KRD Universe, OC and Universe tags?

Atreidae
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Hi team,
I’ve been uploading a fair bit of KRD’s art to Derpi lately and noticed that there is no way to group together all the KRD-relevant art simply. I feel this wouldn’t be an issue if they had an OC or Universe tag of some description, especially when things are made by other artists involving KRD (the oc) or their universe.
I’ve spoken to KRD, and they don’t seem to mind the creation of an OC tag, or a universe tag. They would just rather not manage it.
I’d suggest we have two new tags
KRDiverse or KinkyRDverse (unless someone can suggest a better tag) this would be a similar tag to KanishiPandaverse etc where images set in that world are tagged with it
OC:KRD or OC:KinkyRainbowDash as an OC tag for KRD’s version of Rainbow Dash. This would also imply the “Rainbow Dash” instead of replacing it. But allows commissioners and artists to tag the fact they are referring to Artist:KRD in the image.
Posted Report
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
I’m not familiar with their work, is it all on the artist:krd tag? If not, would a series:* style tag be appropriate and helpful?
Posted Report
Atreidae
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Ciaran
Most of it is, I’m happy to tag the relevant stuff. But other artists do occasionally create “in universe” art (off the top of my head, Caroo, Blue Coffee Dog, JedaySkayVoker, DefilerZero) or sometimes art of their RD OC getting into some sort of situation.
I don’t think a series tag would work as there isn’t a cohesive set of rules or consistency. To the point, I’ve even had the artist specifically ask me not to make a Wiki on it (I was joking when I suggested that, TBH buutt..)
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Just looking through the images I don’t see anything that pulls it together. If you see a tag they they mostly have in common that could use used, if it’s exclusive to the set you are trying to create.
But, for myself, I don’t see what the commonality is that you are trying to tag.
Posted Report
Atreidae
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Usually mostly Latex, inflatables and padding are common themes in their universe, but I guess I see your point.
I mean a common brand is HoneyTech, but I wouldn’t call it a “universe”
Perhaps just a tag for their OC? OC:KRD ?
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Atreidae
As long as the OC tag is on any image with the OC, you could add a detailed description to the OC’s tag. Check out the OC Tag Description thread; it’s pinned on the Tag Discussion forum.
Posted Report
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Atreidae
The character in that image is Rainbow Dash.
Why would you want to tag it with an OC? There’s no OC in the image?
Posted Report
Atreidae
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Ciaran
This is what I meant in my initial post. The OC:KRD tag was to denote their version of Rainbow Dash that they use to represent themselves. (typically denoted by the pericings/hair string thing) So whilst it’s “Rainbow Dash” its the KRD universe variant known as KRD/KinkyRainbowDash
Posted Report
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Atreidae
If the character is not Rainbow Dash, then it shouldn’t be tagged as such. Just tag it with the OC character then. That way people searching for Rainbow Dash won’t get OC:KRD instead.
I’ll seems to me that a series:* style tag would be more appropriate and helpful for finding and filtering this AU.
Please give me some time to look at what you’re doing and see if maybe there isn’t a better way to handle what you are trying to do.
Atreidae
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ah, so the OC tag can’t imply that’s it’s Rainbow Dash then?
(Are we saying that they are mutually exclusive tags? What about tags like Rainbow Blitz?)
I’d hate to exclude anyone looking for “Rainbow Dash” plus “latex” from finding this art by tagging it exclusively as KRD and not Rainbow Dash
Perhaps just a “KRD” tag so it doesn’t imply an OC?
Posted Report
Atreidae
Non-Fungible Trixie -

(I’m just about to hit bed. But whatever you recommend. I’ll clean it up in the morning)
I’d be interested to see Emerims thoughts, they always seem to fix up my tags ;)
Edit: just saw your edit. I’ll leave it with you.
Roseluck
Roseluck - For supporting the site

Sorry if it’s presumptuous of me to get involved.
From my understanding, any version of Rainbow Dash warrants the rainbow dash tag, because it’s ultimately Rainbow Dash, but some versions may need additional tags. Rainbow Blitz for example is specifically rainbow dash plus rule 63 (as seen by the implications), while another example would be Rainbow Dash the Ministry Mare from Fallout: Equestria, who’d be rainbow dash plus fallout equestria.
So, if I understand right again, “their version of Rainbow Dash that they use to represent themselves” would still be tagged rainbow dash, because it’s still ultimately Rainbow Dash, plus self insert because that’s also what she’d be.
Just like I’d need to tag self insert in addition to roseluck if I ever used the canon character to depict myself.
Or at least, that’s my understanding from this reply back when I asked for the difference between self-inserts and ponysonas and I learned self inserts could use canon characters.
So either oc:krd should be also tagged with rainbow dash and self insert, or the oc tag itself is removed and ‘KRDash’ is instead tagged through rainbow dash, self insert and the tag for their universe.
Hope these thoughts were useful. (and TL;DR: self insert tag)
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
The artist on the image is KRD. Isn’t that sufficient to identify it as KRD’s work?
I’d hate to exclude anyone looking for “Rainbow Dash” plus “latex”
If it’s Rainbow Dash, please tag it as Rainbow Dash. If it’s an alternative universe Rainbow Dash then please tag it rainbow dash, alternate universe. If it’s an OC of Rainbow Dash for an alternative universe, then I think the correct way to tag it is rainbow dash, alternate universe, oc, oc only, oc:<name>.
For an example of art similar to what I think you are trying to do, look at:
That is an OC that is an AU of Rainbow Dash, and the OC tag implies ultimare universe - but it does not imply rainbow dash.
Following that precedence, if there is a name for the KRD AU then I can imply that on the OC’s tag, and help you create the AU’s name tag. That tag can also include a description of the AU.
I think that’s the artist’s tag, isn’t it? If there are other people creating art of the same character and you want to identify that it is within the KRD AU, then let’s add a tag for the AU.
From my understanding
That’s often true. But not always. It’s a little more case-by-case. For examples there’s some AU Fluttershys that are so nearly identical to Princess Fluttershy that Fluttershy is not tagged on them because of all the drama and confusion it was causing.
plus self insert because that’s also what she’d be
Is it a self-insert? I thought it was a series that is basically an AU?
I think I still don’t know what is missing.
It seems that what is missing is a series or ‘AU’ tag that identifies it as being in the KRD-iverse.
But, I’m getting the impression the artist:krd tag has been used to identify not an artist, but a series of artists making images in the ‘KRD AU’.
@Atreidae
Is artist:krd a single artist?
Or is it a group of people making similar work in a ‘krd AU’?
@Atreidae
That image needs to stay locked until we know what we’re doing. Nothing personal, it’s just that I don’t want to open the vault on that image until I know what we are doing, because as soon as I’m done I’ll have to lock it back up.
Posted Report
KRD
Non-Fungible Trixie -
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Metadata Anarchist
Hello! I am the artist. I can confirm that I am in fact, one (1) person, and not a collective. I have a set of aesthetic quirks that I consistently give to certain characters to personalise them a little bit in my personal art, for example the little hair tube or particular configurations of piercings when I draw Rainbow Dash. Occasionally in commissions or gift art for me, other artists will include those touches, and sometimes I’ll leave them out, either because a commissioner has something else in mind, or I just feel like changing it up that day. I consider them personally to represent less of a narrative throughline like an AU, and more of a calling card. There’s no backstory behind any of these interpretations of the characters, only vibes.
However, as my tagline will indicate and as was mentioned by OP, I absolutely do not care about tag minutia, and in fact delight in frustrating attempts at detailed categorisation. I’m only weighing in here to fill in the context of my body of work, and you can put that in whatever boxes you feel like, since clearly there is at least some section of the audience that want to be able to group together pictures with the calling cards, regardless of artist.
Posted Report
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@KRD
Thank you for replying to this thread :) It helps a lot!
However, as my tagline will indicate and as was mentioned by OP, I absolutely do not care about tag minutia, and in fact delight in frustrating attempts at detailed categorisation.
Bless you. Please come drink next to me. I’ll buy the next round.
I’m only weighing in here to fill in the context of my body of work, and you can put that in whatever boxes you feel like, since clearly there is at least some section of the audience that want to be able to group together pictures with the calling cards, regardless of artist.
I’m sure there’s some examples of how this has been handled before - where there’s an artist’s style that people emulate and the images get tagged with that “look”.
I’ll ask our tagging experts if there is a way that this kind of thing is described.
Even something like KRD-style or something like that might be sufficient.
Posted Report
Atreidae
Non-Fungible Trixie -

heh… Apologies If I’ve made this needlessly complicated.
I was just looking at an easy way to tag/find the art of KRD vs every Rainbow Dash ever.
For the Look/AU I was initially recommending something like KRDiverse, (or maybe “HoneyTech? its a brand name in the universe that will be familiar to followers of it) similar to the KanishiPandaverse tag, we see tags like this today. For example, the Spypone tag seems to get put on anything with any of Spypones OC’s in a sticky situation, despite not being “Spypone” specifically.
The reason I asked for the oc:KRD tag was for images like this where it’s been specifically created where KRD the artist is a character in the scene. But again not waiting to alienate viewers looking for just “Rainbow Dash” as they are “Rainbow Dash”… just Kinkier.
Examples of art containing the KRD character, not drawn by KRD the artist
Whilst rare, there are examples of art drawn by KRD contains a Rainbow Dash that isn’t “KRD” the character
[Suggestive] https://derpibooru.org/images/2861447
[NSFW] https://derpibooru.org/images/2872064
(Actually, these should probably get their own AU tag as Dr Rairty has their own Dentistry universe, but I’ll leave that to them to manage)
I can’t stress enough that I really also want to respect the artist’s wishes in that they don’t have “rules” for their art/universe/characters, it is just a creative and fun medium after all and I don’t want this to be “another thing they have to manage”
(for reference, I’ve only been tagging Dashies drawn by KRD and a few of their known associates. Where I can infer that is KRD based on either the accessories (Latex + piercings in a particular pattern or a hair tube) or known associate characters, (OC:caroo, OC:starshine bomber, oc:Ryleigh for example)
Posted Report
Atreidae
Non-Fungible Trixie -

For an example of art similar to what I think you are trying to do, look at:
That is an OC that is an AU of Rainbow Dash, and the OC tag implies ultimare universe - but it does not imply rainbow dash.
Thanks for the suggestion, I’d almost say that’s perfect. but that it should imply ‘Rainbow Dash’ and whatever tag we come up with for the KRD/HoneyTech universe.
As you can see, all images tagged oc:prism wing are also tagged Rainbow Dash
(Also, this is a cool-looking AU, I might have to read up on it.)
Posted Report
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Atreidae
I’m not aware of any situation where we imply a canon character on an OC tag.
I’ve asked the folks on the team who deal with tagging to look this all over and let us know what they think. For now, I don’t see anything that is, for me at least, actionable.
Posted Report
Background Pony #8D59
I wouldn’t make it an oc: tag. There’s plenty of precedence for tags identifying particular alternate interpretations of characters: loony luna (a superset of ask loony luna), rainbow factory dash, kinkie pie, fluttgirshyI can’t think of a case off the top of my head where there wasn’t already a name given by the creator neither for that interpretation nor for some associated body of work (a fanfic, an AU, etc.) but whatever. I found one: screwingwithsfm’s rainbow dash
So, krd rainbow dash/krd's rainbow dash
As for a tag grouping a body of related work, like, just make one. If it needs improvement later, it can be aliased or hand-retagged or whatever. A 20-post thread about it seems like making it waaaay harder than it needs to be.
@Ciaran
There are very few; I found oc:futashy, oc:raptorshy, and oc:wrong neighborhood repost sparkle. On the flip side, I’d also guess that there are very few oc: tags for characters that are supposed to be like an official character except not.
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide