Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@northern haste  
Yeah, though admittedly I actually have a Playstation Classic. (It’s honestly not that bad, but could’ve used a few more games.)

Yeah, I’ve looked at Ghostbusters Remastered, the new SpongeBob remake, and such, and I barely notice any difference.  
And honestly, even “Sunshine,” & “Galaxy’s” graphics still hold up well, even with the higher resolution, and I don’t mind SM64 having the same graphics, (having grown up in that era, I have some nostalgia for low-polygonal games, much like how we have nostalgia for pixel art games) and despite it triggering speedrunners, I kinda like that it’s a version of SM64 only released in Japan that we never got before that has rumble pack ability.
northern haste
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Enter if you dare
I remember being Very annoyed When I found out that the switch version of the assassin’s creed 3 remaster was just a port of the wii U version
Beau Skunky
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Meanlucario  
Because that’s piracy, (as much as we try to deny it) and with that attitude you might as well pirate every game. (But I don’t wanna debate the “morality,” of supporting official rereleases over emulation, or anything. And I will admit emulation does help preserve some games that have no chance of rerelease.)  
Also, not all computers can run games perfectly, (especially my cheap ass ones that always break, I’ve gone through more computers then consoles) and honestly some of us prefer to have a physical edition.

My only complaint with “3D All-Stars” may be the price, but I got mine $10 cheaper.

And actually, SM64 did fix alot of the original bugs, and ironically that’s why so many speedrunners are mad about it, because now they can’t glitch-cheat their way through the game. (I don’t care, because I could never pull off those cheat-glitches anyway.)

@northern haste  
Yeah, though as I said, a few extra polygons aren’t very noticeable.

Maybe it’s just me, but honestly video game graphics even nowadays don’t look much different then they did a decade ago. Even on PS5’s upcoming games, they look no different then a PS4 to me.

Honestly, I kinda tire of realistic graphics, (and honestly they don’t age well) I kinda prefer expressionism, (like Wario Ware, Okami, or “No Straight Roads”) over realism any day.
northern haste
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag

Enter if you dare
@Beau Skunky  
The other versions did get a graphical upgrade Let’s which version even still had the same graphical error with a hole on Benjamin Franklin’s arm.  
I know it’s not just because the switch isn’t as powerful as the other consoles because ghostbuster still looked a bit better than the ps3 version
Meanlucario
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Time to get spooky
@Beau Skunky  
Galaxy came out in 2007, 13 years ago. Once it’s ten years old, it’s free game for emulators, and considering that money is going to be important in the near future, why waste money on something you can get for free instead at a better quality (or even better since mods are a thing)?
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Meanlucario  
Do you even know how copyright works? Copyrights last much longer then one mere decade, or even 3. (Depending on your country.) Also, I’ve seen some emulators run games innacurately to the original hardware. (I once tried StarFox SNES on a friend’s emulator. Because it couldn’t run the Super FX tech properly, it moved so fast, it was unplayable.) So they aren’t always reliable, or accurate. (This is why emulators are banned from “high score” arcade records, and why Billy Mitchell was disqualified of his Donkey Kong arcade record.)

That money argument could be made for any game really, why pay for any game then?  
I don’t understand why some gamers feel a need to rag on those whom support official sales. Also, supporting official rereleases actually does help some game series. Like the reason “Sin & Punishment 2” was made, was because the Wii Virtual Console version of the first S&P game sold so well. So if you don’t pay to support a series, then you can’t complain about it being dead.

But as I said, I don’t really wish to debate this any further.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
@Beau Skunky  
Emulation isn’t inherently piracy. It’s a grey area. I’m personally not a fan of how Nintendo approaches their classic games either. You either fork over hundreds for an old cart, or pay for a digital version you won’t always have access to. They’re the only video game company with this approach.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
I kinda disagree, as I think 5-bucks for an old NES game on Virtual Console is pretty fair. (And I’ve seen some used game cartridges quite cheap actually. I even saw “Gyromite” for only 99 cents once. Which isn’t a bad game, even without a R.O.B.)  
Or $20 a year for unlimited access to quite a few NES & SNES games. (That’s cheaper then Netflix, or most online MMORPG subscriptions, or EA microtransactions.)

Sony & Microsoft charge more for some of their subscriptions, rereleases, or remakes, as well sometimes, so they aren’t perfect either.
Mikey
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Ayriana
@Beau Skunky  
That’s not the point. I’m talking about the finite of digital products. And the overpriced nature of physical NES, SNES and N64 carts you find on Amazon or eBay. That $5 sounds good on paper, but what happens if your Wii breaks? You’re out of luck. And there’s always the risk of losing your Nintendo accounts.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
That’s true of any PC, Sony & Microsoft console, STEAM, or anything really. (Remember when the Playstation Network got hacked?)  
What if you lose your STEAM password, or PC, emulators, or back-ups in a fire? What if this, what if that? What if the world was made of pudding?

Regardless, I remember when I sent my Wii to Nintendo to be repaired, (under warrenty too, thankfully, didn’t cost a thing, not even shipping) when I got it back, I still had my account, and ALL of my game save data was still safe on it. (Though, I had to redownload my games, but they didn’t cost anything.) Say what you want about Nintendo, but their customer service isn’t bad, and I never had any issue with my Nintendo/Eshop account.

And frankly, as I said I’ve had more PCs break then consoles, even Nintendo ones. So PCs & PC gaming aren’t perfect either.
Mikey
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Ayriana
@Beau Skunky  
I know, I’m not singling out Nintendo in that regard. It’s just that approach towards classic games is annoying. And I never implied PCs don’t. Of course they do. My point is I hate how Nintendo treats old games. Make them easy to get and let them have permanency.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
@Beau Skunky  
Not really, those 3 all have account based systems, all you need to do is have access to your account and you have access to all your games again even if you need to get new consoles. In contrast, until the Switch everything was tied to your console rather than your account, so if you lose your console you lose everything. Now, it’s not like you can’t get them back, and like you said, they do actually have pretty good customer service, but getting everything back is a pain in the ass. I recently got a New 2DS after losing my old 3DS a while ago, and while I was able to get my games back, it took 2 weeks to get it back because I didn’t have the original 3DS(normally it’s supposed to take 1 week but they messed up somewhere and had to restart the process). While not impossible, it’s a huge pain in the ass when it shouldn’t have to be
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
For what I said already, I think they already are pretty easy to get whether through official purchase, or unofficially.

I will admit, compared to Wii Virtual Console when it first started, the rereleases on more recent systems are rather slow, but according to Nintendo themselves, that’s because they wish to spend more time making new games, then old ones, which might be a better priority.

In fact, I hear just porting a game to a new Nintendo system is a process, as they have to locate the original source codes, bug-test them, reprogram certain things, and such just to put them on Virtual Console, or Switch Online. They don’t just have a magic button that automatically makes a game work on new hardware. So I think people don’t even give ports enough credit,

@Kiryu-Chan  
They are getting better with that though, as a Switch Nintendo account can be used on more then one system, especially for families that have more then one.
Icicle Niceicle 1517
Stormfeather - For supporting the site
Strawberry Sunrise - For Patreon supporters
Tempest & Elizabat - Derpi Supporter
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Ocs,Boops,Tickles&Memes
@Blissful690  
It’s because the Henry Stickmin collection got released to steam tgis year and that posted the popularity of the game, then people found out the same people who made Stickmin also made Among Us, and so that game got a boost I popularity too
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
Physical games still exist too, and digital games have advantages too.

In regards to your “you could lose your data/digital/account games” argument, physical game cartridges/discs can get damaged/destroyed/lost too. So no matter the format, your games aren’t 100% safe.
Beau Skunky
Artist -

Join my Beach Party RP!
@Mikey  
Not always, in fact, save data on some old game cartridges can become corrupt if not resaved for a long time, or the save batteries in old cartridges or consoles can die rendering them unable to save.  
Remember when the AVGN had to replace his Sega Saturn console’s batteries?

There’s also “disc rot” on some old 32-bit console or PC disc games, and such. And it’s hard to find used physical disc games that aren’t full of scratches, and such.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
Pretty sure the pros for physical far outweigh the cons, especially compared to digital. Namely, you actually own those games still, and companies can’t take them away, which still happens to digital(from delisting to outright removing them like PT). As long as you aren’t reckless with them and actually take care of them, they should be fine
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide