SVG versus absurd res

barbeque
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Thread Starter - Tag alias request thread
Artist -
Bronze Bit -

I’m noticing that more often than not, an absurd res png gets uploaded while there is a svg available as well. Apart from the fact that the absurd res images taking up a lot of (unnecessary) resources, they might not be so absurd res anymore in, say, 10 years. Or when you want to print something poster-size.

The site supports SVG, but few people use it, because you need to check each of them manually. Things that need to be looked out for:  
  • Document size  
  • Hidden bitmap layers (delete!)  
  • Default render size (no, they usually don’t need to be 5000px)  
    The dupe filter probably won’t pick them up either.

However, I know what I’m doing, and svg support is pretty good nowadays, so if anything this thread is to ask what the mods think about svgduping existing absurd res images (or anything that has a svg really). That is, uploading a checked and if necessary fixed svg, rejecting any auto dupe-report that might fire, and most importantly dupereporting the old one. I’ll also add more tags like standing/bowing/jumping/episode to make finding them a bit easier.

Note: if BP uploads a deviantart preview image (PROTIP: 900px wide is very suspicious), I’ll svg/highresdupe them anyway. And yes I actually look at the deviation page for zip, svg, or other downloads before I upload something.
Solitude
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Element of Generosity -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

If I recall correctly, svgs are preferred to pngs by the mods, both for taking up less space and being infinitely scalable. I know of pngs that have been merged into svgs for those reasons. I figure people either don’t know the site supports svg or don’t check the source for it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide