Do you watch the last seasons from the mane6?? Pinkie is really insufferable and Rainbow Dash always has a lot of ways being an asshole in her episodes. Starlight is a masterpiece about redemption if we compare with most of them. Fluttershy and maybe Twilight were the only with great progression about their old mindset.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Hakirayleigh  
I’m not necessarily saying that the mane 6 are perfect (some of my least favourite episodes are about Pinkie Pie being annoying, and Rainbow Dash was one of the main reasons why I don’t think Rainbow Rocks is a good film), but it’s worth mentioning the low points of Starlight because she was a villain. She’s supposed to learn from her mistakes. The mane 6 weren’t villains, the mane 6 didn’t become villains because a friend moved away (which is a very simplistic backstory for an irrational decision, by the way), so it’s fair to criticize her when she screw things up.

At the end of the day, I have a hard time believing that the Starlight we saw in All bottled up, Rock solid friendship, Uncommon bond and Road to friendship is the same unicorn that wanted to reddem herself at the end of Cutie re-mark. After finishing The last problem, I didn’t find her redemption arc pretty engaging, rewarding or even satisfying. I don’t think she ever learned her lesson. She needed more believable conflicts and motivations to make her much more relatable. The writers needed her to visually express her desire to be better and eventually redeemed, not doing baffling things with magic so haphazardly.

To be honest, it’s not that big of a deal right now because MLP:FiM has a lot of jank. If I wanted a story about characters that redeem themselves, I have the MLP film, Crusaders of the Lost Mark, Luna Eclipsed and the fourth EG film. And if we have to count the non-MLP content, I have Iron Man and Prince of Egypt. So that’s cool to me.
Hakirayleigh
Wahaha! - Derpi Supporter
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Economist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Bronze Bit -
Sapphire -

ℜ𝔞𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔶 𝔟𝔢𝔰𝔱 𝔭𝔬𝔫𝔶
@Ring Team  
Of course she learned about mistakes and being villain it was fair that her redemption process were more convulsed. Trixie and Starlight were antagonists before and as you said, All bottled up and Road to friendship are the worst faces about Trixie and Starlight. But The mane6 being all time the heroines had made their bad take so similar to Trixie and Starlight, but her firends and specially Twilight are calmer than the former duo antagonists. Summarizing, Starlight and Trixie can afford to make worst mistakes about redemptions cause they were former antagonists and is more credible commiting mistakes again and again.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Ring Team

I disagree about the magic thing with Glim Glam, because she has been established to treat magic as more akin to a technology than a philosophy as nearly every other magic-wielding character does. “B-But she misuses her magic for problems that could be solved without it!” Yeah? Why the fuck is that a bad thing? There’s a reason I compared her to Tom Paris way back when (also, thanks past me for linking to my tweet where Haber and Vogel agree with me), and that’s because her using magic the way she does shows outside-the-box thinking, and is willing try unorthodox solutions to problems. Yes, she fucks up with some of her applications of magic, but she owns the problems she creates.

It’s why I like her, even if the writer’s execution of that aspect of her character is admittedly not the best, because she’s a character that I especially don’t see a lot of in fantasy: one who’ll go “hey, if we can use magic to do ‘x’, why don’t we use it to try and do ‘y’?” It’s not that I want a character that upends the setting, but one that will at least question why the phlebotinum is misapplied. TBF this is admittedly more of a character preference that I like to see rather than anything objective; and as stated before I agree that her redemption story isn’t as good as Sun Shim’s.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I don’t know, trying to solve things with magic is doing the bare minimum from a dramatic point of view. It’s like if the princess Nausicaä suddenly decided to stop an entire war by doing any harm instead of doing it the pacifist way. I think a story is at its best when the main character actually takes an effort to achieve her personal goals and motivations.

Not to mention that before Cutie remark, Starlight was just manipulating other ponies and swapping cutie marks for her own sake. After the episode, she still manipulates other ponies and swapping cutie marks for her own sake, especially in season 7.

It’s like she hasn’t learned anything.
Pause

World's Smallest Violin
@Ring Team  
Yeah, let’s just ignore how she tried a several conflict solving methods without magic before swapping the marks of the princessess. (Which she only did out of pressure and fear).
Background Pony #CC23
@Hakirayleigh

@Ebalosus  
Please stop replying to Ring Team, his opinions toward Starlight is low beyond recovery, just ignore him and let him quietly hate her while we can still enjoy her without provoking Ring Team.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
Honestly im going to be honest starlight glimmer grew on me alot and I like her alot but rewatching the s6 finale. I was reminded one of the reasons starlights reformation just doesn’t work for me. Like i know its a popular opinion to love her reformation in the fandom but…

She really became a villain because one friend left, she should have never became a villain in a first place because of that reasoning imo and she never faces consequences for anything. Instantly became friends with everyone remember how sunset and discord had people against them.

Also feel like starlight glimmer, if she is gonna reform is far too nice like someone who was petty enough to become a villain just because one friend left shouldn’t be that nice instantly it just isn’t realistic or just stay a antihero.
Latecomer

@CORDZ2000  
It’s a very popular opinion to hate her reformation too.

In truth, the showing of her backstory was one of the big flaws. I think most people presume that Sunburst leaving was just the start of a longer path to villany, but it would have been nice to have seen more of it. And yes, she really was forgiven too lightly IMO.

And Starlight is kind of an antihero. She just has a good mask - remember, even as a villain she was “nice” on the surface.
Pause

World's Smallest Violin
The big problem I have with people disliking the reformation is the hypocrisy when Luna exists and her “backstory” is practicallythe same.

One is jusged negatively for it at tbe surface level and is divisive with in the community.

The other is basically the fandom Golden Child with people find every justification and headcanon to allow her irrational nonsense.
Latecomer

@Pause  
Luna’s is considerably more vague, though, which allows fans to elaborate the causes as they like. Dark magic was also involved, adding up to persona change so big some call possesion.
CORDZ2000
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Pause  
Tbh Luna didn’t exactly choose to do evil things she was possessed more or less taken advantage of. And nightmare moon is more of a fantasy villain her evil acts are far less realistically portrayed endless night vs starlight being a cult dictator that forced others to follow her philosophy.

While i have come to like and even love at times, her relationships with other characters post reformation. i  
I do still think she should have stayed as she was a great villain who was so dark and realistic complex before her backstory at least.
Pause

World's Smallest Violin
@Latecomer

@CORDZ2000  
Yeah, no.

As I said, people judged Starlight at surface level. So it would only be fair to judge Luna at surface level. There was no mention of dark magic at all in the backstory. Nor was there any mention of being possessed except in the comics and the comics seem to exist in their own “continuity”. That is adding headcanons and justifications which just prove the exact point I’m making.

We’re willing to use our imaginations to make her crap more acceptable but not willing to do the same for Starlight Glimmer.
CORDZ2000

Draconequues Lover zcord
@Pause  
Its not judging starlight at surface level. She had loving parents and became a villain because her friend left and instead of making more friends decided to be a emo angsty teenager and became pony stalin as a adult like that is literally what happened. Sure people are affected by things differently but moon-dancer didn’t go brainwashing a town and she went through the same.

The assumption with luna is because once she got hit by the friendship laser she instantly became good sure just like every other character Luna could have used some better writing at times but I wouldn’t say its the same situation.
Pause

World's Smallest Violin
@CORDZ2000  
You judge Starlight by what “literally” happens.

You make an assumption in regards to Luna. Not seeing the problem here?

Assumptions. Theories. Headcanons. To make her nonsense more acceptable.

Its never “she grew jealous because ponies went to sleep at night” which is literally how the show presents it.

So why does the Luna get people trying to make her ridiculous backstory favorable but people just look at Starlight and go “nah we wont try”.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide