Starlight Glimmer- What is the opinion of her still?

Lord WyrmSpawN
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Lingering Wyvern
@Ring Team  
I get it, it feels like it invalidates one of the core tenets of the setting and makes her level of power and even her personality from the start deeply violating.

Like a creature that eats souls. Or non-lethal amounts of brain.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@Ring Team  
Cutie marks go a bit deeper than that, as seen from “Magical Mystery Cure”, but this isn’t the time or place to get into it. I thought Starlight’s ability was really interesting from a writing perspective, and the character as a whole was the only villain who challenged the Mane 6 on their own turf. Rather than being some super-powered ancient evil, Starlight was just like Twilight: a powerful mage with a deep understanding of magic, and a deeper understanding of how people worked, allowing her to manipulate and control. In taking away their cutie marks, Starlight forced them into a position where there were no cheap, easy answers; they had to outright outsmart her rather than overpowering her with some new piece of magic.

All of that is why I really wish she had been kept as a villain, or at the very least developed as a hero along more pragmatic lines. Like, imagine if they had made an episode where at the Friendship School, she forces everyone to be equal in physical abilities so they have to solve problems through teamwork and logic instead. It would’ve been a great use of the character as she was.
eqq_scremble
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

The Applecord man
@GenericArchangel  
I’m partial to this thinking too.  
It’s interesting for her to be very powerful as a villain but it also left a very weird gap.

When Trixie did some horrible shit with the Alicorn amulet, they ended up taking it away and shooed the de-powered Trixie out of town.  
When Starlight was defeated it became evident that taking her magic stick away wouldn’t stop her at all so… she just kept being very powerful and dangerous but no one worried about it again.  
It’s really no wonder that she went on to do some world ending nonsense.

(Did however like her a lot better when she was more of a vague villain with twisted “for the greater good” intentions rather than “my childhood crush abandoned me” later because honestly yikes.)
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@eqq_scremble  
Oh, I will always say she was better as an ideologue who felt that cutie marks were a problem with the world that shoehorned ponies into roles they may not have wanted. I always felt like a poignant example could’ve been an earth pony who wanted to work with weather-making, but couldn’t.

Even her redemption would’ve been better because of this. Showing an ideologue why their ideals are wrong creates a much more compelling story as they let go of their worldview and slowly come to accept that they were, fundamentally, wrong.
eqq_scremble
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Artist -

The Applecord man
@GenericArchangel  
Definitely agree.  
Leaving her in such an awkward spot in canon is how a bunch of canon interpretations have her go back to villainy or be a secret villain behind the scenes (seen this in a lot of next gen stories)

They could have even just tied in the Sunburst thing with it like, that being her first foray into hating cutiemarks BUT THEN SHE BUILD ON IT instead of being just stuck on that.  
And she was shown as a still highly flawed person for a good while (hypnotising your friends to not have to deal with things properly ? hello ?) But alas this sorta thing was played more for gags rather than actually writing a season long reformation.
Background Pony #DC02
@Latecomer  
Complaining about the existence of midichlorians seems like complaining that germ theory exists and that treacle isn’t a true cure-all. Or that the universe and solar system aren’t geocentric.
Northern Verve

During the show’s run. I was always sort of lukewarm towards Starlight. She made an interesting villain, though what they did with her in Season 5 finale is pretty divisive for a reason. The implications of Time Travel doesn’t feel like it’s given the weight it should given that literally effects the entire world. Where a simple misstep could mean characters we care about aren’t even born just as an example of the seriousness. So when she’s rather quickly turned good quickly and not with much pushback (Where Sunset in Equestria Girls still had to go through some mistrust from others). And that’s not even including the additional spices such as her being strong enough to match up with Alicorn Twilight on a 1-on-1 duel without any kind of magic amplifying device and a rather lackluster backstory that’s never expanded on. Oh, and I guess one thing that should be considered is the fear that Starlight was going to eventually become an Alicorn too when Twilight’s made her a student.

Her time as a part of the show as a reformed character had it’s own share of fun from time to time. Though I was always like, if they weren’t going to explain Starlight a little more then it felt it was necessary then why should I really care one way or another about a Starlight episode? (Not that I couldn’t like any Starlight episode, in some ways I kinda like how Every Little Thing She Does was basically a parallel to Lesson Zero). Though once she’s dropped from being Twilight’s student she has no clear direction of where her character is going. So in Season 7 she mainly makes a few more friends and helps out with other things but otherwise we don’t know where the show’s going to take her.

Then in the final two seasons she’s employed at the Friendship school and eventually becomes the Principal. Which I will say is something of a decent role given to her in the context that they didn’t do much with her. Though I always can’t help if maybe some fans of Starlight may have seen that as a bit underwhelming given the exact scope of the character feels like it’d end in a much bigger position then a Principal. I’m not saying she should of actually been made an Alicorn too, especially with how little we know about her. There was always this sense that we just never got enough of what would of actually been important to know about Starlight.

Just a little over a year later when I was brainstorming concepts for a large story for my ask blog (I run I Dream of Twilight Sparkle. A tumblr ask blog with pixel art where Twilight is a genie). And I wanted this story to give Genie Twilight’s universe’s own answers for most of the stuff the show never answered such as where Spike’s egg came from and how it got in Equestria. And there was alot about Starlight that was left open for me to try to explore. In time… writing the story transformed my opinion on Starlight. I’m no longer as lukewarm as I am to her, in a way I can sort of say I like her now. Though she’s like now perhaps one of the biggest missed opportunities of the show to have a really compelling character. Now, I’m not saying like “If the show had done Starlight like my fanfic, it’d be perfect!” I actually just have general concepts that the show obviously would of done differently. But I think they would of helped Starlight be a little less divisive then she was. I’ll list those concepts:

1. Starlight’s relationship with her father.

Parent Map showed Starlight’s father is overly doting. But despite this, Starlight still ended up doing the bad things she did. Obviously something had to have gone wrong with his parenting. It kind of looks like that Firelight seems to be pretty naive to what her daughter’s done. Does he even know Starlight did what she did to Our Town and the time travel? That alone would of been interesting to explore.

2. Starlight’s Cutie Mark story

We surprisingly never get this. Even though this feels like it should be very important. The IDW comics never even got to cover this despite having individual issues about villains like Tirek and the Dazzlings (Or even giving Sombra a sympathetic backstory somehow). I think perhaps one of the absolute biggest opportunities is having the CMC talk to Starlight. Since it seemed like Season 5 was laying that up. The CMC’s talent turn out to be helping others get or understand their marks (Even adults like Trouble Shoes) and a villain who’s entire motivation is tied to a friend moving away because they got their cutie mark. A Starlight and CMC episode seemed like such an obvious thing to do, but it never was done. (It’s not what I go for in my story I mentioned, though my personal guess as to how she got her mark was probably the first time she ever removed a cutie mark)

3. Starlight’s missing mother

We got to know Starlight’s dad. But there seemed to be something missing that doesn’t seem to be talked about enough. We never find out who Starlight’s mother is. Is she deceased? Was there a messy divorce? Even if the show ignored the cutie mark story, at least giving more of an idea of Starlight’s childhood would of really helped. Though if say Starlight’s mom is deceased that opens up an opportunity for Starlight to bond with someone else in the Mane 6 other then Twilight. Namely Applejack of course, who we know lost both her parents at a young age.

My story does have an answer to this although only makes sense in the context of the story for a few reasons. Her mother in I Dream of Twilight Sparkle is that universe’s Sunset Shimmer. Equestria Girls had never been canon to the blog, plus this Sunset is a generation older then the one in the EQG series (She and Twilight’s mom were fillies at around the same time). She’s also deceased in this universe. I’ve naturally gotten heat from comments here and elsewhere when they don’t understand that this is an AU heh. Though I should probably always say a disclaimer that i don’t actually think Sunset is Starlight’s mother in canon. Again, it only makes sense in the context of the IDOTS universe

4. Contrasting Starlight more with the villains

Starlight has at least a pretty decent rivalry with Chrysalis it seems. Though it would of been nice for them to perhaps have more showdowns then they actually did. Though another villain to contrast that might of been interesting is with Cozy. Both Starlight and Cozy did something that are arguably on equal levels on doing terrible things to Equestria whether it was changing the timeline or taking magic away. However Starlight was able to regret her actions, where Cozy seemed psychopathic enough to not regret anything she’s ever done. I understand part of the controversy with Cozy is she’s locked up in Tartaurus as a filly. But there’s an argument that at the very least Starlight mostly went back in time to show Twilight that Cutie Marks don’t matter and not actually intending to destroy Equestria. While Cozy’s plan would almost certainly at least throw Equestria into chaos and Cozy seemingly well aware of that. The main difference perhaps is that Starlight did have empathy in her somewhere, where Cozy had none.

I think of any one of these 4 aspects had been explored, it would of made Starlight a more intriguing character that might have lessened at least some of the divisiveness around her. I do cover all 4 of these in my story. Though again I’ll repeat this isn’t a “If the show did it like my fanfic” I just mean the general concept. There are ways the show could take these 4 concepts differently then I did in the story that’d be interesting in their own right.

That said, it does mean now that I’m making up some lost time to appreciate Starlight’s character more. I didn’t care for her much during the show’s run, but realizing how much missed potential has really risen her up the ranks for me. And I actually look forward to doing more with her over on I Dream of Twilight Sparkle (As well as another blog that I’m collaborating with a friend on, though funnily enough it’s going full ham on the evil Starlight from Season 5 as a contrast from the reformed Starlight). The me from just 2 years ago would probably hardly believe I’d be doing all that I’m doing with Starlight. ^^’
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Like, imagine if they had made an episode where at the Friendship School, she forces everyone to be equal in physical abilities so they have to solve problems through teamwork and logic instead. It would’ve been a great use of the character as she was.

That would be an interesting character moment, on her and the subjects’ part, where she forces them to basically repeat what the Mane Six did. They had to outsmart her, so she’d hope they’d repeat that in the given trial. Problem would be, her spell only works on ponies, and to branch out further would require reworking (and would make her very OP to pull that off, since it branches out to the likes of dragons and Discord, among others), unless it were meant to be pony specific as a challenge.

@GenericArchangel  
Oh, I will always say she was better as an ideologue who felt that cutie marks were a problem with the world that shoehorned ponies into roles they may not have wanted. I always felt like a poignant example could’ve been an earth pony who wanted to work with weather-making, but couldn’t.

I think that’s projecting too much of Trouble Shoes’ episode onto her ideology; that was never what she was spouting about as a villain. She wanted other ponies to have no purpose, but to follow her, deep down; if she lost one friend, it would hurt less for her, since she could just replace them, and on a conscious level, she wanted others to get along her way because they were supposedly too different to get along on their own accord, based on personal experience, and it took her seeing the end of the world to start doubting herself. That was the entire reason she couldn’t understand how the Mane Six could both matter, and be such close friends despite, or because of, their differences, which led to her loss the first time. It was also the lure of her cult, that they, as misfits, could all fall in line and make friends, by being the same; ponies like Fluttershy would’ve been exactly the type to join.

The main problem with her was the S5 finale spent too much time on alternate timelines and that song wrapping it up all-too-neatly, as opposed to elaborating more on the “how’s” and “why’s” of her character.

If anything, that line of thinking has much more in common with Rumble’s stated philosophy in his episode, not Starlight’s, being worried about your lot in life because of your cutie mark for a reason based on it hindering your individuality, considering Starlight’s cult, by its nature, had exactly nothing to do with individuality, setting yourself apart from others, bucking the trend beyond “follow me instead.” That’s also why the S6 finale paralleled Starlight with Chrysalis, since Chrysalis, intentionally or not, also held back individuality for her MO of exploiting her subjects’ hunger for her ambitions, on a more macro scale, at least before she dropped caring about them like a hot potato after S6, that is.
Andyxdr
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Glowin' up!
Which is easier for most people to live with, Starlight being reformed or Cozy Glow being turned to stone? My guess is it’s the former.
Background Pony #B704
@Ring Team  
Oh, the “actually reformed” by your notation would be for Thorax, he wasn’t negatively portrayed at all after Spike helped him.

Ps: Your profile picture is priceless lol.
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@Background Pony #B704  
Thanks, buddy. xD

About Thorax, I was about to say that I liked his episode from season 6. It was one of the very few episodes I liked in that season… until I saw the disaster.

full

I’m not as upset as I was about the changeling redesign back in 2016. But all I ask is: why?
Background Pony #B704
@Ring Team  
The “why?”, maybe because pre-reform changelings looks too devilish for children to call them “good” and… dark…, which might be what Hasbro thinks.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Background Pony #B704  
So the previous design of the changelings was dark, but Starlight constantly being selfish, negligent, manipulative and possesive in a way that the entire Equestria don’t question her attitude isn’t dark.

full

Although let’s be fair for a second. This show never made sense. It’s not like Gravity Falls or Steven Universe. It doesn’t have a solid consistency or coherence in the first place. And at least I have my favourite episodes and I have the 2017 MLP film, so I can have a good time with it.
Background Pony #CC23
@Ring Team  
This show never made sense.

I can also say the same when it comes to relationships of Spike, especially between him and Twilight or Rarity, just confuses fans a lot, problem is solved by shipping Twilight and Rarity together and leave Spike a cuckold to fap to said lesbians.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Background Pony #CC23  
I know it’s besides the point of the thread, but I never understood the complaints I’ve read about Spike being with either Twilight or Rarity. I always saw Spike as a kid who happens to be the voice of reason of Twilight and a kid who falls in love with Rarity, nothing else.

I think seeing him as either the “son” or “little brother” of Twilight is a thought that would lead to this type of complaints. I agree that we see Twilight acting like a big sister or mother with him in some episodes (Father knows beast had shown this type of relationship). But that doesn’t mean it had to be this way all the time.

And about Rarity, I’m pretty sure that Spike’s love was just a fantasy that some kids had when they are kids. When I was a little kid I used to be attracted by a pretty teacher. But that’s just a fantasy that lasted for one month, nothing more. I think it’s the same thing when it comes to Spike.
Background Pony #B704
@Ring Team  
Anyway, Spike’s issue is a set of petty issues, but I am so annoyed by it the same way you are annoyed by Starlight’s redemption, personally for me, Starlight’s redemption is fine, yes it is rushed, and it could have been some deeper meaning to it.
Ring Team
Artist -

@Background Pony #B704  
I don’t think Spike had that issue, but I can see that.

If this makes you feel better, I didn’t like episodes such as Dragon Dropped. I think it’s fun to toy with the idea that Spike might be in love with Rarity until she became possesive in a very weird way. And for an episode like that in the last season, it felt wildly unnecessary.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide