Another Cringe Thread About Bronies in General. (Possibly NSFW)

StormsparkPegasus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

I hadn’t planned on posting anymore here, because I don’t really consider myself part of the fandom anymore, but I am not “scared” to express my views, and I do not ever hide behind anonymous posts or alt accounts.
I have interacted with Mixmaster a few times. And while I do agree with his general sentiment, I think his methods are a complete waste of time, and we strongly disagree on a lot of details (especially tagging random people in tweets). My attitude now, is basically the result of over 2.5 years of people telling me I can’t disregard S9 because “it’s canon”. I don’t CARE what Hasbro says “canon” is. My patience for people saying dumb things like that was exhausted over 2 years ago, and I will not put up with it. I do not consider S9 canon (except for 3 early episodes which is neither here nor there), and I do not accept the ending. I don’t care what other people like or don’t like, I’m just tired of people telling ME that I have to accept it, because I will not, and they can’t make me. That’s not referring to any specific individual, just “in general”. I left the “general fandom” because it no longer shares my interests - to put it bluntly, they are not fans of the same thing I am, so there is no common ground for me to be part of that community anymore.
There is this “argument” going around that people don’t like the ending because “it doesn’t match their headcanon”. That’s a strawman. None of us EVER said that (not even Mixmaster), and headcanon has nothing to do with it. I (and even Mixmaster, this is one thing we do agree on) want the ending to be true to the characters and the world. The “ending” given is not. It is OOC, they had to twist everyone into bad caricatures of themselves to make what passes for a story work. Everyone was character assassinated, and even details of the world contradict what we know. But that is just one point, I could easily write a novel about all the problems, but I don’t feel like writing a novel here. That doesn’t mean the points I’m NOT addressing here aren’t important.
I can, and have, spoken reasonably about what’s wrong with the season in general, and this episode in particular, in the past. And if there is anyone who is genuinely curious about my views, I don’t mind explaining it. It has nothing to do with “my headcanon”, just what makes sense for the characters/world. What I AM tired of is Hasbro apologists telling me “you MUST accept it because it’s canon”. I have heard that many times, and I am sick of it, and I am not going to be cordial to those people. The splinter group I am part of (which is steadily growing) is NOT SaveMLP. In fact SaveMLP and I have strong disagreements on a lot of things (even if we have the same basic sentiment about the “ending”). We have no intention of trying to “force” Hasbro to do anything (we think it is a complete waste of time). Hasbro is a corporation and everything they do is based on money. Our long term goal is to rewrite it ourselves. I’ve written a few outlines to fix a few episodes. I wrote a new outline for 2,4,6,Great in less than 2 minutes that makes it actually in character for Rainbow. (Note: an outline is NOT a complete script, it’s just a general outline.) The ending will have to be completely different. IN THE PRESENT (no stupid time skip plot devices), with a general “and the adventure continues” vibe. That way, anyone can imagine whatever they want. Progress on this is slow of course, but with creative video editing and some 15.ai voices we may eventually have something substantial beyond writing.
I do not hide behind anonymous posts, and I make no attempt to hide any of my views. I also don’t care what people think. But as I said, if someone is genuinely interested in my views on why the season is so bad, I don’t mind sharing them.
I have no idea where the discussion of fascists came from a couple pages back, I can only assume that’s another discussion entirely that happens to be in the same thread. I am STRONGLY against fascism in all forms, and I actively fight against it.
HorsesandMuchMOAR
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Gallusposting since 2019
I also don’t like S9’s ending to be honest, but I also don’t force people to accept it as canon, because I don’t even take the show seriously. Therefore, the show is nothing more than a quarry of fanart and memes, so I don’t even care about canon although I know it exists.
As long as I have a mind, my fingers, and the Internet and notes, I can just write whatever I want. If any fan gets angry at me for non-canon stuff, either I will show them all the alternate universe stuff, or jump straight to laughing back at them and ignoring them.
Seiken
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

There are things i didn’t like, that didn’t make sense to me, but my feelings and yours and everyone else’s be damned, its canon. If you have the attitude that you don’t care what a company considers canon or not then why even argue with people in the first place?
Canon or not, didn’t stop anyone from making content that seems unlikely, outlandish or outright contradicting canon. Which of course is absolutely fine.
Saying X for them isn’t canon is just a way of expressing strongly they thought its stupid, it doesn’t literally mean its not canon, because that’s not how anything works.
S9 is canon… you obviously don’t like it, but its a fact, deal with it.
StormsparkPegasus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

I am not going to accept the ending (I consider Rainbow Roadtrip the ending). I also will not watch/read anything that builds on it (so the newer comics and G5 are no-goes for me as well, not watching them). Hasbro has the right to consider whatever they want to be “canon” but that doesn’t mean I’m going to accept it. “Canon” is a crappy term anyway, it’s ultimately Hasbro forcing something bad on someone else in this case. The ending is not a “fact”, and I choose to disregard it. Anyway, my group is going to slowly be working on rewrites. Fixing episodes to be in-character when possible (when the concept isn’t bad). Or outright junking them when the concept makes no sense. We’re going to go back to S8 and make a few changes there as well. S8, while a HUGE drop in quality from S7 and before, is not anywhere near the dumpster fire that S9 was, it just needs a few tweaks here and there, so that won’t be nearly as massive of a change.
As far as I’m concerned, Celestia/Luna are still there, the tree is still there, there was never any villian escape, Twilight has a little more authority and responsibility than before, but is still in her castle. And it’s not “the future”(tm) and everyone is still young. That’s my “canon”. A lot of people don’t seem to get that fans can disregard “offical” material whenever they want, especially if it’s bad. The Doctor Who fandom revolted when their show was destroyed. So did several other fandoms. Why didn’t this fandom revolt?
But as far as “dealing with it”…I (and my group) are “dealing with it”, by saying those events didn’t happen and rewriting it. If the “fandom” doesn’t like that, they can go not like that somewhere else and leave us alone. That’s a big reason I left to begin with.
Background Pony #990D
@StormsparkPegasus
Because everyone has different opinions. If they’re fine with the ending and Season 9, let them be. It’s not like they’re deliberately harming you.
And this is a fandom centerd around a children’s horse cartoon. You really want to make us more of a laughing stock by “revolting” over a cartoon?
StormsparkPegasus

@StormsparkPegasus
Because everyone has different opinions. If they’re fine with the ending and Season 9, let them be. It’s not like they’re deliberately harming you.
And this is a fandom centerd around a children’s horse cartoon. You really want to make us more of a laughing stock by “revolting” over a cartoon?
Ah, the “it’s a kid’s show” copout. FIM was never a children’s show, it was a family show, big distinction. But, even IF it were…it’s ok for kid’s shows to have bad writing huh? Implying kids (girls especially) are dumb, and it’s ok if their content has bad writing.
Laughing stock…lol. Standing up and making dislikes known when a creative work goes bad (or really drops in quality), happens in every single fandom ever. It happened in Star Trek. It happened in Stargate. It happened in Doctor Who. I guess the FIM fandom is too afraid of “being a laughing stock” over bad writing. That explains a lot. I encountered people in the fandom who were almost ashamed of being fans because of the “it’s a kid’s show” fallacy. I was never like that, probably because I was never afraid of that (I don’t experience peer pressure).
A large percentage of the fandom hated the “ending”. Not everyone was as passionate and outspoken about it, but there was a lot of dislike (which was shut down by the Hasbro mouthpiece EQD by shunning people away when they said a single negative thing). It’s why so many people got disillusioned and left. We’ve had the fandom splinter before (Twilicorn is an example), but never like what happened at the “end”.
Disregarding the “ending” is the only way I can remain a fan of the show. Because it retroactively destroys the entire thing to the core. I swear, there are so many things wrong with that episode that each thing takes a novel to explain.
Background Pony #4166
How about we just accept the show got bad years ago, steadily got worse, then ended on an outright mistake, learn what we can from FiM’s failures and be better and wiser people for it, and call it a day?
StormsparkPegasus

How about we just accept the show got bad years ago, steadily got worse, then ended on an outright mistake, learn what we can from FiM’s failures and be better and wiser people for it, and call it a day?
I kind of agree and kind of disagree. You do make a good point, but we don’t have to consider FIM as a whole a “failure” because it was not.
I mean…it didn’t start really dropping until S8. Sure there were a few misses here and there in earlier seasons. Nothing is perfect. But it was in general still amazing, and heck even in S8 the good outweighed the bad. But we don’t have to outright drop FIM and all of the good it had, and just say “eh it’s a lesson to learn”. I’m cynical and bitter about the “end”, but I’m not cynical and bitter about the show as a whole.
I still do regular rewatches (with the tumor of the ending and everything even tangentially connected to it surgically removed). In fact I’m in the middle of one now. When I get to the end of S8 I only watch 3 episodes of S9 (Point of No Return, Common Ground, Going to Seed, the only episodes that don’t need changes), then Rainbow Roadtrip acts as the finale. There is no reason we can’t continue and build on that. If you say the future hasn’t happened yet, creative works can still continue just like they did years ago. You don’t have to completely drop something because “the show ended”. If the Star Trek fandom did that, it would’ve never continued past the original series.
StormsparkPegasus

Honestly I didn’t really have any intention of posting in here at first anyway. Because I don’t consider myself part of “the fandom” any more for this reason. I just got tired of being lumped in with things I’m not a part of, so it was mostly to set the record straight, and offer to actually explain my views if anyone was interested, and offer some outside perspective. I see that noone is, which doesn’t surprise me (as I said I left the fandom for a reason). So I’m going to bow out this thread, as there is nothing here that really interests me and it’s not productive.
Anyway, something I’ve noticed here, is a very “consumer” oriented mindset. The fandom in general seeing itself the way corporations see people. As “consumers”, not people. Meaning, they see the fandom as people that are there to consume product, and not complain. And, a lot of people then see themselves that way too. I just don’t get it. Great example of why I despise the term “consumer”. Don’t ask questions, just consume product, then get excited for next product.
Background Pony #4166
I mean…it didn’t start really dropping until S8.
That’s what they all say. Or at least the most forgiving viewers. Doesn’t necessarily make it true though.
Background Pony #990D
It’s still funny how he’s acting like anyone who enjoys Season 9 and the finale are like the worst people imaginae and are “consumers”. People are allowed to like things you you don’t, just like you have the right to dislike what they love. But I guess he never got the memo.
It’s been said before, but this fandom doesn’t practice what the show preaches.
Background Pony #4166
@Background Pony #990D
They used to, sadly. At least until something changed that resulted in a not insubstantial portion of the fandom developing cynicism towards new aspects of the show, which is inherently incompatible with optimists of the fandom.
Many of the fans who got into FiM at the start were no different than Mixmaster. They were not happy people. When FiM made them happy, they went to great lengths to stay happy by ignoring or downplaying fundamental changes in FiM that would have made them less happy and were fiercely belligerent to those who were willing to acknowledge these unhappy changes.
Season 8 was not where things actually started declining. It was just the point where even these unhappy viewers who were emotionally dependent on this show, like Mixmaster, could not ignore how egregious these flaws were becoming.
And it’s OK to admit that now.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
G5 are no-goes for me as well
Bruh, the connection between G5 and the canonical ending of FiM is non-existent. All it shows is that some unspecifiably long time after FiM (sufficient that the events have become mythologized), there were ponies in a divided Equestria.
@Background Pony #4166
The thing that changed was that an increasing number of fans recognized that the writers were clearly just making things up as they went along with no long-term plan for the show. Just write whatever is coolest for that season’s finale regardless of whether it makes any sense in context or sets up the next season in the right direction. Cynicism was well-earned.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Too often devolves into personal attacks on other users, instead of media personalities.