Unpopular opinion time

Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Latecomer  
Half the two parters just become the Twilight show. Princess Twilight was probably the worst, where most of the other characters just… vanished, and Twilight didn’t do anything particularly special (the only action she took that facilitated the conclusion was rescuing Discord). Crystal Empire was also annoying for the sheer amount of Twilight dick sucking, despite the fact that as pointed out later on Spike was actually more useful.

Most of the others aren’t quite so bad, but there is a lot of “Twilight, please stop having an existential crisis and weeping in a corner. Since we’ve all become strangely useless and passive in order for this plot to work, we can only win by the power of your incredible awesomeness. Have I mentioned how you’re a princess, best pony, and a very fetching purple color?”

Repeat until she starts to glow, the current bad guy’s face melts off, and everyone gathers round to congratulate her like she was the only one that mattered.

Starlight’s one two parter as the hero on the other hand has her as part of an ensemble, most of which have no strong opinions about her either way, and actually have Thorax doing the glowy thing and melting faces. Starlight’s screentime is about on par with Trixie, who also provides the majority of raw competence and really gets about the same amount of character development.

@Myoozik  
@Philweasel
I don’t know, I’ve always heard that strong power abilities, approval rating in universe, having no visible flaws and overtaking the plot most of the time was what makes a Mary Sue. Regardless, I was never a fan of that term since it can get misused to mean anything like character one doesn’t like and such.

Well that’s the thing, people only focus on the first. Starlight might be powerful, but few actually like her in universe, her flaws are horribly apparent and constantly bite her in the ass, and outside of her spotlight episodes she’s always a supporting character. I think in the later seasons she might have the least amount of screentime of any main cast member but Rainbow Dash.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Latecomer  
Well for the rest it’s hard to call anyone focused on to the exclusion of others, since spotlight episodes are the norm. And in episodes about hairstyling, it’s hard to call the sparkle unicorns overpowered.

…especially since apparently hair magic is beyond them. For some reason.
Latecomer

@Philweasel  
That was an odd little bit of canon indeed - very much an example of how the show’s lore contorts around it’s stories and not the other way round. (Personally, I quietly ignore it.)
Background Pony #716F
Most of the characters introduced in later seasons, I had basically little interest in. I liked starlight but never grew to love her. I was apathetic to flurry and the student 6 and really disliked sunburst for some reason.

Maybe its the characterizations in later seasons but it just wasn’t as good at convincing me to like new characters as the earlier seasons were.
Sadrai

@Dex Stewart  
Your right he more popular in the fanon/fan work and I have seen some Snips and Snails fam work but not a lot but yeah I mean show wise is we’re I prefer them to Button since Snips and Snails were actually characters with speaking lines, personality and supporting roles Button was never any of those things in the actual show.
Sadrai

I was okay with Snails saying he doesn’t think about anything every at the end of Buckball season some people didn’t like that he said that but I thought it was funny, plus it keeps in line with his established personality, and it helped with the lesson that also helped a Fluttershy an Pinkie.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
@Myoozik

Yes, it is. And if you consider the best works by Imalou, it also makes me curious to see how this will affect the design of the movie. ;-)

@WyrmSpawN

Well, I wasn’t sure. And like you said, a nice reminder. I am afraid, however, that it will still take us some time to obtain some really useful details. Well, patience is a virtue. ;-D
Sadrai

@Hali the Emoji girl  
Some said it just ruined how in the episode he was shown to be good at buckball and said it just brought him back to being dumb, which I find silly because him still being dumb Doesn’t change how he helped in the episode or his buckball skills.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide