MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Toastypk
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).

Royal Advisor
I finished watching all of the Chapter 4 episodes.
What surprised me a lot was seeing freaking Celestia and Luna! But even then, we don’t know the extent of what is going on, and we know that Opaline isn’t a reliable storyteller. (And guess what! A number of comments I’m reading seem to agree that she might not be.) There’s more going on here.
And what exactly is Skyros? Thats the place where supposedly she said she grew up in with Celestia and Luna… but she seems hard to trust. At least Misty has finally fled!
One other thing, I hear people always comparing G5 to G4, and in a negative way, which I suppose is natural. But you know what? It isn’t G4. In fact, here’s some food for thought- I’ve liked to compare the two to Final Fantasy 7 and 8. FF7 was a major hit, revolutionizing the series and bringing it into more popularity and famousness. FF8 is still a very good game, but expecting it to surpass the previous one isn’t realistic. It’s it’s own thing, and enjoy it!
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
I’ve liked to compare the two to Final Fantasy 7 and 8. FF7 was a major hit, revolutionizing the series and bringing it into more popularity and famousness. FF8 is still a very good game, but expecting it to surpass the previous one isn’t realistic. It’s it’s own thing, and enjoy it!
Oh my hoofness, before G5 even came out, I legitimately said I felt that G4 and G5 would be like Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII respectively on a pony forum. I AM NOT MAKING THIS STUFF UP. XD
Background Pony #78BB
@Toastypk
I think Opaline lies to Misty more often than she tells the truth but her being from Skyros might be true.
Amphibian Swamp
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Y’know. Before I hated Sunny, I still felt it was odd that she always wore that bag. Like, even if she’s simply just going downstairs to make breakfast or watch a movie or somethin’. Like, I understand if she’s planning to go out into town and when doing stuff outside the Brighthouse. But most people put on their backpacks, shoulder bags or grab their handbags right before they leave. Not when they get up in the morning…
You don’t need your bag to make breakfast… or watch a movie…
Hitch wearing his accessory all/most the time makes sense if you think about it.
Pipp wearing hers so much isn’t as silly as Sunny. Only time wearing it is “pointless” is when having a shower (she might take it off and out it back on straight after) or when sleeping, it would be uncomfortable
Izzy and Rocky are fine.
Jazz… I suppose if it’s comfortable, doesn’t get in the way and she’s working/will work /has been working that day, it would make sense if she wears it all day
Queen Haven makes sense, and was explained to be part of her personality in the movie. Tho, after the return of magic she may take off her accessories before getting into bed
Background Pony #78BB
I don’t think the dragons will accept the ponies so kindly. But then again they could act completely different from the way they used to. I just hope they are not too silly to realize that they are in danger.
Jonny Manz
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

I am who I am
@Toastypk
@CloudMistDragon
Honestly, I kinda liken G5 to what Wayne Campbell said about Star Trek TNG: in many ways, it is superior, but will never be as recognized as the original (that being FiM, haha)
@Background Pony #78BB
Yeah, I think that her coming from Skyros and knowing Celestia and Luna while they were all fillies are both true, but other parts have certainly been twisted by her
@Background Pony #78BB
Yeah, that should be interesting
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Yet more stray thoughts: (this chapter really left an impression on me)
The fight with Opaline is the first time we’ve seen Sunny act cocky since The Movie. Her whole journey has been about building her confidence back up, and it was really satisfying to see that side of her again.
At first, I really didn’t like the idea of Misty going undercover. But it might be cool to explore the idea that Misty believes that she needs to put herself into bad situations in order to be useful, and then have her move past that.
CloudMistDragon
Artist -

Misty Shadow
@Toastypk
@CloudMistDragon
Honestly, I kinda liken G5 to what Wayne Campbell said about Star Trek TNG: in many ways, it is superior, but will never be as recognized as the original (that being FiM, haha)
…Guess what? I’ve said the exact same thing on a pony forum too. You guys are KILLING ME, I’M DEAD. XD
Jonny Manz
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am who I am
I just realized I haven’t given my “brief” thoughts about each episode, I think I should remedy that.
Bridlewoodstock:
Definitely the weakest part of the chapter, it just seems kind of padded, with some of the background voice performances being a little too cartoony for my liking; it’s still good, but not great, kinda like Chapter 1
But unlike Chapter 1, the visuals and animation were absolutely spectacular, almost movie quality at points; the songs were also very good, better than “Everything is Gonna Be Ok”, though that one wasn’t bad, by any stretch; I do wish there had been more than 2, considering it was a music festival; the main and guest voice performances were great; overall I have positive feelings for it
Top Remodel:
Holy crap, what a great episode - all the character dynamics were absolutely nailed, it was nice to get an answer to what was going to happen with the former Canterlogic factory, and the sense of humor was on-point too - I loved that it leaned into Pipp’s love of horror, for one thing, and the return to the main storyline was welcome
I also liked that Misty was starting to question what exactly she was doing, poor girl
Sprout, in particular, was perfect in this episode, as he still seemed mostly like an annoying mama’s boy, but he did also seem to be chastened… somewhat - I also liked the fact that the series continued the feeling from the movie that it gives no respect towards him; I do wonder why Phyllis was only given a blink-and-you’ll miss it background cameo, but oh well - there’s probably enough to work out between Sprout and his mom that it would have to be mostly its own episode
The song was also great, and well-integrated into the episode
The Jinxie Games:
Another stellar episode! The nonsensical rules of the games were highly entertaining, and the running gag of Hitch being continually screwed out of trophies was also very funny; it was nice to see Cloudpuff again, and once again, overall, the humor was on-point
Of course, the highlight for me was Queen Haven and Alphabittle, and how much the episode leaned into their relationship, with them even sharing a kiss at one point (that I missed on first watch!), and that gag of the shipteases for Pipp and Zipp with Hitch really sent my sides into orbit
And man, that moment when Misty finds that photo of her with the Mane 5 - what a sweet moment, and how Sparky gives it to her to take with her, with her repaying the favor by depositing him back on the doorstep of the Crystal Brighthouse
Sunny Side Up:
Another strong outing! The highlights of this episode were the Misty and Opaline portions - the filming of the Sunny Side Up in-universe show, however, was also entertaining, as it was nice to see Sunny and Hitch act like surrogate siblings
Yeah, Opaline’s version of grounding seems like abuse, chaining Misty to one spot, completely unable to move for hours at a time - I also liked the bits of comedy with Opaline, having a persistent cough, and complaining about having to hike for the Dragonstone, with the scenes of her blasting the rocks being surprisingly satisfying; Misty accidentally activating her magic, and then seemingly not realizing it, was also quite funny
And then the little tidbits that we got of Opaline’s backstory - do I believe they were 100% accurate? No, but I think Skyros and her knowing Celestia and Luna when the 3 of them were fillies were indeed true - speaking of which, I think all 3 of those designs were super cute; I also love the fact that it caused a lot of “true fans” to jump to unfounded conclusions and then proceed to shit their pants over said conclusions - business as usual for the fandom, IOW
The Manesquerade Ball:
Yet another really great episode! The dialogue was a little bit clunky in the first part of the episode, but I loved the Mane 5’s getups for the ball, and Rocky’s and Jazz’s excitement over being invited was also great
The episode really picked up for me when Misty decided to seek out the Mane 5 because she missed them, and also was undergoing inner turmoil at that point - her getup is almost heart attack-inducing levels of cute
Easily the highlight for me was Misty bonding with Zipp - like, on the surface, it seems unlikely that they would, what with Zipp being the most skeptical of the Mane 5 and Misty having plenty to hide, but I like that Misty was able to lean into both of their dislike of attracting excessive attention, and the way she revealed the fact that she had no cutie mark to throw Zipp of her trail was brilliant, with her partial emotional breakdown afterward almost bringing a tear to my eye
The subplot of Sunny trying to teach the Mane 5 the Unity Dance was as entertaining as it needed to be, the song was once again great and well-integrated, and it was nice to get more Queen Haven and Alphabittle - I wonder if they were implying anything by the way that Alphabittle looks closer at Misty
Finally, I love that Misty gave Zipp the book about Alicorns, but tore out the pages that were presumably about Opaline, demonstrating her turmoil
A Little Horse:
This was a wonderful little breather episode before the finale of the chapter; when I read the blurb, I was wondering about similarities to A Day in the Life, and while there are some broad similarities, I think MYM does enough different with the concept to make it worthwhile - it feels like a nice little character piece, with Sunny going to whatever lengths she needs to to get what Pipp most needs, Izzy brewing a tea that was always helpful to her, Zipp having a great sister dynamic and trying to protect Pipp from herself, and Hitch attempting to keep her entertained through various means
There were so many really funny moments in this episode, from a lot of Sunny’s exchanges with Queen Haven, to one of Izzy’s teas accidentally giving Pipp Izzy’s voice (I bet it was a lot of fun for Ana Sani to mimic AJ Bridel’s delivery), to Zipp taking Pipp’s phone from her and the subsequent failed effort to get it back, to Pipp giving notes on the play put on by Hitch and the critters, which pisses Kenneth off to the point that Hitch declines to translate his chirps
I also like that Misty shows up eventually; I also think it’s a nice character moment that Pipp is the first pony that Zipp decides to show the results of her detective work to, as it shows that they have a sisterly bond, and so Zipp, despite anything else, intrinsically trusts Pipp most of all
Sure, Misty’s there, but that’s mainly so she can relay to Opaline just how much Zipp has figured out and get things ramped up for the next episode
I want to end off by saying that I love the title - since it’s a pun because Pipp is sick, but also leaning into the fact that Pipp is the smallest of the Mane 5
Missing the Mark:
What an ironic name for an episode, as this one is anything but missing the mark! Misty once again fell victim to the cycle of abuse, as the bit of love she had gotten from Opaline had her returning to her familiar life and attempting to steal Sparky, though she does try to back out, a bit too late
Opaline demonstrates that she is perhaps irredeemable once again, or at the very least must be punished before being redeemed, as she essentially says she’ll let Sparky drown once she’s done draining his magic
Misty tries to do the right thing by getting the Mane 5 but once again only makes things worse by getting them trapped by Opaline - the scene of them realizing that Misty had been working for Opaline all along was genuinely heartbreaking, and the acting is great, especially Bahia Watson as Misty - I also like when Misty tries to explain why she did what she did, how conflicted she sounds
It also makes it all the more triumphant when Misty finally has had enough, and comes to the decision that she would rather do the right thing and never get a cutie mark than do the wrong thing to get one - in broad strokes, it reminds me of the CMC saying they didn’t mind if they ever got a cutie mark; and also like the CMC, Misty gets a super flashy cutie mark acquisition, which is also really satisfying
Then, the fight between Opaline and Sunny is actually pretty epic, with Opaline attempting to brute force a win by blasting nonstop, and Sunny being smarter and first running, then putting up small shields when she Alicorns up, with Sunny being able to strike the decisive blow after receiving a boost from her friends; I also like that while Sunny was clearly victorious in the battle, the war is far from over, and Opaline, in broad strokes, actually succeeded in what she had set out to do, and is looking to power up further so she can guarantee herself all the magic in the Crystals - she feels like a genuine threat
I do wonder about the implications of the ending, whether Misty will continue to live with Opaline and act as a double agent, or if after Opaline went back to her study to scheme some more, she left and won’t return - speaking of implications and Opaline’s study, anyone notice how Opaline has the chest that sprouted Twilight’s castle? I wonder if there will now be some drilling down into lore, looking into what Argyle had found all those years ago
Overall, a really stellar chapter, easily the best stretch of MYM we’ve gotten yet - if it didn’t quite reach the heights of ANG, it came damn close, and is the first piece of G5 material that I think I can say that about.
Jonny Manz
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am who I am
@DerpyFast
Yeah, I bet it has to do with her getting the new Alicorn form, and only just starting to get more comfortable with it Or maybe it’s something to do with now having something big to accomplish, once again, to make the world a better place, instead of the more minor things like starting the community garden
And yeah, that could be interesting, that Misty feels she needs to self-flagellate to atone for her sins, and to work past that mindset
Background Pony #78BB
When Opaline uses dragon magic, the blue part of her mane, wings, and throat glow.
Mr.Myoozik
StarTrix Forever! - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Music Connoisseur
To me the funniest part of The Jinxie Games is the fact that the rules and the games themselves make absolutely no sense yet everyone accepts it as regulations, even Queen Haven herself is fine with it as long as it provided entertainment for her and Alphabittle
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide