[SFW] Artist's Group Chat

tehwatever
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Artist -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Flutter_Lover I’m going to assume you’re having trouble drawing from memory as an adult. That’s merely bias from your part.  
You’re not losing much retention nor absorption ability compared to you as a child. You’re just more picky of what you absorb and retain.

Your library of references and taste has developed so much from consuming art on a regular basis, but your skills aren’t as developed because you’re not practicing as hard as you consume.

This makes a wide gap between what you think is good and what you can produce. That gap makes the illusion that you did better as a child, when most probably you did as good or even better NOW as an adult.

If you’re a serious hobbyist / beginner artist (I assume you’re serious considering you bought Clip Studio Paint) then you should probably revisit your childhood art and improve on it, be critical towards it and you’ll find that you know and can do better than you did back then, even when drawing from memory.
tehwatever
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

@Flutter_Lover  
oh yeah that happens to me too. That’s GREAT, it means you can visualize your methods but as per any craft, never skip your training or that gap between your vision and your actual ability will get wider and wider.

look at pro athletes and performers, because they’re excellent artists. they train day in day out and they maintain their vision in sync with their abilities so they literally do what they see themselves doing.
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

I’m gonna vent a bit. I struggle to keep up with my training. I try to do the 80/20 rule but goddamnit it’s HARD

Finish 80% of the work in 20% of the time. (saves time, and is faster to see if you want to commit)  
Do 80% of grinding vs 20% of fun drawing. (training session. grinding basics is especially important)  
Study reference 80% vs looking at your own art 20% of the time. (reading and comprehending the reference takes priority)

What are you guys’ experience in training art?

Btw should someone make an Art Vent / Advice thread separate from the current Art Sharing Thread?
Background Pony #92B7
Is there a tag to indicate artists that only have less than 10 pics uploaded? I want to combine it with Six Fanarts to see which ones were “one hit wonders”. Maybe the tag could be “few hit wonder”!
Slingring
Artist -

Dumb Equine
Hello fellow artfags, give me resources to train? Not unlike that shitty anon who gave me that shitty website.  
and before you ban me for using the word fag, its 4chanian language.
Background Pony #27CB
@Slingring  
People don’t give advice or critique in this fandom to my experience, only reason I’m following this thread is that I was told that I could get it here but never got a response when I asked. If you find someplace where you can get some though, let me know.

I think the best and only thing there really is for that would be the Newbie Artist’s Training Ground stuff when that comes up, but at the same time from what I’ve seen it’s more just practice than any sort of critique. Though honestly most improvement in art just comes from reference, practice, and self critique (even though outside critique and directed practice really helps)
tehwatever
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

@Background Pony #27CB  
Show me your work and I’ll give you my opinion. But dont expect it straight away, considering I have a full time occupation, workout schedule and a hobby.

Maybe you’re already much more fundamentally sound than I am, which means I’ll be asking for your critique of my works.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide