MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ

Yeah I get that. MLP has always been for little girls so it makes sense that it had exclusively female leads. Don’t want little girls catching boy cooties and all that.

This generation catching a wider male audience does mean it has an opportunity to expand representation though.
SparkleDash

Professional Shipper
@Mikey  
I can’t give it a chance when they killed my beloved Princess!!!

We don’t know that. This is set a long time after.

Twilight was supposed to live forever. This is like if you did a sequel to The Bible and said “Yeah, that whole eternal life after death thing? That’s over!!! Everyone who ever lived is dead FOREVER, including even Jesus himself!!!!! Now, buy our toys.”

And why does it matter if ONE guy is a mane character? Is it really that big a deal?

There are only five main characters. If there were 100 or so, it might be acceptable to have a boy, but not when there are only five. It’s a girls’ show!

I hate how guys in G4 are treated like absolute morons and the girls are the only ones that are good at anything.

I think that was perfectly fine and that the female characters were the best and most interesting part of G4. If you want a male hero, go watch any other show you can think of. G4 was for girls.

And hun, let me tell you something. This is the internet, of course there’s going to be toxicity, you can either ignore it, or let it affect you. Your choice.

But why do the G5 crew members have to take part in the toxicity?

@ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ  
The male characters don’t need to have power. It’s a girls’ show.

@Background Pony #5A42  
If they’re gonna do that, set it in a different universe instead of killing off all the characters we love so much!!! 😢

@ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ  
No, it’s still a girls’ show.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ  
The protagonists are still predominantly females, but I would argue the show has never been Shojo.

While Lauren Faust was still driving it, the story lines were almost always been about some sort of high-stakes adventure, and focused on friendship and courage rather than on romance. And with very few exceptions that remained the over arcing thrust of the series.

Sure, there were episodes that focused on being true to ‘one’s self’, but the amount of fan service alone I think puts “Friendship Is Magic” more firmly on the Shonen side of the line than the Shojo.

I mean, heck … even The Royal Wedding was more fight than romance.

If this were a manga it would clearly be on the shelf next to Shokugeki no Souma and One Punch Man. It might even show up periodically in Shonen Jump’s weekly.
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@SparkleDash  
@SparkleDash

You know, you clearly hate the show without even having seen it. To the point that you’re not ok with others discussing what they do like about it.

You aren’t going to make Hasbro not do the show, it’s already done. It’s ok that the show is diverse and representative, and if that bothers you that’s fine but others are welcome to embrace the show’s diversity and inclusiveness.

So, maybe let’s just take it as read, ok?

Given your past history, we’re really trying to give you a chance, but please don’t abuse it.
xLeadMarex
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

Extremely indecisive!
Twilight was supposed to live forever

Personally, I never liked immortality.  
This isnt an AU thread but in my redesign of G4 that I am drawing, all princesses arent immortal anf they dont last 1000+ years. Instead, they all have the same age as any other pony and all a similar body height.

Especially since I hate Celestia-tall pony characters and immortality is depressing to me.

And as a genuine Princess Twilight Sparkle fan, I don’t want her to be depressed or insane. xD
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@xLeadMarex  
Yeah, I feel that was explored enough in G4 what with all the heroes coming back from the dead and not having any idea how to fit in any more, and Celestia’s periodically lifeless eyes when she thought about all the years and decades and centuries of friends that have already died. Enough immortality for one franchise for awhile.

Besides, if they REALLY want to bring those characters and actors back into the show for some reason, there’s portals and time travel. So … yeah.
xLeadMarex
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Extremely indecisive!
@phoenixacezero  
In the season finale, Twilight Sparkle’s model had been replaced with a Princess Celestia reskin, and she had the same ethereal mane as Celestia and Luna. She had been made immortal or in this case had boosted lifespan like Celestia and Luna. Point blank. I just treat it like fan service and consider it just showcasing what a show-accurate version of an A.U. would look like.
DaddyMakesMeEUHH

(ヽ^ゝ^)ちわー!
If this site existed in G3, i can imagine the same complaints here.

I don’t think g3’s fandom was ever as toxic as g4’s is. From what I’ve seen, the adult fans were chill and understanding, in fact I think they were only there just to collect toys.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
But why do the G5 crew members have to take part in the toxicity?

Please show me where they did. Please.  
I think that was perfectly fine and that the female characters were the best and most interesting part of G4. If you want a male hero, go watch any other show you can think of. G4 was for girls.

Good for you, I personally don’t like it, and neither do many others.  
Twilight was supposed to live forever. This is like if you did a sequel to The Bible and said “Yeah, that whole eternal life after death thing? That’s over!!! Everyone who ever lived is dead FOREVER, including even Jesus himself!!!!! Now, buy our toys.”

Again, how do you know she’s dead????
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide