Does staff realistically expect people to check the DNP list before reposting?

deactivated115986a46

It’s not intuitive to navigate. I’m not going to remember every username after taking several hours to scroll through each page. If there isn’t a system in place to auto-reject images with certain artist names, there ought to be. The rules sound like staff puts so much responsibility on the user to double-check whether or not they can repost the art. Even if you got permission, it’s possible the artist set a DNP criteria they forgot about or their username changed. Not much you can do about usernames changing, but either word the warning less intimidatingly or rework the DNP page. Reposting is often a priority of boorus, and some artists who’d dislike reposts die before they can complain, so unless you force everyone to ask for permission before reposting (like some sites do) or at LEAST make an easy-to-navigate DNI page, it’s a strange attitude.
I’m not saying staff HAVE to do this or that I’m entitled to post random art I find without asking for permission, but there’s no rule stating that you HAVE to ask for permission while the attitude implies the mods are ready to ban.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Prurientity
You don’t have to search the DNP listings, just look at the artist’s tag.
If they have a DNP it will be right there on the top of the page, in red.
And unless you’re doing something incredibly odd, or nefarious, there is no punishment. We just delete the image. At worse if you keep doing it well send you a PM asking you to stop.
deactivated115986a46

@Ciaran
Oh. Perhaps see if there’s a way to communicate that on the upload page? I’m not sure if it’s communicated in the expanded rules, as I’m too sleepy to read them right now (let alone clear up a potential upload).
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Prurientity
If you try to upload an image with an art tag that is Artist Upload Only, the site will give you an error. IIRC it even asks you to check the artist’s DNP. For others, if you upload it and then click the artist tag you’ll see if there’s a DNP with some other criteria. If that happens, and you realize you uploaded an image that the artist asks people not upload, like an edit or something that is “with permission”, just report it for “Takedown” and say in the text field that you didn’t realize they were DNP until you uploaded it.
It’s easier, and usually better, if you can check the artists tag before you upload, but if that’s not possible and you notice afterwards, just report it. Well take the image down.
No harm no fowl. It really does happen all the time.
Background Pony #EF46
If they have a DNP it will be right there on the top of the page, in red.
That’s true, with the caveat that searching for an artist tag that has 0 images on the site will not take you to the tag info, whereas it does when there are some images. Changing it so a search still takes you to the tag page when there are no results is something myself and others have asked for in the feature requests page, for the very reason of making DNP info easier to come across.
deactivated115986a46

@Ciaran
Thank you for your service, and I apologize if my tone was rude. Though I want to point out the phrase is “no harm, no foul”. “Fowl” refers to poultry, and “foul” refers to “unpleasant” (a word similar to “harm”). Noticeable grammatical mistakes can lead snide people to derail conversations with unnecessary mockery or well-meaning people to over-correct.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide