Viewing last 25 versions of post by Ciaran in topic 2023 Derpibooru Community Collab

Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
[@saby](/forums/art/topics/2023-derpibooru-community-collab?post_id=5317128#post_5317128)
For me, one of the really important things to make sure of is that you're not leaving any floaters which will end up laying over the top of other people's ponies during composition.

There's a million ways to do this. This is how I do it.

>>2994342p

A big problem is the little white blobs that are close to the outline of the character. They're non-contiguous, so the way I learned to handle them was to get as close as possible to the main outline (the black line) and then spam magic wands to grab the debris, combined with "select similar":

![](https://i.imgur.com/Z4rOFDN.png)

Then I use the eraser, set to HARD, to open a gap between the body that we want, and the background we are trying to get rid of. My default base layer is cyan so I can see it. It really helps floaters pop.

In this image you can see another floater that I had to grab with the wand in order to continue the erasure.

![](https://i.imgur.com/ZDY8Npz.png)

Soon enough you've outlined the figures, and can dismiss your mask, set the sensitivity to 254, and if you then click anywhere outside the erased outline you should grab only the background.

![](https://i.imgur.com/8MFkOwL.png)

Save as transparency, and you've got something ready to have the outer edge smoothed, or antialiased if you want.

It doesn't always work, but for me this is a fast and familiar way to clean up backgrounds.

And, because I'm doing it with a brush on a drawing tablet, it's easy to "smooth out" spots where the outline doesn't connect to itself, or where the figure's primary tone is the same as the background, like under the main character's arm.

That's just how I do it - there's others who can make masks super fast and super reliably.

And you can do the exact same thing by working with the outline instead of the background to create the mask. In this case, the background just was super handy to start with.

[@Dex Stewart](/forums/art/topics/2023-derpibooru-community-collab?post_id=5316314#post_5316314)
NHere's mine as prowmised:

>>2994342s

Unfortunately,
it looks like you havended up with several versions of yourthe same image re- andy to go - but it looks like most of theym all have got tags for the collab. sSo you'll need to pick the one you want to go with.

Please choose which one you prefer, and zap the collab tags from the rest. Or let me know which one you prefer and I'll remove the tags from the others for you.
No reason given
Edited by Ciaran
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
[@Cisaranby](/forums/art/topics/2023-derpibooru-community-collab?post_id=53171628#post_53171628)
For me, one of the really important things to make sure of is that you're not leaving any floaters which will end up laying over the top of other people's ponies during composition.

>>2994342p

A big problem is the little white blobs that are close to the outline of the character. They're non-contiguous, so the way I learned to handle them was to get as close as possible to the main outline (the black line) and then spam magic wands to grab the debris, combined with "select similar":

Then I use the eraser, set to HARD, to open a gap between the body that we want, and the background we are trying to get rid of. My default base layer is cyan so I can see it. It really helps floaters pop.

In this image you can see another floater that I had to grab with the wand in order to continue the erasure.

Soon enough you've outlined the figures, and can dismiss your mask, set the sensitivity to 254, and if you then click anywhere outside the erased outline you should grab only the background.

Save as transparency, and you've got something ready to have the outer edge smoothed, or antialiased if you want.

It doesn't always work, but for me this is a fast and familiar way to clean up backgrounds.

And, because I'm doing it with a brush on a drawing tablet, it's easy to "smooth out" spots where the outline doesn't connect to itself, or where the figure's primary tone is the same as the background, like under the main character's arm.

That's just how I do it - there's others who can make masks super fast and super reliably.

And you can do the exact same thing by working with the outline instead of the background to create the mask. In this case, the background just was super handy to start with.

[@Dex Stewart](/forums/art/topics/2023-derpibooru-community-collab?post_id=5316314#post_5316314)
Now you have several versions of your image ready to go - but it looks like they all have got tags for the collab so you'll need to pick the one you want to go with.

Please choose which one you prefer, and zap the tags from the rest.
No reason given
Edited by Ciaran
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
[@Ciaran](/forums/art/topics/2023-derpibooru-community-collab?post_id=5317168#post_5317168)

>>2994342p

Now you have several versions of your image ready to go - but it looks like they all have got tags for the collab so you'll need to pick the one you want to go with.

No reason given
Edited by Ciaran
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
[@Ciaran](/forums/art/topics/2023-derpibooru-community-collab?post_id=5317168#post_5317168)

>>2994342p

No reason given
Edited by Ciaran
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ

>>2994342p

No reason given
Edited by Ciaran