What is the purpose of liberal arts?

ngch

The Yale-NUS College is opening this year, and as a Singaporean I like to know, what is the purpose and relevance of a liberal arts degree?

Also, what are the reasons behind the criticisms (such as this) at this tie-up from the Yale faculty? I know it’s related to Singapore’s media censorship, lack of political freedom, and restrictions on staging political protests (one will need a police permit, go figure). But surely those are not the only reasons?

Liberal arts is a very new thing to Singapore since our major universities, such as NTU, NUS and SMU have always been focused on engineering, science and business. I’m an engineering undergraduate, so arts is an alien topic to me.
AaronMk
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Sky funeral
I guess to somehow get around everything and survive in such an environment? Or… be aware enough to try and change it?

Really, reading on what Liberal Arts is in a basic sense (before now I figured it to be another art degree in a literal sense, derp) it sounds like something that should be taught more before the college/university level…
kruppenstein

I heard a joke on that issue somewhere:

“Where can you get a job with liberal arts degree?”  
“Everywhere! McDonald’s, Starbucks, Walmart…”
ngch

I heard a joke on that issue somewhere:
“Where can you get a job with liberal arts degree?”
“Everywhere! McDonald’s, Starbucks, Walmart…”

@Vlakc  
“What is the purpose of liberal arts?”
None besides being a waste of money and time.

Wow, that bad eh? The media make it sound like ‘the next big thing’, and I’m skeptical. Then again, I’ve never been into arts or philosophy, so I thought I’m missing out something important.
Roranicus

There’s 2 main reasons people go to school. To prepare for the future and for the pleasure of learning. Some kids are just deluded into thinking an art degree will give them a job and a future. It’s the kind of thing people should study cause they have money and an already assured future.

Don’t get me wrong, I do see the importance of art, litterature, etc. I just don’t think it’s worth investing huge amounts of money into university programs entirely dedicated to it. Keep including it in what we teach children and keep offering classes for it. If anything people should be encouraged to seek this stuff on their own using the internet. There’s a lot of untapped potential for people who want to educate themselves for free online.

So yeah, the purpose is to give students an appreciation for these things and how it affects society. It’s interesting but won’t get you anywhere in life unless you’re one of the few lucky enough to become a professor for the next generation of art students.
Whatevo
Thread Starter - The great GamerGate discussion.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Arch-Rarifag
It’s a waste if time. Only good for teaching liberal arts.

Really, it’s existence is more political than educational.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
It does have a purpose, but due to warped market signals (student loans for everyone regardless of degree), too many people take them, thus a glut in the labour market. STEM fields will generally guarantee you a good job.
archestereo

@gg666

…isn’t it?

(Okay, I guess I should head off the flood of “dat’s not wut da naem maens” posts and make clear that I know the name doesn’t actually refer to the political stance; it was just too easy a jab to pass up, is all. Besides, you can still make the case that a largely liberal influence looms over the “education” bearing the name of the field, and many others for that matter.)
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide