The thing no one cares about! Dragon Names! (Naming Prominence)

Klondork
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Uncredited Meme Maker
Short Version: Should we rename Prominence to fit more to the dragon names of the others. Are there rules to this we’re missing? Do we call her Prominence just because it sounds the best? Should any of these “rules” matter?

Long Version:  
I apologize ahead of time. I have a dangerously obsession with consistency even in fancanon and I actually don’t mind these names we’ve given to the dragons. It’s not that big of a deal but I would like to bring up the topic of possibly renaming some of the more popular background dragons.

I bring this point up because of a similar pet peeve I have with Sonic characters. For the most part Sonic characters are named after SOMETHING (and there ARE several exceptions to the rule. Amy, Sally, Espio is short for Espionage, etc..,) Sonic, Tails, Rouge, Vector, Silver, you get the idea. So when I see a fan character named…I don’t know. William the Hedgehog? I feel like these are breaking the “rules” just a bit. Now I’m not counting the comics because I haven’t really read but for the most part they seem to follow the rules. Thunderbolt, Abyss, Clove, Tundra, etc. There seems to be a nonspoken ruleset that I feel should be followed when making fan characters. (And again there ARE exceptions to the “rules”)

I feel the same way about Pony characters. There’s an unspoken rule about how they are named. None of the main characters are just named “Elizabeth.”, Griffon names always start with a G, you get the idea.

In Season 2 it seemed like official names of dragon characters (that’s the ones said on screen) relate to a sound effect. Spike, Garble, and Crackle are the only dragon names said at this point in the show but the other names followed a similar naming convention. I recall that it was theorized once that dragons’ names seemed to resembled radio sound effects. Fizzle is a perfect example. While names do Spear and Clump are on the edge, they fit close enough. Now. Here’s the thing.

Ember and her father COMPLETELY subvert this. There names are no where near sound effects which means the male teenager names are: a. A gender thing which brings the question about Crackles gender. b. A generational or class thing which means Torch’s generation were named after objects holding fire and he and his wife named Ember based on her generation and social status. c. There is no connection. Dragons name their kids whatever.

The reason I bring all of this up is because all the dragons up to this point (Not counting any of the new dragons with unspoken names) have been named after THINGS. Sounds, Objects, Fire. One of my favorite names for the new dragons is Ballista. It just fits so well.

But Prominence seems more like “an idea” more than a thing. What the fandom named her seems completely off.  
But Thod and Billy also follow this idea that the dragons name their kids whatever. Thod and Billy are relatively normal names which means a dragon naming their child Prominence isn’t a big deal.

I apologize for the essay but what do you all think?

Should we rename Prominence to fit more to the dragon names of the others. Are there rules to this we’re missing? Are there rules at all? Do we call her Prominence just because it sounds the best? Who cares?

I CARE. THEY DON’T CALL ME KLON DORK FOR NOTHING.

For the record I’m not so much against the name as I am fine with people naming her this with a very very slight irritation about it. For all we know her true name could just be Dragon_Teen_number_4 canonically.
Ferrotter
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Or you could know that prominences are arcs of flaming plasma erupting off the Sun’s surface, and it fits really well for a dragon. Especially for a dragon who’s so enamored of gaseous bodily eruptions.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide