Unpopular opinion time

DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I don’t consider the comics canon, and haven’t since S3.

Well, it’s all we get as of last October, so…

Was it ever actually confirmed (in the narrative) that alicorn == immortal? My understanding with Celestia and Luna was that immortality was something they learned from Starswirl, or they learned to do themselves in order to fufill their roles.

In the series, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t - seeing as how they were forbidden to discuss death, I’m not sure they’d have been able to mention them being immune to death without violating that policy.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@DoctorWTF

While I understand that they couldn’t use the d-word, there’s nothing really to indicate that alicorns in-and-of-themselves are immune. I mean, if you’re a Faust-purist you probably could, but since Cadence was shown to be young herself at the end of season 2, there’s really no confirmation that alicorns are immortal.

…and even if they were, that in-and-of-itself isn’t a bad thing. I like the movie Highlander too, but not everything involving immortality has to be doom-and-gloom.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
While I understand that they couldn’t use the d-word, there’s nothing really to indicate that alicorns in-and-of-themselves are immune. I mean, if you’re a Faust-purist you probably could, but since Cadence was shown to be young herself at the end of season 2, there’s really no confirmation that alicorns are immortal.
…and even if they were, that in-and-of-itself isn’t a bad thing. I like the movie Highlander too, but not everything involving immortality has to be doom-and-gloom.

I note that there’s nothing to say Luna is immortal. She’s implied to be reasonably old, centuries or so, but that’s not confirmed per say. She could technically be said to be a full millennia younger than Celestia.

In my Fallout Equestria fanfic I split the difference, with masters of harmony (ie, Alicorns) living a cool three hundred years on average, where as a standard powerful magic user could possibly push a little over two hundred, and a healthy pony about a hundred and fifty. The fact that Celestia was pushing two millennia and still refused to die had many firmly convinced that they should start looking for her phylactery or the painting in her attic.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Ebalosus  
There’s also the fact that “Magic Duel” seemed to suggest that age manipulation spells are possible, just requiring an extremely rare level of magical talent. For all we know, Celestia and Luna had been casting that on themselves every couple of decades.

And wasn’t Granny Smith mentioned to have been present at the founding of Ponyville several centuries ago? For all we know, any pony with a moderate to severe case of old can just head on over to Canterlot and get cured - the old farts we’ve seen on camera are just those who’ve chosen to let nature take its course.
Latecomer

@DoctorWTF  
The more that’s applied, though, the more the pony/human equivalence at the heart of the show starts breaking down. The characters relationships with each other are all written with a normal lifespan in mind, I think - it feels like the Manes are young adults and the CMC kids and so on.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@DarkObsidian

Opening scene to Winter Wrap Up.

Twilight Sparkle: No Spike, Ponyville was started by Earth ponies, so for hundreds of years they’ve never used magic to clean up winter. It’s traditional. [sigh]

Of course a few seasons later Granny Smith was shown to be around for the founding of Ponyville.
rdibp
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

Kerfuffle lover
Pretty sure Ponyville being centuries old is something that was retconned.

I don’t imagine that Granny Smith is actually hundreds of years old.
Dex Stewart
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Ecto-Phase,Activate!
@Cosmas-the-Explorer  
This is what happens when several different people are involved with a big show,and everyone has their own ideas of what is best for the show.  
It’s fun too try and figure out how everything works in Universe though.
DoctorWTF
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Age manipulation really should not be a thing. You can’t forget that Starlight once turned herself and Starburst into fillies again. At least they did get old alongside everyone else, but damn…

It could simply be a cultural thing, with relatively few ponies having any interest in giving nature the pony equivalent of the middle finger. Which would also raise the question of whether they believe in any sort of afterlife (obviously, when you can’t talk about death, it’s hard to talk about what might come afterwards).
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@Kiryu-Chan  
Do remember also that Twilight is strangely misinformed at times.

In fact this is fairly consistent. With Meadowbrook being an eastern unicorn, Ponyville founded thousands of years ago, and Griffonstone being a thriving kingdom, Twilight clearly needs some new books.
DarkObsidian
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Economist -

Smiling Panzerfuchs 2.0
Twilight Sparkle: No Spike, Ponyville was started by Earth ponies, so for hundreds of years they’ve never used magic to clean up winter. It’s traditional. [sigh]

Well, that’s true. But I prefer to interpret the sentence as referring to Earth Pony’s traditions in general. There will certainly be other villages founded by Earth Ponies.

It still seems to me without any proof within the show that Earth Ponies live centuries therefore rather unlikely. That they can be very long living, okay. Maybe even over 100 (earth) years. They work very hard (practically replacing cars and sometimes trains with pure - magical? - muscle power), eat apparently quite healthy, apart from certain cakes and sweets, and so on. But a few centuries?

Well, that would raise a lot of questions. Also very interesting, I must admit. For example, about the whereabouts of Rockhoof’s tribe. But I prefer not to go into too much detail. Otherwise the question comes from somewhere: How long does an Equestria “moon” last. Therefore, I withdraw my original question because the source material seems a little too meagre for my personal taste. ;-)

In any case, only we as older fans can be that critical. But that’s actually a good thing. ;-D
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Pretty much. It’s overdone for cheap angst.

@Kiryu-Chan

For instance, when Celestia claims “I don’t think I’ve ever come across a unicorn with your raw abilities” to a younger Twilight, in Cutie Mark Chronicles, remember that back in Season 1, the word “alicorn” didn’t exist whatsoever, so that’s also saying that she has more raw abilities than Luna, who was stated in the opening narration to be a “unicorn,” and it becomes questionable other than that as early as when someone as powerful as Sombra shows up and is described as a “unicorn” also. Was she being 100% truthful, then? Lying to boost her confidence? A half-truth that excludes a given period of time since she saw such?
Philweasel

Right About Everything
@AC97  
Luna has never seemed that impressive to be honest. Aside from her dreamwalking abilities (which are legitimately unique and impressive), I can certainly see even unicorn Twilight as being superior to Luna in raw potential. The comics and books show Luna struggling as a child with even basic magic, and she doesn’t seem astonishingly accomplished as an adult.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Dustcan

One season later, as it’s confirmed (or at least stated) that Granny Smith was there to see Ponyville’s founding. A continuity snarl yes, but not one I’m particularly hung up on. I’m personally in the its been around longer than GS camp however.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Ebalosus

It’s an easy fix for any number of in-story explanations. The simplest being Twilight misspoke.

Even out-of-story it’s one errant line vs an entire animated climax of an episode, which itself got referenced a few times later on. It’s clear which one you’re supposed to take over the other.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide