Possible changes to "plot" vs. "ass"

Poll results: Which way?

Make butt a superset of both (ass and plot would imply it)
36.00% 9 votes
Keep as-is
36.00% 9 votes
Alias plot into ass
20.00% 5 votes
Only plot subset (of ass/butt)
8.00% 2 votes
Only ass subset (of plot/butt)
0.00% 0 votes

Poll ended with 25 votes.

Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
Having these mutually exclusive makes tagging things related to asses, well, ass. Also, they’re wildly mistagged anyways. A particular problem is that “butt” and “booty” both are aliased to “plot”, so tagging either on EqG leads to a mistagging.  
I think either they should be merged, or there should be one superset (would be on both) tag, so that implications can target it. For instance, “butt” could be tagged on all “plot” and all “ass” images (superset of both).  
Something to note is most ass-related tags use the term ass, so you’re allowed to tag “impossibly large ass”, which implies huge ass and large ass, on a pony image, but not “ass” itself; this is absurd.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag horse
In this instance, I am in favor of one/both being an implication rather than an alias. Having a distinction between pony butt and human/anthro butt is more useful search-wise than having to rely on separate tags like “human” or “pony” to filter the results; after all, the entirety of “human on pony action” is liable to have at least three of the tags.

That said, it’s much easier to manage one tag being a specific subset of the other, rather than keeping them mutually exclusive, and it’d increase the odds of images getting an appropriate tag despite the best efforts of users who don’t know the difference when tagging.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
My concern is that “plot” is often used on unedited screencaps and others without sexual connotations. If we alias it to “ass,” it’d be eyebrow raising given how many images this would apply to. I’m fine with both implying “butt” though, that seems like a good idea. Or maybe have an alias into plot for “pony butt” or “pony ass” so people can use the obvious tags without being wrong.
kleptomage
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

A few points I need to make:

1. It’s true that there is too much overlap in tagging between pony and human/anthro asses. The tags are overdue for housekeeping. Probably the best solution is to merge both plot and ass into a “butt” tag with the “pony” and “humanized/anthro” tags serving to separate them in a search command.

2. “Impossibly large ass” should not imply “large ass” or “huge ass” because I think we can all agree there is a significant difference between an above average size ass and an ass that is twice as large as the rest of the body.

3. Continuing from 2), if you are going to have 3 levels of ass tags (impossibly large, huge, and large) you need to define them or rethink how they are used. What exactly qualifies as “impossibly large” when a lot of the butts under the “large ass” tag, the least of the 3, are unfortunately impossibly large by the standards of real human anatomy? What is the difference between “huge” and just “large?” You need to set some guidelines for tagging if you are going to put the tags in order.

4. People tagging safe screencaps with sexual tags is a separate problem and needs to stop. If the butt/breasts are not the focus of the image or presented in a sexual manner, they should not be tagged.
GenericArchangel
Alicorn Squadron - For supporting the site
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter

Free the Tantabus
@WingbeatPony  
If you are talking about someone’s butt, it’s in a different context then talking about their ass. I think a generic “butt” tag as a catchall could work, with plot being kept in the name of old fandom, but not as a required tag.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag horse
@GenericArchangel  
My main issue with this is that I don’t think most people would ever find a use for the “butt” tag without one of the two tags it implies. It certainly would make life harder than it needs to be for people trying to find safe “butt” images by searching “ass,” which is already an established use case, as mentioned.

The alternative would be aliasing “ass” into “butt” and keeping plot as a subset, but this is a problem because “butt” would be the only visible version of the tag on higher ratings as well, where many of the related tags use the word “ass.” If we’re concerned about the language of the tag, I would wager that’s the worse scenario.
Princess Luna
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@WingbeatPony  
I’m most likely going to make all the “ass” tags use “butt” (some already do) anyways. Urine/pissing/need to pee has the same problem, and I eventually plan to address that.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
With voting over, it seems the most popular* approach is to have “plot” and “ass” imply “butt” (currently, “butt” is aliased into “plot”). It’s not necessarily the best semantic approach, but it certainly is good for quick searching.

*Tied for first and 4 votes for other options are known to consider it a good option as well.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide