MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
Hmm… as for ancestry:  
-Hitch is the only one of the Mane 5 descended from the Mane 6 (in this case Fluttershy) though Sunny is descended from Apple Bloom and Daring Do, so pretty close there. Hitch also has Sandbar in his ancestry.  
-Pipp and Zipp are mitochondrial descendants of Spur (and by extension Somnambula and Snowdrop)  
-Izzy’s closest ancestor in the G4 cast is Pumpkin Cake
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Ok, I’ve watched the film yesterday. Let’s discuss.
MLP A new generation is an interesting film for a lot of reasons, and most of them are related to its own way to be connected to MLP:FiM and to use it as a reference to create more content in the future once the G5 show comes out. I’ve read very few things about the film because I didn’t want to read any spoilers, but my only petitions were only two: It has to be new and it needed to adress some problems MLP:FiM had. And the premise of this film kinda does that, which is not only a good thing, but also a good oportunity to see in the future interesting stories for the characters.
The premise of the film is great. Sunny lives in a bay where there’s only earth ponies, since the three types of ponies are divided and they live in different places. The earth ponies live in the bay, the pegasus live in the mountains and the unicorns live in the forest. Sunny doesn’t like the idea that unicorns and pegasus are terrible, so she tries to convince everyone that they’re not dangerous. One day, a unicorn with the name of Izzy appears, she becomes Sunny’s friend and the earth pony, by going out in Equestria, that this friendship is possible. In the meantime, Hitch is chasing her so he can arrest her. At the same time, Sprout, a clueless cop, gets some advices from her mother to become more worried about the security, so he plans to uses everypony for his own sake to the point where he’s powerful.
Kinda… rings a bell.
The art direction is very nice and the characters are surprisingly appealing. The designers definitively went for a more Disney style for the film and I think it fits. After all, one of the reasons why I love MLP:FiM is because it reminded me of an animated Disney film. The only bad thing about that was that sometimes the expressions were maybe too exaggerated for Twilight and her friends, especially Pinkie Pie. This new design allows more appealing without having the opportunity to give them weird faces that don’t fit in the artstyle. Also, the characters are very likeable. I always wanted either an earth pony or a pegasus as the main character for G5 because we already got an unicorn for that in the last 11 years, so a change was necessary. I stopped liking unicorn power back in 2014 because I was saturated of that, but we’ll get to that later.
One of the reasons why I like the premise of the film was that I find it pretty believable. One time the ponies lived in harmony, but that happened many many many moons ago. Now there’s only three cities where no one likes other types of ponies. In fact, they have security measures to stop someone or to run away. And most of these fears and prejudices are there because of the gossip in between them, with false information. We don’t know too much about it, but we don’t have to. Besides, I’m gonna save this information for a final point, because this is gonna be crucial for My Little Pony overall.
The film was algo very funny. Not every joke lands, but when a joke is funny, it’s really funny. I think my favourite jokes are from Sprout. With the exception of his final joke, I think he was hilarious. There are also some puns that made me chuckle, but nothing else. FOr some reason it reminded me of The Simpsons, not only the jokes, but also the context and the sense that nobody’s perfect, that someone can be a little bit selfish or defensive.
As much as I like this film, I have two problems: The first one are the songs. I really like the first song, but I didn’t like the rest of it. Izzy’s song is basically “here’s some toys for your little girl” and Sprout’s song has a very weird choice for a music genre. When I imagine a villain with a song, I don’t think of this 90s music. It’s too light, too bland. I think I like more the songs from the show and the 2017 film because sometimes they sound authentic.
The second problem is this: I like the ending of the film, but I didn’t like the last 3 minutes. As much as I liked the idea of ponies being dependable on magical stones, I don’t think Sunny should be an alicorn. I can imagine her being an alicorn as a transformation that would last for 3 minutes, but nothing more. I really hope Sunny will keep being an earth pony, because I think what makes this film is her determination, not her magical horns and wings.
MLP A new generation is a pretty good introduction to a new type of world of ponies. I’d be lying if I said this is the best MLP film ever. To me, that is still the 2017 MLP film. Not only the film mend my love of My Little Pony after my disappointment with Season 6, but it also has a lot of things that I wanted the show to do.
By the way, I have to mention the lack of magic in everypony. Many people didn’t like the idea, but I’m one of those who love the concept for one specific reason. The pegasus are afraid of the unicorns because of what they can do, so one of their security measures was to put a tennis ball on Izzy’s horn. Same thing with Canterlogic: Most of the devices they have are designed to protect themselves from unicorns and pegasus, especially unicorns. And one of the devices is a helmet that protects them from mind control magic, which is pretty reasonable considering what happened in MLP:FiM. I can imagine a pony dividing the 3 magical stones just because he had a bad friendship with one or more unicorns or even a group of conflicting unicorns.
In other words, the lack of magic prevents this:

I think this idea is reasonable. We like it or not, magic was too much in MLP:FiM, so giving this twist makes sense to avoid overpowered characters who create problems and can get away with it.
If they’re gonna keep going with G5 in the show, there’s a couple of things I’d like to see:
  1. Keep Sunny being an earth pony. If they’re gonna make her an alicorn again, I’d prefer it only for extreme situations.
  2. Keep this art direction. I think it’s great.
  3. Give more episode focused on adventures. Watching three cities is great, and I have the feeling we’re gonna get a similar premise in the show and we would see more towns and more different creatures.
And yeah, I like the film! I wouldn’t mind watching it again.
Background Pony #CF50
@Ring Team
There IS magic, otherwise how would you explain Hitch’s “animal magnet” power, or Izzy’s “luminessense” vision?
TheIronWolf45
Artist -

It’s gonna take awhile to adjust to a newer MLP gen honestly. Everyone already seems invested, but I’m still kinda trapped in G4 with all the art I still do and the stuff I made correlating to it.
Aside the movie, is there any other G5 material?
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
Yeah the fewer relations or connections to G4 characters the better, preferably none, I’m gonna be very disappointed if that happens. Full clean break from any and all G4 cast pls
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
Because otherwise people will waste G5 comparing it to a generation that ended in 2019 instead of enjoying it for its own merit. A significant chunk of the fandom will be watching for old tired G4 references the whole gen instead of actually enjoying the show as it is
Background Pony #6879
@TOMNICE
You can have connections to the original without having to bring in bloodlines, which are sort of an overused trope in fiction anyhow.
Cough Star Trek: The Next Generation Cough
Ring Team
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

@EquusStorm
Completely agree.
In fact, let me rescue a little message I’ve written two weeks ago.
I’m gonna say this: If G5 ended up being too dependent on G4’s “legacy” and references, it would split the MLP fandom into even more factions that don’t see eye to eye. I can imagine the complaints.

“They should have covered this”  
“They should have used that”  
“This character wasn’t in G4”  
“There are retcons”  
“That G4 pony wasn’t as good as this G4 pony”  
“This character should have returned”  
“This G4 episode wasn’t as good as this other episode”

The list of complaints would be looonger than what we already have complained about G4’s shenanigans.

I get the concerns. I was concerned about the last seasons of MLP:FiM when I finished season 7, so I get it. But the last thing the G5 needs to be is to be a tribute to G4 and a compilation of “remember this?” moments. Considering that MLP:FiM has a lot of problems and for the sake of G5 to be exciting, the story, world and context needs to be smaller focused and completely re-engineered, even the little details.

It’s not like G4 was perfect if we have to be honest. If it was, we would notice it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide