Music thread

SleepySteve
Duck - Believes in a quack for a quack. Not a fan of being civil to others.
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

Apples and Pears
Artificial intelligence has been used to extract John Lennon’s voice from an old demo to create “the last Beatles record,” decades after the band broke up, Paul McCartney said Tuesday.
McCartney, 80, told the BBC that the technology was used to separate the Beatles’ voices from background sounds during the making of director Peter Jackson’s 2021 documentary series, “The Beatles: Get Back.” The “new” song is set to be released later this year, he said.
Jackson was “able to extricate John’s voice from a ropey little bit of cassette and a piano,” McCartney told BBC radio. “He could separate them with AI, he’d tell the machine ‘That’s a voice, this is a guitar, lose the guitar’.”
“So when we came to make what will be the last Beatles record, it was a demo that John had that we worked on,” he added. “We were able to take John’s voice and get it pure through this AI so then we could mix the record as you would do. It gives you some sort of leeway.”
McCartney didn’t identify the name of the demo, but the BBC and others said it was likely to be an unfinished 1978 love song by Lennon called “Now and Then.” The demo was included on a cassette labeled “For Paul” that McCartney had received from Lennon’s widow, Yoko Ono, the BBC reported.
McCartney described AI technology as “kind of scary but exciting,” adding: “We will just have to see where that leads.”
Starless
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Artist -
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Prog rock pony
52 years ago today, Emerson, Lake & Palmer released their second album, Tarkus (in the UK at least, the US would have to wait two more months). The first side contains the epic, 20-minute title track, a masterpiece of progressive rock. The second side is nothing but filler (though I do like Bitches Crystal). It’s my least favorite of their first four albums, but still worth a listen for the title track alone.
Compared to other 70s progressive rock bands (King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, etc.), ELP isn’t that great in my opinion. I do enjoy some of their music, but I can see why many people hated them. Keith Emerson just couldn’t stop soloing, though I don’t have a huge problem with that.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
Last Beatles record, and it’s gonna be with AI? Paul please, don’t let a machine be your career’s swan song, please
TheHappySpaceman
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
@Mr.Myoozik
Normally, I would be staunchly against this because AI, but IMO, the headlines are a bit misleading. They aren’t AI-generating his voice, they’re just isolating his vocals from a demo he recorded before he died. (Which is a lot less attention-grabbing so they threw AI in the headline.) Although I’m sure you already read about this.
@Starless
I actually quite love a lot of ELP songs. “Lucky Man,” “Karn Evil 9,” their cover of “Fanfare for the Common Man,” all awesome. Plus Greg Lake wrote one of my favorite Christmas songs, “I Believe in Father Christmas.”
Was saddened in 2016 when Keith Emerson and Greg Lake passed away. They were talented.
♬𝕸𝖊𝖑𝖑𝖔𝖜 𝕽𝖍𝖞𝖙𝖍𝖒♪
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

💙Glass Sight's Chocopon💙
@TheHappySpaceman
Ah, you’re right. So it is basically like a modern version of what Paul became involved in for the Anthology project. Honestly, AI can be used for good, especially to aid in creative endeavors and spark creativity. I know the AI topic can be a bit of a minefield, but perhaps humans need to learn to control it rather than let it get out of hand.
Lastly, I do love ELP. They did get a bit noodly at times, but they were a brilliant group who produced enduring classics!
♬𝕸𝖊𝖑𝖑𝖔𝖜 𝕽𝖍𝖞𝖙𝖍𝖒♪
Non-Fungible Trixie -

💙Glass Sight's Chocopon💙
Last Beatles record, and it’s gonna be with AI? Paul please, don’t let a machine be your career’s swan song, please
As TheHappySpaceman said, it isn’t the AI simulating John’s voice, it’s making his voice clearer by isolating it, possibly from surface noise in the original recording. This might actually be intetesting, and where AI’s usefulness comes in. Then again, maybe “AI” isn’t even the right word. As I said, iy’s somewhat reminiscent of ehat producers did in the early-mid 90s for the Beatles Anthology project
♬𝕸𝖊𝖑𝖑𝖔𝖜 𝕽𝖍𝖞𝖙𝖍𝖒♪
Non-Fungible Trixie -

💙Glass Sight's Chocopon💙
Relevant quote about the McCartney “AI” project, which I found under a YT video on the topic
Edit: Copypasting, since I couldn’t figure out how to add a screengrab somehow)
FlyingPringle
1 day ago (edited)
I think a lot of people are getting lost in the hysteria of the word AI being used in all the headlines. All the articles erroneously claiming this song is being “created” by AI is like saying by using a computer to mix music, that the music is now “computer generated”. There’s nothing new being created here with the AI, the technology they’re using is only separating John’s vocal from the existing mono recording for ease of mixing. They’ve already done exactly what with Get Back and Revolver, but for some reason only now is the de-mixing technology being spun into this weird narrative of “creating new music with AI”. It’s still all going to be 100% human performances, and if it’s anything like Free as a Bird or Real Love, I’m excited to see how it turns out.
Found on the Beatles Bible video “THE LAST. BEATLES. RECORD.”
TheHappySpaceman
Artist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Sweet F.A.
@DerpyFast
I’ve listened to the mix myself a few times, and I have to admit, it bothers me and I cannot figure out how to fix it, which is incredibly frustrating. Any feedback you can give would be much appreciated!
DerpyFast
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@TheHappySpaceman
Listened to it last night, but I was too tired to come up with anything constructive. I’ve had to remind myself how to think like a sound engineer.
I’ve listened a couple of times since, and think it sounds really good. The chorus has been stuck in my head all day. I especially like the synth bit that comes in at 0:50. The only thing I can think of is adding a very slight delay effect to the vocal track in the chorus, to give it a bit more punch.
Outside the realm of mixing, after getting everything balanced, you probably don’t want to re-record anything. But I would add an extra variation to the melody of the chorus in the outro, like starting the second “are we gonna do this tonight” on A, and then hitting a high C for “blue”.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
Someone in a music Discord server I’m in thought that Heartache Tonight by The Eagles was “boogie rock”. Yeah no, Grand Funk Railroad is boogie rock, not the band who gave us Hotel California and New Kid In Town. GFR and The Eagles should not be in the same sentence at all.
@Mellow Rhythm
If dubstep got invented in the 70’s then sure
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide