IRL Character tag suggestion

Maonyman
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
Artist -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

I wanna go to Equestria
Was told to put this in its own thread.
IRL characters/people/animals such as Lauren Faust, Sergeant Reckless, Verity, etc. currently have their tag get buried down among all the rest of the green tags, making it hard to know who the character is unless you happen to recognize them off hand.
I propose a new category for “IRL Names” or something similar, which would show up near the top of the tag list and be a unique color like purple OC names and cyan official hasbro character names. Maybe indigo or lavender–something in between purple and cyan.
They should really have some way to make their name show up at the start of the list of tags like other characters.
Dragonpone
Unamused - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab

Badge Dragon
@Maonyman
Has always been a little gap in properly categorizing characters; Wouldn’t mind this in theory, but can easily see it getting messy.
*waits for arguments on whether or not religious and mythological figures count as IRL people*
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Dragonpone
Yeah, there’s … a lot of reasons to not do this. Listing those reasons is left as an exercise for the audience, but for a start I’ll just say; “Keeping track of IRL people is not our core feature.”
And, if people want to find images with Lauren Faust on them, you can just search the tag. What color the tag is doesn’t help or hurt that.
One possible reason to do it is that it might make it easier to ensure that all the IRL people in an image are tagged - just count the ‘IRL Critter Category’ tags and if that matches the count of IRL critters in the image, you’re all set.
Maybe another way of doing this is adding (IRL horse) or (IRL Human) to the tags. Like
Sergeant Reckless (IRL WarHorse)
Verity (IRL Rescue Horse)
Lauren Faust (IRL Alicorn and Diminutive Polychromatic Equine Mother)
Not a bad idea, maybe just not one that’s worth the potential development and testing. Adding new colors to the site always seems to result in at least a couple months of “Well THAT didn’t work as expected!”. I mean - we’ve already used 11 of the 8 safest ‘websafe’ colours.
*casually points out that all of us are imaginary and takes another sip of scotch*
Maonyman
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
Artist -

I wanna go to Equestria
…why did you bother telling me to make it its own thread if you were just gonna write an essay on why it shouldn’t be done. And “Lauren Faust (IRL Alicorn and Diminutive Polychromatic Equine Mother)” is just plain terrible.
Maonyman
Artist -

I wanna go to Equestria
“a lot of reasons not to do this” indeed. You’re just afraid of some theoretical argument because of “oh no religious figures.” Give me a break.
I don’t know why I even bothered. Every single time I’ve ever made a suggestion y’all have some bullshit reason not to do it that barely even makes sense, nevermind overrides the positives. But hey, what do I know, I’m just a lowly user.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Maonyman
Because your proposal is a good one. There’s just a lot of reasons that it might not be possible, and as people who work on these behind the scenes we really have an obligation to you to do due diligence to your proposal.
And having it in its own thread means that years from now people will still be able to find the discussion that either led to it happening, or to it not happening and maybe something else happening instead.
Me? I’m fine with it. I can imagine problems we’re going to have getting it to work, but if those problems are solved and the tagging experts want it then I can see how it might be nice.
You’re just afraid of another shitstorm because of “oh no religious figures.”
We’re not afraid of it happening, we’re just not looking forward to it.
Dragonpone
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Badge Dragon
“a lot of reasons not to do this” indeed. You’re just afraid of some theoretical argument because of “oh no religious figures.” Give me a break.
Like I said, I think it would be cool if we could get it to work (albeit, a very large project), but those are the decisions to be made on every tag.
As a genuine question, how would you categorize them?
Maonyman
Artist -

I wanna go to Equestria
And, if people want to find images with Lauren Faust on them, you can just search the tag. What color the tag is doesn’t help or hurt that.
That’s not even the point I was making! When someone pulls up an image of one of these characters they’ve never seen before and glaces at the tags, they will have absolutely no clue who it is. You think people are gonna say to themselves “oh it must have one of the few non-OC, non-official names, I guess I’ll go read through all the green tags until I happen to stumble onto one that looks like a name.” You know as well as I 90% of people aren’t gonna fucking do that. They’re just gonna glance once and see no name and think it has no name and keep scrolling because people are generally lazy and stupid.
I don’t give a shit about the color dude, I care about the POSITION of the tag. Some special color or another just happens to usually go hand in hand with that.
there’s … a lot of reasons to not do this.
There’s just a lot of reasons that it might not be possible
“A lot” of reasons? Yeah I’m gonna press X to doubt. The only reasons mentioned are “someone somewhere might argue about religious figures” (which has an obvious answer if you think for even two seconds) and “colors are hard, yo” (apparently), and I certainly can’t think of any others. You say “This left as an exercise to the reader” as if it’s something obvious when actually no one but you has any clue what the fuck you’re talking about.
You say it’s a good idea and that you must do “due diligence” but then why does this conversation feel like a waste of time? Actually, don’t answer that, I know why: because every time I’ve ever interacted with staff before has been a waste of time.
Maonyman
Artist -

I wanna go to Equestria
As a genuine question, how would you categorize them?
Living/Alive/Real/IRL
People/Creatures/Beings/Characters
Pick a pair of words. Most of them work. I prefer IRL Beings as it’s ambiguous enough to be all inclusive and gets straight to the point. But I’m just logical and straightforward like that.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Ciaran
This doesn’t make a lot of sense.
I’ve wanted a category for this kind of thing for years for all my ponifieds.
Adding suffixes to them is rather silly, cumbersome, and bloating. Nobody wants to type that, search that, or see that.
Dragonpone
Elements of Harmony -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Badge Dragon
More so, this is why I wanted to combine IRL and non-mlp fictional characters into one category.
Would be more satisfied with this, yes.
Would give us categories of:
  • MLP
  • OC
  • Other
Snowy Comet
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Connoisseur of Thinn
Idea: rename the concept of a “character” tag to a “person” tag
The word “person” is suitably generic, species-neutral, applicable to fictional and nonfictional and mythological figures alike, and… I think it would work without cracking that “real-or-not-real” argument open.
Maonyman
Artist -

I wanna go to Equestria
@LightningBolt
I don’t think you should mess with OCs and how they’re tagged. There’s just so damn many of them, and a lot of people get really weird about their OC and how its represented. Nevermind, he dIdNt MeAn iT tHaT wAy.
I like the idea of an “Other” category. After all, there are plenty of pics with characters completely unrelated to the fandom like Sans or Keanu Reeves. That way any character or person could be represented with relative ease, and it even includes religious and mythological figures.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Maonyman
That are the opposite of OCs. OCs (here anyway) are MLP characters man.
If I meant OCs I’d say OCs. I did not mean OCs. OCs have a tag category already. Why would I want to combine them? As much as people tell me I created some of the people I have ponified, I did not create them from scratch. My idea is for everyone from Lauren Faust to Shadow The Hedgehog.
Background Pony #CF13
Another suggestion for the word to call a new category: “identities”.
I could go either way for whether real people and non-MLP-fictional-franchise-non-OC characters go into the same category as real people, or if there are 2 new categories.
I wouldn’t mind if they all share the same color as the “oc” category, while being actually different categories. They serve a similar role of highlighting “who’s in this post that isn’t from the MLP franchise”, and OCs have a prefix to keep them visually distinct.
Maonyman
Artist -

I wanna go to Equestria
@LightningBolt
OCs are often (but not always) based on MLP but they are not MLP characters. MLP characters are characters from MLP. OCs are not from MLP. Therefore “non mlp characters” includes OCs. What you actually meant is irrelevant to what the words actually mean. Communication goes both ways: you have to use the correct words too.
@Dragonpone
I knew they meant that too but “non mlp characters” implies anything not from MLP, and that includes OCs.
Background Pony #CF13
@Maonyman
To be extremely exacting, I guess so. But then you also need to be sure to acknowledge that there are both MLP OCs and non-mlp ocs. There’s a distinction between OCs invented to be part of the MLP world, and OCs that were invented in some other context and just happen to be in the same picture (or part of a crossover, or whatever else.)
In other words: “MLP characters”, “MLP original characters”, “non-MLP characters”, “non-MLP original characters”. So, when LightningBolt wrote “non-mlp characters”, they weren’t saying “non-MLP” in the excessively literal sense of “anything that wasn’t really in MLP”, they meant “anything not in MLP nor based on it by other people”.
Maonyman
Artist -

I wanna go to Equestria
@Background Pony #CF13
TIL interpreting words as they are written is being “excessively literal”
This argument is fucking stupid. And all because he got uppity over me mistakenly (apparently) thinking he was including OCs in his statement–a distinction which literally does not matter to the point of the thread, but no he HAD to make sure to correct me *rolls eyes*
Get back on topic.
To repeat the other half of my post:
I like the idea of an “Other” category. After all, there are plenty of pics with characters completely unrelated to the fandom like Sans or Keanu Reeves. That way any character or person could be represented with relative ease, and it even includes religious and mythological figures.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide