Unpopular opinion time

AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

All of which is related to her special talent. Again I’m compelled to bring up hitting Discord with a sleep spell in the comics, and it working. Luna’s dream powers are actually kinda OP, though in fairness she is occasionally vulnerable to the things inside the dream (though the only things that have ever seriously challenged her are things from Discord’s dreams).
Let’s also consider that the Tantabus was HER creation.

Good points, although I’ll note that Discord, aside from being tired and surprised, seemed like he didn’t oppose letting it through, with the dead pose and rose.

It’s also true that she basically “absorbed” the Tantabus as a part of the resolution, so in a sense, it’s not just her creation, it’s a part of her. it’s kind of like All Bottled Up and its anger bottle, except a few more steps, come to think of it

Don’t get me wrong, she’s no scrub. Again going to the comics (where she occasionally gets to win fights, instead of going down like a scrub in five seconds to any edgelord who tries), Luna actually rarely loses. She’s beat Chrysalis handily. She held her own against shadow beasts, well after everyone else went down (Twilight was still a unicorn at this point). She dueled against a heavily powered up Rarity, twice (Nightmare Rarity, and Darkwater Rarity) and held her own both times. She overpowered Applejack and Pinky in a melee.
Luna is strong, but still nothing suggests to me that she would win in a fight against say… Tempest Shadow, Starlight Glimmer, Princess Twilight or her sister.

Hmm, that tidbit about Chrysalis, even if she quite possibly had less power in that circumstance in the comics, reinforces that she was lucky that Luna was somewhere doing nothing in A Canterlot Wedding, and that no one thought of getting her into play during the attack, not even one Royal Guard somewhere or something (seriously, was she just asleep?). Sure, she might not have won given Celestia just lost, but it would’ve been something.

The former two would generally be the type to try and sneak attack Luna, because if there’s been one thing that’s been demonstrated for both Tempest and Starlight, they don’t play fair, especially if they might have a raw power disadvantage.

EVERYTHING we’ve seen of him pretty much implies that. Even without the comics (which are… dubious canon for the most part) Luna and Celestia face him together, he never seems scared of them, and he duels final season Twilight fairly competently. He also apparently beat Starlight Glimmer without any difficulty.

In any case, when Celestia and Luna beat him together in the flashback, whether he set it up ahead of time or not, he did manage to seal away the Crystal Empire with him for a thousand years, and regarding his duel with Twilight, when it came down to a beam struggle, Twilight ended up visibly and audibly straining, right before her friends came into play, whereas Sombra just seemed angry, aside from how he drained Cadance’s stamina over time, and his magic obviously can affect alicorns, including his crystal prisons that block teleports, and he can block the magic casting of powerful unicorns entirely (Shining Armor).

…it’s also worth noting that he grew his own horn back without using any spell whatsoever, which is obviously not something pretty much any normal unicorn can do, arguably not even alicorns, depending on your headcanon, on if that’s related to a high amount of power one possesses no matter the race, as opposed to just biology.

so in hindsight me saying that was “Captain Obvious”

@Philweasel  
@Brass Beau
She’s great in the comics. It’s interesting because I find her dull in the series on occasion, but the comics manage to write ‘introverted, stoic Luna’ really well. She’s the main character in some of the comic’s best stories.
It helps that she’s not OP. She’s cool and badass, but she normally needs help to get things done. She’s always threatened, but never helpless.

I kind of find her hard to “get” regarding series portrayals, although part of that might be not watching her episodes in quite a while. I’ll probably have to check out her comics.
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@AC97  
Going just on her series appearances requires a lot of extrapolating. The comics are a good source of characterization, even if it doesn’t always mesh well with the show.  
Going just on the show we can see she has self esteem issues, genuinely cares for her subjects, has a playful side that she hides behind stoicism due to her title and passes wisdom using her own experiences as an example rather that just saying it in a motherly tone like Celestia does.
Ebalosus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Build commie blocks!
@Angrybrony

It’s funny to see how it’s gone from “please give us more Luna!” to “Ok, we don’t need that much Luna. What about more Celestia?” I mean, is Luna Eclipsed still a good episode, or have people’s opinions towards it cooled as well?
Brass Beau

Howdy from Shimmer Pope
@Ebalosus  
I’m still down for more Luna (ALL HAIL THE LUNAR REPUBLIC) and I still like the episode. I think by season four or five the show could easily do more episodes focusing on characters other than the Mane 6, the CMC or Spike. At least every fourth or fifth episode.
Philweasel
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Right About Everything
@Philweasel
Good points, although I’ll note that Discord, aside from being tired and surprised, seemed like he didn’t oppose letting it through, with the “dead pose and rose.”

I’ll still take it. On a par with Starlight dispersing him, it still takes a bit of raw power to do something like that to Discord, even if he wasn’t taking it that seriously.  
The former two would generally be the type to try and sneak attack Luna, because if there’s been one thing that’s been demonstrated for both Tempest and Starlight, they don’t play fair, especially if they might have a raw power disadvantage.

Starlight definitely. She’s probably the least ‘powerful’ archmage in the show.

Tempest on the other hand is absurdly strong, and I’ve never really worked out why. I mean the physical skills I can chalk up to heavy training and being a big girl, but breaking her horn should not explain why she can block a blast empowered with the magic of all four princesses. I mean I get Starlight challenging Princesses because she’s never relied on power, but Tempest’s horn blasts seem on a par with Nightmare Moon and the Overfiend Flurry Heart.

@Brass Beau  
@AC97
Going just on her series appearances requires a lot of extrapolating. The comics are a good source of characterization, even if it doesn’t always mesh well with the show.

Be aware there’s two Lunas. One is a lot of fun, but so discordant with her show characterization that she straight up can’t be fitted into canon (though one of her best known stories was pretty much adapted for her part of Royal Problem).  

The other is much closer to her show appearances, where she’s quiet, calm, dignified and very sweet, with ironically the problem that she takes herself a little too seriously and doesn’t know how to be funny.  

Like many Luna portrayals, this is mostly down to the content being written before Luna Eclipsed had nailed down her actual characterization.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
@Nightmare Fuel  
I think they play off each other very well, though I would’ve liked if the episodes were less of one of them (mostly Trixie) hurting the plot and the other having to put up with it and more have the both of them on an adventure together where none of them are in the wrong.
Sadrai

@Jaredking203  
I was more talking there friendship is magic designs since besides her eyes Derpy Design isn’t all that special but Snips and Snails designs have body types you rarely see in the show if at all.
AC97
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

I’ll still take it. On a par with Starlight dispersing him, it still takes a bit of raw power to do something like that to Discord, even if he wasn’t taking it that seriously.

Touche.

Starlight definitely. She’s probably the least ‘powerful’ archmage in the show.
Tempest on the other hand is absurdly strong, and I’ve never really worked out why. I mean the physical skills I can chalk up to heavy training and being a big girl, but breaking her horn should not explain why she can block a blast empowered with the magic of all four princesses. I mean I get Starlight challenging Princesses because she’s never relied on power, but Tempest’s horn blasts seem on a par with Nightmare Moon and the Overfiend Flurry Heart.

I think a better indication of her power was say, her doing what she did with that airship, because with the Storm King trying to blast her, those magic/lightning bolts seemed like they weren’t channeling the full power of the Princesses, because you’d think it would’ve looked more like this if he were actually doing that. Twilight had destroyed the section of the bridge her and her friends were standing on earlier in that movie.

Nightmare Moon had displayed her power by how much damage she casually caused that old castle, and Starlight destroyed that bridge in her debut.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not denying she’s a very powerful unicorn, but it’s really up for debate just how much oomph the Storm King was putting into the blast that blew both of them back from her trying to directly counter it, for multiple reasons, including how she earlier went for surprise dropping an anti-magic cage onto Twilight to capture her instead of a direct confrontation, because she likely knew she was weaker (which ties into her not playing fair aside from those Obsidian Orbs).
Twi Clown
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Übermensch in training
While I overall think Equestria Girls did well warts and all, I never really liked the idea of making Spike a dog. His relationship with Twilight works more as a either siblings or mother/daughter (pick your poison here, I’m just trying to make a point) so making him a pet feels kinda wrong for me. It doesn’t help Spike was pretty out of focus for the most part.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@Twi Clown  
I heard McCarthy say the reason why Spike was a dog in the movies was because, and I’m paraphrasing, that “you couldn’t have Spike be in a backpack if he were human, but a dog can fit right in”.

That’s probably the most ridiculous excuse I’ve heard in my life. She must have had a secret reason that she didn’t want to disclose.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Explorer in Training
@Twi Clown  
I saw a long time ago some comment I believe on an old eqg drama image on this site. Honestly it’s quite possible Mccarthy never made the comment. Maybe I’ll go see if I can find the Derpibooru comment(s) I saw on this rumor.

But if I were to give a reason why Spike became a dog, it probably was an executive decision since Hasbro might have seen Spike as a pet character. Or at the least saw him as a way of getting a toy pet for Twilight.
Twi Clown
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Übermensch in training
@Cosmas-the-Explorer

Yeah, but as my opinion stand still, I don’t really like that concept of Spike being a pet. At least he’s Twilight’s assistant, it’s her Igor to Frankenstein or the Watson to her Sherlock. Well, maybe not Igor, but you get it.
Cosmas-the-Explorer
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Explorer in Training
@Twi Clown  
I agree. It does Spike dirty. I think it plays into the Spike as a Slave mentality instead of as a normal kid. (I’m being hyperbolic about the slave part but you get the idea.) I prefer seeing Spike as more of an equal than a pet.  
And I think that it’s shallow to see Spike as just a servant of Twilight. I prefer to think he’s gathering experience so that when he grows up, he can be a butler or something.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide