Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Is there any chance of ever making the search field at the top of the page any wider? Even just moving the search/search with image/help buttons out of the field would help, as it is any search longer than one or two words runs out into nowherespace.
Amethyst Star - For supporting the site
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Silver Supporter - Silver Supporter
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

I’ve been doing some benchmarking on my Ryzen 7 2700X. I don’t know how that compares to what you’re running the site on, but I hope it will still be useful.
derpibooru=# select count(*) from users;
 count
--------
(1 row)

Time: 21.599 ms
There are 462k users on the site.
derpibooru=# select count( distinct tag_changes.image_id ) as image_count, users.name
    from tag_changes
    join users on tag_changes.user_id = users.id
    group by users.name
    order by image_count desc
    limit 20;
 image_count |        name
-------------+--------------------
     2021969 | Dragonpone
      727405 | Zeb
      404496 | deactivateda0841fe
      333667 | GlitchedWolf
      261694 | Princess Luna
      236625 | LightningBolt
      224932 | Paws359
      189831 | Ereiam
      189221 | JP
      151202 | 971384265
      124257 | 🙂
      123776 | saby
      113768 | Mildgyth
      104096 | WatermelonRat
       99124 | patec
       96985 | Markiz93
       90304 | Defender of 5
       89030 | ZONESS
       80520 | Crow
       73005 | stsyn
(20 rows)

Time: 19999.431 ms (00:19.999)
Out of these, 14 users have changed tags on more than 100k images.
Clear winner here is Dragonpone with over 2M changed images. Congratulations!
derpibooru=# select count( distinct tag_changes.image_id )
    from tag_changes
    join tags on tag_changes.tag_id = tags.id
    where users.name = 'Dragonpone' and tags.name = 'g4';
  count
---------
(1 row)

Time: 737.473 ms
…almost all of which are for “g4”.
derpibooru=# select count( distinct tag_changes.image_id )
    from tag_changes
    join tags on tag_changes.tag_id = tags.id
    where users.name = 'Dragonpone' and tags.name <> 'g4';
 count
--------
(1 row)

Time: 3359.351 ms (00:03.359)
But there are still 177k images affected by other tag changes. Not bad. But we’re getting distracted.
So how long does it take to count the total number of images affected by the tag changes of a given user? We know what the worst case is going to be.
derpibooru=# select count( distinct tag_changes.image_id ) as image_count, users.name
    from tag_changes
    where users.name = 'Dragonpone'
    group by users.name;
 image_count |    name
-------------+------------
     2021969 | Dragonpone
(1 row)

Time: 1169.377 ms (00:01.169)
Ouch. Over a second. But we can consider this a pathological case. What about the next one in the list?
    from tag_changes
    where users.name = 'Zeb'
    group by users.name;
 image_count | name
-------------+------
      727405 | Zeb
(1 row)

Time: 647.426 ms
Still not great, but also not a disaster. And image_count is decreasing quickly for the next couple of users. Now what if we ignore the 0.003% of users that have touched more than 100k images? #15 on the list:
    from tag_changes
    where users.name = 'patec'
    group by users.name;
 image_count | name
-------------+-------
       99124 | patec
(1 row)

Time: 101.447 ms
Page generation time as reported in the footer of the site is around 350ms to 400ms for me when browsing images on the site, so I guess this should be fine already.
And for more average users
    from tag_changes
    where users.name = '.'
    group by users.name;
 image_count | name
-------------+------
         815 | .
(1 row)

Time: 2.399 ms
So if you look at the top ten busiest taggers on the site, it might take a few hundred ms. For 99.997% of the users it should be perfectly fine.
Background Pony #0F89
I’d like to be able to filter dedupe reports for “reported by me”. If I want to see what the resolution was, I have to hunt through the pages of closed dedupes for my username, because they’re sorted by date report opened, not closed (and there’s no filtering by user - not that there necessarily should be, besides “reported by me”)
MUnicorn
Artist -

MUnicorn
Hello.
Please add functionality for saving tags to bookmarks, this will be useful for those people who plan to view a certain number of tags, but physically cannot do it at once and conveniently save pages so that they do not get lost or closed. Sometimes, the number of such tags can reach several hundred or even thousands, which is why the devices are heavily loaded.
I believe that this will be useful for many, and will allow us to solve, although not significant, but an acute problem.
I depicted and described this in more detail in >>3355885
Thank you.
Background Pony #2A5F
@MUnicorn
Can’t you just use your web browser’s bookmark functionality? This way you don’t have to keep open tabs on your device.
MUnicorn
Artist -

MUnicorn
@Background Pony #2A5F
It’s possible, but it’s not entirely convenient.
For example, I use several devices with different browsers, in which bookmarks are not combined.
But the problem with a large number of open tabs, I used here more as the most compelling reason to add this feature, and not as my own problem, which many users may have. But the reason may also be a simple desire to improve the usability of the site.
The disadvantages of using bookmarks in the browser are that it takes a few clicks, if this feature even exists in some browsers. And in the bookmarks themselves, only links are visible, which makes it difficult, for example, to choose what, for example, today I will study, since it is not clear what kind of link it is and how much material it contains. And if you also make a description of each saved link, a feature that not every browser provides, for example, the name of the tag and the approximate number of objects inside, then this task can become a pain already on the 10th link. Again, many people may have multiple browsers on different devices.
This idea in itself is individual, and I ask not to solve my problem specifically, but to improve the site by adding new functionality that will expand the capabilities of the site.
And you yourself will agree that it would be more convenient to have this feature on the site itself than to save links to browser bookmarks or copy URLs into a text document. And this functionality can be used not only to save tags that you plan to study in the future.
This functionality will add to the convenience and capabilities of the site, and for some users, solving their problems. Plus, many large sites already have similar functionality, because it’s more convenient.
I propose not for myself, but for everyone, and for the overall picture of Derpibooru.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
And if you also make a description of each saved link, a feature that not every browser provides
What browser are you using that doesn’t permit naming bookmarks?
Again, many people may have multiple browsers on different devices.
What browser are you using that isn’t cross platform and doesn’t sync bookmarks?
improve the site by adding new functionality that will expand the capabilities of the site.
It sounds like what you are asking for is a way to bookmark searches. Is that what you are asking for? If it is, just bookmark your searches.
Plus, many large sites already have similar functionality, because it’s more convenient.
Can you give an example?
MUnicorn
Artist -

MUnicorn
@Ciaran
I answer your questions:
What browser are you using that doesn’t allow you to name bookmarks?
Previously I used the built-in Browser in Android 4
What browser do you use that isn’t cross-platform and doesn’t sync bookmarks?
Here I didn’t mean cross-platform, but the fact that not every browser is convenient on different platforms, so I use different browsers on different devices.
It looks like you are asking for a way to bookmark searches. Is this what you are asking for? If so, simply bookmark your searches.
No, I know how it’s done. I just suggest adding this functionality to the site itself, which would be more convenient. I see that I wrote “please” above, in fact this is my mistake, which was not originally intended. I am suggesting this, because developers and owners have the right to choose and do what they see fit.
Can you give an example?
Yes, please: m.vk.com, instagram.com, facebook.com, and others.
I speak for myself:
I see that the conversation has turned personal, which means that I started wrong.
I suggest adding this functionality to the site, because I think that for this site it will be appropriate and convenient, I know well that everything you need can be saved in bookmarks, and I used the words about “many open tabs” as one of the reasons why This function will be useful, but I see that the example was not entirely successful.
Therefore, I ask you to forgive me for this.
The process of composing the text was quite difficult for me, and I will try to fix it. I do this because I enjoy it… And again, I repeat, I am just offering ideas, and whether you accept them or not is up to you.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@MUnicorn
I may be misunderstanding something, but I use complex filters basically for this. eg:
!(trixie OR starlight glimmer)
!(bikini OR lingerie)
twilight sparkle
Having that in Complex Hide section means that with that filter, I’d only see images of Trixie or Starlight, with a bikini or lingerie, unless there’s any Twilight there. And it’d be quickly editable and selectable in the Filters dropdown.
It’s not the most straight forward thing, but I guess the point is the core functionality already exists.
Otherwise… I guess what you’re looking for may be better described as having multiple Watchlists?
MUnicorn
Artist -

MUnicorn
@The Smiling Pony
I don’t seem to understand complex filters and would be interested to know where I can learn this. Thank you.
But that’s not it. The point is that I propose to add the ability to save tags to bookmarks on the site itself, this will be convenient so as not to forget them and not lose them. This will be convenient in the long run when you cannot study all the content at once and subscribe to many tags at once without studying them. You can read more about this and look at my post >>3355885
The meaning of bookmarks is easy to understand.
And I focus specifically on improving convenience and simplicity, which is why I propose to implement this function within the site.
Otherwise… I guess what you’re looking for may be better described as having multiple Watchlists?
No, I propose to create a section (storage) for tags that will not in any way affect what appears in “Watched Images”, but will only be readily available to the user when he needs them.
Background Pony #2A5F
@The Smiling Pony
I believe it’s about the ability to bookmark tags. It’s like bookmarking tag pages in a web browser, except the bookmarking functionality would be provided by the site itself. Kind of like Reddit allows “saving” posts and comments, even though users could bookmark them using web browser functionality.
The stated use case is to keep track of tags that might be interesting with the intention of later coming back and fully browsing through all (or at least many) images in each tag.
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #2A5F
That’s why I suggested bookmarking search results. Like, search for the tag(s) you want to bookmark, with the sort you want, and bookmark the search result. But it sounds like that’s not what they want, or they want to save the bookmark on the site, not in their browser.
Like TSP suggested: multiple watch lists. Maybe kind of like Safari’s “tab groups”?
@MUnicorn
As a workaround, you might be able to create something like what you are asking for by finding a browser that supports all your platforms and which can do the kind of bookmarking you’re asking for.
But … in case you haven’t tried them yet, I wanted to mention that galleries might do something like what you want. You can “bookmark” images in galleries to look at them later, and you can use these to build sets of images. And these are stored on the site.
Background Pony #2A5F
they want to save the bookmark on the site, not in their browser
This is how I understand it.
Like TSP suggested: multiple watch lists.
It doesn’t seem it would help this use case. The point isn’t to watch for new images. And the tags on watch list page aren’t clickable, so this method is not very suitable for storing tags with the intention of visiting them later.
MUnicorn
Artist -

MUnicorn
@Background Pony #2A5F
That’s right. And the ability to bookmark other users or comments would also be useful. But not the objects themselves (pictures), since they can already be saved to “Favorites”.
@Ciaran
I don’t need workarounds, I myself know that it is possible. I know well that many problems can be solved and I myself use many solutions that I consider necessary and safe.
Regarding saving images in the gallery specifically to mark them, this is a crutch(Crutch - not a complete workaround). And if you mark tags in this way, then it’s stupid, since there are many tags under each image, and how will you understand which one is the right one?
I propose to add a full-fledged solution that will be convenient for everyone and intuitive - saving tags to bookmarks.
And I offer this not only because I want to solve my problem differently, but because I want the Derpibooru site itself to become better, more convenient, and a more complete platform for easy use by users.
@Background Pony #2A5F
You’re right too.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
I myself know that it is possible
Great. Please let us know when it’s available and we’ll check out your implementation.
All kidding aside, your use case is hard to parse. Can you please give an example of a tag that you want to bookmark that would be better bookmarked on the site than in your browser, or that can’t be “marked” using galleries or watch lists? Just one as a simple example of what you are asking for.
MUnicorn
Artist -

MUnicorn
@Ciaran

Here you will find an example of tags and a concept of what it might look like. (Clause 3. Although all clauses have elements related to this problem)
And I want to convey to you the idea that it will be better if there is a full-fledged interface for this and not crutch methods. This will not help the site functionally, but it will make it nicer and more logical. If this function already exists, then I simply suggest adding an interface for this and placing it where it will be visible and more often used by other users. And I really don’t understand what the problem is, why you don’t understand the benefits of this solution.
I am not asking for help in solving my problem in this forum, otherwise I would have turned to another forum where I can ask for similar help, I am only offering an option on how to improve the site.
Just one as a simple example of what you are asking for.
I can offer three options, whichever one you choose)
If you are serious and want to explain something to me, then let’s stop at: james cameron's avatar
Background Pony #2A5F
There should be a feature that automatically reports someone when they create a tag longer than 80 characters. The report should of course be invisible to the user; we don’t want to prevent vandals from outing themselves.
This is inspired by observation that very long tags are often seen when tags get vandalised, but rarely otherwise.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide